Yay! Burnt Lake Road has been repaired!!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
rplaeger

Yay! Burnt Lake Road has been repaired!!

Post by rplaeger » October 2nd, 2015, 3:15 pm

Great news! The Forest Service has just completed repairs, actually very heavy maintenance, on the road to the Burnt Lake # 772 trailhead (FS Rd. 1825-109) in Old Mid Flat area. It will now be suitable for the many passenger vehicles that make the trip to this popular trailhead.

After I had a number of conversations with Bill Westbrook, District Ranger at Zigzag, about the poor condition of the road Bill scouted it with his road manager and put it on the priority list for maintenance in 2015. This is an example of how Bark is trying to get the agency to focus its very limited road maintenance funds on the roads that provide public access to important trails and recreation sites.

If you’re glad the road has been repaired it would be nice to thank Bill Westbrook and reinforce the idea of prioritizing recreation access roads for maintenance ([email protected]). Last year the Forest Service only had enough money to properly maintain ~ 16% of the approx.. 3,000 miles of roads in the Mt. Hood area. Thus it makes little sense to spend money to maintain old, unneeded logging roads that don’t go to trailheads, campgrounds or other recreation areas.
Enjoy the smooth ride to this great trail,
Russ Plaeger, Restoration Coordinator @ Bark

ssinfo503

Re: Yay! Burnt Lake Road has been repaired!!

Post by ssinfo503 » October 2nd, 2015, 3:22 pm

Back to May when I hiked this trail in early morning, I heard wolves' howling. On the way down, I run into a group of people who asked me if I saw a wolf. That confirmed indeed there were wolves in that area.

Guy

Post by Guy » October 2nd, 2015, 5:05 pm

rplaeger wrote:Great news! The Forest Service has just completed repairs, actually very heavy maintenance, on the road to the Burnt Lake # 772 trailhead (FS Rd. 1825-109) in Old Mid Flat area. It will now be suitable for the many passenger vehicles that make the trip to this popular trailhead.

After I had a number of conversations with Bill Westbrook, District Ranger at Zigzag, about the poor condition of the road Bill scouted it with his road manager and put it on the priority list for maintenance in 2015. This is an example of how Bark is trying to get the agency to focus its very limited road maintenance funds on the roads that provide public access to important trails and recreation sites.

If you’re glad the road has been repaired it would be nice to thank Bill Westbrook and reinforce the idea of prioritizing recreation access roads for maintenance ([email protected]). Last year the Forest Service only had enough money to properly maintain ~ 16% of the approx.. 3,000 miles of roads in the Mt. Hood area. Thus it makes little sense to spend money to maintain old, unneeded logging roads that don’t go to trailheads, campgrounds or other recreation areas.
Enjoy the smooth ride to this great trail,
Russ Plaeger, Restoration Coordinator @ Bark
Great news indeed, I haven't been shy about criticizing the FS over the long term dilapidated state of this road so I'll be sure to send an e mail of support to Bill now that it's fixed.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » October 3rd, 2015, 6:56 am

That is wonderful news!
Woodswalker

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » October 3rd, 2015, 7:08 am

Yay, that is great news! Thanks for talking to Bill and helping make this happen!

It's been a few years since I've been up there, but I don't remember there being a whole lot of parking at that trailhead. Maybe room for 20 cars, tops? Now that more cars can get up there, have they increased the amount of parking?

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » October 3rd, 2015, 8:39 pm

justpeachy wrote:Yay, that is great news! Thanks for talking to Bill and helping make this happen!

It's been a few years since I've been up there, but I don't remember there being a whole lot of parking at that trailhead. Maybe room for 20 cars, tops? Now that more cars can get up there, have they increased the amount of parking?
I can't imagine that being a problem until the first Saturday after Memorial Day next year. Hell, now that the road is fixed they'll close and lock the gate... :lol:

Aimless

Post by Aimless » October 8th, 2015, 7:30 am

I thought I'd say how pleased I am to have this road in better shape. I also endorse the idea of letting the FS in the ZigZag Ranger District know that you approve of this use of scarce funds.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 8th, 2015, 7:41 am

I just drove on it, much better, didn't go all the way but the worst part was maybe at the beginning

I think all they did is put gravel down, so in a few years it may be back to original condition. I think they dug out where pot holes were so that should make it last a little longer. They also did some work in Lost Creek and Riley campgrounds

Too bad Riley is closed. They often leave it open. I saw a few people camping wherever they could find a spot. At least they haven't closed the bridge across the Sandy yet :)