Canyon Creek Meadows 9/25

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jgreisel

Canyon Creek Meadows 9/25

Post by jgreisel » September 24th, 2015, 1:28 pm

We had made plans to do a little road trip at the end of August. Unfortunately, the wildfires made the first part of our trip a little on the smokey side, but it was still enjoyable.

Here is the sunrise
smoky sunrise.jpg
We camped at Jack lake for a night. It was going to be 2 nights, but the yellow jackets were overly abundant and aggressive, so we decided to change our plans a little.
happy tenter.jpg
The lake was pretty low
jack lake.jpg
After our setting up camp, eating dinner, it was bedtime. We woke up in the morning and packed everything up, so when we were done with our hike, we could just hop in the car and continue on our trip.
getting started.jpg
snack time.jpg
happy hiker.jpg
smoke on the mtn.jpg
tfj pano.jpg
what do you see.jpg
trees.jpg

This stump, with the fireweed, only had 1 fireweed growing out of it a few years ago.
fireweed.jpg
The creek was really low. In the lower meadow, it wasnt even running. There were some wet spots, but no actual water until you got closer (maybe 0.5 miles) to the mountain.

It was so smokey, once we got closer to TFJ, that we only stayed for about 5 minutes. The smoke was better as we got closer to the lake. Maybe if it was smokier at the lake the yellow jackets would have been subdued.

We spent the next night in Bend at a hotel. It was my wifes birthday, so it was a nice treat. We then spent the next 4 nights at La Pine state park. We hiked along the Deschutes river trail and saw Benham falls and an old cave. We also headed down to Fort Rock and checked out the homestead museum and hiked around the trails at Fort Rock.

It was a great trip and our 9 month old did amazing on her first camping trip. :) We are hoping to make it a backpacking trip next year.
See more pics on my blog: http://cjsjaunts.blogspot.com/

the hiking nurse

Re: Canyon Creek Meadows 9/25

Post by the hiking nurse » September 27th, 2015, 2:40 pm

Wow! that's the cutest baby ever....except for mine of course :) Looks like an awesome trip. Congratulations.