Summerland - Mt Rainier 9.12.15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
miah66

Summerland - Mt Rainier 9.12.15

Post by miah66 » September 17th, 2015, 8:31 am

Opening Pic:

Last weekend a group of us took a trip to Mt Rainier, an area that we regularly forsake for closer and less touristy destinations. That is a shame, because it's awesome! It took about 3 hrs 10 mins to drive to the White River Ranger Station on the SE side and secure our overnight permits to Summerland. Reservations highly recommended, required even. No walk-up permits were available at 7am, even in shoulder season, and there was a line. :shock:

The weather was lovely to start the morning. On the drive in, fog was drifting around the valley and over the water near Mossyrock Reservoir. We drove through many bucolic scenes, and crossed paths with and elk, though with a destination in mind, photos were not secured. Once we had watched a 15 minute video at the RS (for what purpose I cannot say), we drove to the overflowing Frying Pan creek TH. It was about 10:30am and cars were lined up and down both sides of the road for about 1/4 mile.

Starting off:

The trail to Summerland is actually a section of the Wonderland trail. It begins in a lovely old forest, and is (relatively) flat for the first couple of miles. In fact, this section, I'm told, is about the most level section on the entire 90 mile Wonderland Trail. That's good to know!

You eventually come to a small overlook of the trail's namesake creek, Frying Pan:

It was flowing pretty good for such a dry year, I'm sure that has to do with the glacier that supplies it, still intact up top...for now.

Fall colors along the way:

We were slowly climbing the whole time, though the actually climbing was coming up, soon after leaving the lowland forest and entering the subalpine zone. Here is the unofficial demarcation line, a crossing of Frying Pan creek on a sturdy log bridge with a slight slant(!) to it. The huckleberry bushes and vine maples were just spectacular, and the first views of Rainier since the drive in were coming.

Zoomed in on the flank of Mt Rainier, you can make out it's initial "R":

Though some say it's a "P". Retired Jerry, what do you think? :lol: Think Hood's "47".

Switchbacks ensue, and after some grunting and puffing, and the first REAL climbing on the trail, you will see the first signs of Summerland.

Wait, not those signs, these ones:

Summerland shelter:

Summerland residents:

Summerland visitors:

People were obviously everywhere. In fact, it's been awhile since I've seen so many people on the trail. Seemingly group after group were out on this spectacular, sunny fall weekend, and who could blame them?

Just past the shelter, the trail continues on around the mountain, up towards Panhandle Gap, the highest point on the Wonderland Trail at 6750'. The way up is splendid. No words!:

Looking back:

Shortly, another crossing of Frying Pan creek, this one near the glacier:

Not too much left of it, though:

The eye of Sauron:

Adventuring higher, to the Gap:

You have arrived:

You can see the Wonderland Trail disappearing off to the right, heading down into the valley at Indian Bar.

Ohanapecosh Park in the distance:

Mt Adams to the South East:

The evening was pleasant enough, and then as night took hold, the winds begun. A front was scheduled to move in on Monday, so we anticipated good weather until then. The mountain had other plans, as it often does, and the dust and wind continued blowing unabated until around 3am. Skies were clear though, and great stargazing as there was no moon. Probably 10-15 mph sustained and a couple of 25-30 mph gusts kept the tents flapping for hours. The sudden stillness in the middle of the night was almost as jarring. As I awoke around sunrise, I poked my head out and saw gray all around. The wind had blown the fog from the valley up the flanks of the mountain and now, we were in the cloud bank.

Matt scrambled up high after sunrise to snap a photo of the fog rolling over a ridge:

Being down in clouds, we took a leisurely morning and hoped the fog would dissipate. It did, and we explored more of the area near Panhandle Gap and Summerland:

Water does bro-ga:

Summerland is gorgeous, you guys:

Could...not...stop...taking...pictures....

I love fall backpacking!

Close to 14 miles, 3000' eg
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

drm

Re: Summerland - Mt Rainier 9.12.15

Post by drm » September 17th, 2015, 9:42 am

Quote the coup, getting a Summerland permit. I assume you submitted for it right at the start in March? I have a permit for this weekend at Rainier (not Summerland) and the forecast is not nearly as good.

Water

Post by Water » September 17th, 2015, 10:31 am

camped around summerland--it was nice. But frankly I am glad we did not get the summerland shelter proper (first desire for our group)..total zoo there.
Last edited by Water on September 17th, 2015, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Arturo

Post by Arturo » September 17th, 2015, 10:54 am

Looks like a great trip man. Wow. Admire all you backpackers that rough it in the woods.
Unless there are cabins or yurts along the way ... with beds, toilets and showers ... I'm strictly a dayhiker.
Though Van Marmot's Yosemite High Sierra Camp trip could get me into a tent.

This is more my speed when it comes to camping ...

http://www.costanoa.com/

:shock:

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » September 17th, 2015, 11:28 am

I keep meaning to take a backpacking trip to MRNP, but I really don't like having to get a permit. I know the reason for the permits, but still having to go on those specific days and stay in predetermined locations.

Your pictures make me reconsider my opposition.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

drm

Post by drm » September 17th, 2015, 11:57 am

Born2BBrad wrote:I keep meaning to take a backpacking trip to MRNP, but I really don't like having to get a permit. I know the reason for the permits, but still having to go on those specific days and stay in predetermined locations.
vs.
Born2BBrad wrote:Your pictures make me reconsider my opposition.
That's the tradeoff. I think it's worth it once or twice a year. But as somebody who goes backpacking dozens of times a year, it's easier to make that choice.
Looks nice, but that's camping? Maybe that was your point. There are many attractions to dayhiking, but I remain convinced that the full charm of the wilderness can only be experienced by spending the night.

Water

Post by Water » September 17th, 2015, 12:02 pm

Brad,

As I consulted with Steve (who had the permit in his name) and we searched for camping and such, and had to adhere to the specific zone and warning that if we were in any way visible from trail--we'd be told to move, etc--I really felt the hassle of this permit. Along with watching a 10 minute totally NPS generic, 15 year old VHS movie on LNT practices..totally unrelated to Rainier. The ranger then spoke with us for 5 minutes going over stuff that made sense. ...anyways, it gave me huge appreciation for the freedom of wilderness. Give me wilderness anyday, even more so if it is like the Wind Rivers that just have a log book I put my info in and not a ridiculous high school era scantron sheet to fill out.. /end water's rant (or maybe /just the start of Part I of III of water's rants).

That said as drm said, a time or two a year, I can deal.. but it just makes the contrast that much greater too
Last edited by Water on September 17th, 2015, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Charley

Post by Charley » September 17th, 2015, 12:07 pm

RE: backpacking in MRNP

I have the luck of being employed on the weekends and free usually on Tuesday/Wednesday. I also try to go backpacking in the fall more than in the summer (though I do go to the Desert in early summer every year). With that in mind, I'd like to point out that I've had a relatively easy time getting backpacking permits at RMNP for fall trips.

If you're scheduled the way I am, it may work to roll up to the Wilderness Office in the morning some time and ask for a permit to camp in the general vicinity of your destination (my destinations have been mountains to climb). If there's not an actual site available, you might be able to get a camping permit for a cross country zone. Those are for use 1/4 mile away from the trail. You can often find truly excellent sites away from the madding crowd!

Above Spray Park:
mt rainier038.jpg
Above Indian Henry's Hunting Ground:
mtrain037.jpg
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Arturo

Post by Arturo » September 17th, 2015, 12:16 pm

drm wrote:
Looks nice, but that's camping? Maybe that was your point. There are many attractions to dayhiking, but I remain convinced that the full charm of the wilderness can only be experienced by spending the night.
Exactly.
I just can't sleep on the ground (or an air bed).
Never fails to end up a sleepless night.
Which leads to a dog tired day.
And not a very fun overall experience.

miah66

Post by miah66 » September 17th, 2015, 12:22 pm

drm wrote: I remain convinced that the full charm of the wilderness can only be experienced by spending the night.
My sentiments too. I usually grumble about the heavy load on my back during the day, but when I'm at camp in the evening and all the people are gone, I'm happy to be there. Usually when Carissa and I dayhike, we get to our turn around, and say "Man, I wish we were camping!"

Actually...nevermind...camping is terrible! :lol:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider