Loop day-- Lost Lake / Cloud Cap / Trillium Lake 9/15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Loop day-- Lost Lake / Cloud Cap / Trillium Lake 9/15

Post by pdxgene » September 15th, 2015, 6:12 pm

Lotsa miles on the car today even the drive was a loop as Joan and I took off on a little adventure.. On the road at 7a starting out at Lost Lake a bit before 930..

Fall colors on the loop around Lost Lake with Lost Lake Butte in the background..

And along the trail...

Just before leaving Lost Lake about 11ish..

Arrival at Cloud Cap.... BRRRR!

Penstemon hanging in there at 6,000'...

Cloud Cap Inn... By the way, the road is brutal. I wouldn't even try in my car. Yet someone took a Mercedes up there. Seemingly questionable judgment thru those water bars...

At Cloud Cap...

Quick 10 second stop at Sahalie Falls...

The completely dry meadow at Trillium Lake, usually one step into this thing and you're in water today we were able to follow paths across it to nice scenes like this..

The 'trail'...

What appears to be a lone surviving paintbrush...

A cormorant let us get within feet without paying much attention..

One of the three beaver lodges along Trillium Lake..

Finishing up with a couple herons in a tree... There were actually three but the other is out of range to the right and we didn't even know he was there until they took off...

It wasn't much of a day for Mt Hood pics or much of anything with the sky in it but there was still plenty of things to see.. Slide show here http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/LostLake31

woodswalker

Re: Loop day-- Lost Lake / Cloud Cap / Trillium Lake 9/15

Post by woodswalker » September 18th, 2015, 7:33 am

Wow, those are great pics of the birds. The only wildlife I usually see there, are teenagers at the dam area beach.
Woodswalker

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » September 18th, 2015, 3:42 pm

Thanks... :)
There's a much nicer coating of snow on the mountain today though this time around it probably won't last long..

NW Yeti

Post by NW Yeti » September 19th, 2015, 8:44 pm

:) Besides taking awesome pics, you are always able to locate the neatest things, be it birds, animals, wildflowers, waterfalls, and on and on the list goes. We're gonna have to call you Sherpa Gene! ;)
Hiking is never about the destination, it's about the adventure!!!

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » September 20th, 2015, 6:36 am

NW Yeti wrote::) Besides taking awesome pics, you are always able to locate the neatest things, be it birds, animals, wildflowers, waterfalls, and on and on the list goes. We're gonna have to call you Sherpa Gene! ;)
Thanx...:)
I'm generally alone with nothing but free time on my hands to look for stuff.... :lol: