4 day (counter clockwise) Timberline Trail, 8/17-8/21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Jaya

4 day (counter clockwise) Timberline Trail, 8/17-8/21

Post by Jaya » August 22nd, 2015, 1:44 pm

My wife and I just got back from an amazing 4 day, 3 night trip around Mt. Hood on the Timberline Trail. Tried this trip last year, heading in the clockwise direction but got turned around by snow halfway around... definitely not an issue this year.

Got a late start on day 1, leaving Timberline a bit before noon. We ended up stopping to camp immediately prior to Newton Creek at around 5 PM. There were a couple of excellent campsites on a nice stream that fed into the too silty to drink Newton Creek.

Our second day we started just before 8 AM. This was definitely our most challenging day. We didn't see a lot of great camping options for the first few hours of our hike (I really like camping next to a water source), so stopping at Newton Creek ended up being a good choice. Our day involved a lot of uphill hiking as we knew it would. I was surprised by how much more exposed this part of the trail was than on the other side of the mountain, some seriously beautiful views.

As with a lot of people making this hike the part we were most apprehensive about was the Eliot washout. My 2 cents is that its not all that bad. Heading counterclockwise you hit the washout and it does look intimidating. But we followed the ridge downstream on a well worn trail until it eventually turned back upstream, and started heading down into the washout. It was very clear to see where the trail was and follow it down. In addition you could clearly see the trail on the opposite side. There was a rope to help you on your way down in one section but my wife and I had no problem scrambling down with just trekking poles. Once we hit the creek we scrambled back up river until we found a suitable crossing that we walked across. We then followed the trail up the other side. This part was a lot steeper, but we took it slow, going up one at a time, and only occasionally needed the rope for support. Once at the top the trail clearly heads to the right and downhill.

Our goal was to make it to Elk Cove which we did at around 5 PM. At this point we decided to push on towards Cairn Basin so we could get to the Sandy River early the following day to relax and soak our weary feet in the river. Mistake? We got to Cairn Basin at around 7 but found there to be no water. There was a muddy "stream" that in a normal year probably would have been fine, but no luck this evening. We decided to carry on and mistakenly ended up at Eden Park about a 1/2 mile off the Timberline Trail. We found a beautiful campsite next to a stream and meadow but were surprised by the lack of marking at the trail head. At Cairn Basin the Timberline Trail veers off to the left while if you continue on straight it takes you to Eden Park which eventually loops back around to the Timberline Trail. We talked to at least one other group of back packers later on that made the same mistake.

Day 3 was great. We started around 8 AM saw a lot of hikers heading up to McNeil point, and ended up down at the Sandy River around 3:30. We took the PCT trail rather than the Timberline trail when we hit the junction to save a few miles. I've done both and the Timberline Trail in my opinion is definitely the more scenic of the options, probably worth the extra couple miles. We crossed the Sandy, headed up the trail a couple hundred yards, and set up camp on a creek that runs parallel to the trail, another prime spot. We spent the rest of the afternoon reading & soaking our feet and legs in the surprisingly not freezing cold Sandy river.

We got an early start for our final day, leaving camp around 6:45. Lots of elevation gain but beautiful nonetheless. We were feeling good and driven by the thoughts of a hearty lunch so we set a pretty good pace and finished by noon.

Few notes:
* Eliot washout is challenging and potentially dangerous, but if you are tackling this hike you probably are a somewhat experienced backpacker. I wouldn't let it stop you. Of course the trail is rightfully closed so you'll be taking a calculated risk. If you do it just be careful and take it slow.
* Had no issues finding water along the trail, even in a very dry year. We carried five 750 mL bottles which were always more than enough
* We didn't find any of the river crossings to be challenging, but again we are getting towards the end of summer in a very dry year
* Trekking poles were a lifesaver, both on the river crossings and climbs
* Our first 3 days we were moving pretty slowly, depending on how hard you wanted to push it you could probably cover the miles a bit quicker
* If you are thinking about doing this hike... do it. Spectacular!

joerunner

Re: 4 day (counter clockwise) Timberline Trail, 8/17-8/21

Post by joerunner » August 23rd, 2015, 5:41 am

Great report. I was up there yesterday. You're lucky you finished before the smoke arrived.

LostTexan

Post by LostTexan » August 29th, 2015, 8:32 pm

Thanks for the trip report- made me want to do this someday! Dont you just love finding the perfect campsite? By the way, what did you guys eat on your trip and how did you plan the meals and such? I'm trying to plan a multi-day backpacking trip and looking for tips.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » August 30th, 2015, 11:51 am

Thanks for the report, especially the details on campsites and such. Timberline is hopefully the next thing on my to-do list, if I can swing the time off before the snows set in. Couple of questions, for Jaya or whomever: First, you went counter-clockwise, whereas most people seem to go the other way (as the Field Guide suggests)--what are your thoughts on one way vs the other? Second, if one were starting from Cloud Cap, would a counter-clockwise hike end with some drama or would it be a yawner hiking back to the starting point. I'd like to start with Eliot "just in case," but prefer something semi-exciting near the finish of a hike if possible.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 30th, 2015, 12:14 pm

That's what I was thinking, counter clockwise from Cloud Cap in case I decided to chicken out on the Eliot crossing. You wouldn't probably want to cross above because you'd have to walk a long ways out of the way. The ropes would be good.

I wonder if anyone's crossed just below the original trail, like Tom and the Forest Service has proposed.

IHC

Post by IHC » August 30th, 2015, 7:32 pm

Great trip report. I've been curious about the trail's upkeep particularly Eliot Crossing and the southwest flank which possibly sustained damage or erosion in recent years (?) My daughter & I just back packed up Vista, up to McNeil, down to Eden and a quick side to Elk Cove. We, too, missed our original turn at Cairn Basin, but realized our mistake before getting too far down the trail. More signs would indeed be helpful but I bet you don't regret the Eden Park experience.

ripley

Post by ripley » August 30th, 2015, 8:14 pm

Hoping to do this trip CCW this weekend Sept 4-7.. wonder if the rains have changed the crossings significantly? Glad to hear it was a great trip and crossing elliot was not a big deal. Thank you for sharing the details of your trip!! :)

Jaya

Post by Jaya » August 31st, 2015, 1:02 pm

LostTexan wrote:what did you guys eat on your trip and how did you plan the meals and such? I'm trying to plan a multi-day backpacking trip and looking for tips.
I'm not much of a gourmet check on the trail, so we just got dehydrated meals for dinner. I've got a jetboil stove that I love which makes boiling water a snap and fast. Each morning we did instant oatmeal with some granola & dried fruit thrown in. Lunches were a bagel sandwhich day one, then just trail mix, jerky, and other snacks. One word of caution, after our second day chipmunks got into our packs and ate all the nuts & granola from our bags. Good luck with your trip!

Jaya

Post by Jaya » August 31st, 2015, 1:11 pm

texasbb wrote:Couple of questions, for Jaya or whomever: First, you went counter-clockwise, whereas most people seem to go the other way (as the Field Guide suggests)--what are your thoughts on one way vs the other? Second, if one were starting from Cloud Cap, would a counter-clockwise hike end with some drama or would it be a yawner hiking back to the starting point. I'd like to start with Eliot "just in case," but prefer something semi-exciting near the finish of a hike if possible.
The only reason we went counter-clockwise is I had tried to go the other direction last year and had to turn around at McNeil point due to snow. If we had to turn around for any reason this year I wanted to see some new trail at least. I think either direction is fine. As far as starting at cloud cap I think that would be a good idea. If you went counter clockwise you would finish by hiking up Gnarl Ridge and crossing the high point on the trail. It would be a lot of climbing, but some spectacular views, definitely not a "yawner". And if you camped at Newton creek the previous night it wouldn't be that many miles.