My Montana summer...so far...

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
tambli22

My Montana summer...so far...

Post by tambli22 » July 23rd, 2015, 2:19 pm

I moved from Bend, OR to Philipsburg, MT for a seasonal position with the Forest Service at the local ranger station. I work on the Beaverhead-Deerlodge NF and have spent most of my weekends exploring the Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness which is only about a 45 minute drive from my house. Below are some pictures of the amazing scenery I've seen to date.

Storm Lake to Upper Seymour Lake 6/13/15

Goat Pass

Upper Seymour Lake from above

Lunch with a view

Cooling off

Johnson and Rainbow Lakes Backpack 6/26/15 to 6/28/15
Sunset at Johnson Lake

I caught a fish!

Super stoked to have reached Rainbow Pass and be done climbing.

View from Rainbow Pass

More lunch views

Tamarack Lake Backpack 7/3/15 to 7/5/15
Turns out taking an unmaintained trail to cut two miles off the hike isn't really much of a short cut.

Plus, you get injuries when you slide off one of the many downed trees you climbed over

But you also to get to wake up to views like these

Taking in the views

Moose!

A truly magnificent place to spend the summer!

bushwhacker

Re: My Montana summer...so far...

Post by bushwhacker » July 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm

Very nice. Hike,camp,fish,play with the dog. Doesn't get any better than that. Bet the wilderness areas over there have far fewer people around then anything around Bend. I still want to get over to the Bob Marshall wilderness.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » July 23rd, 2015, 8:23 pm

Oh man! I used to go to Philipsburg when I lived in Missoula a decade ago. Is that awesome candy store with the fudge and peanut brittle and tin ceiling and actual person playing a piano in the corner still there? How about Steve Neal's photography store? (Possibly still run out of a shed at his house...) And the annual accordion festival? :)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » July 24th, 2015, 8:56 am

Man, you are living the life! Good for you. Your dog is really cute. I love the belly in the snow picture. My black dog would totally do that to cool off :).
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

tambli22

Post by tambli22 » July 24th, 2015, 9:03 am

bushwhacker wrote:Very nice. Hike,camp,fish,play with the dog. Doesn't get any better than that. Bet the wilderness areas over there have far fewer people around then anything around Bend. I still want to get over to the Bob Marshall wilderness.
I've definitely experienced a fair amount of solitude on my hikes so far. A few people camped at the lakes but I've actually yet to see a person on the trails themselves. Pretty darn awesome!

I wish I had the time to get over the the Bob but I don't think it's in the cards this summer. I am planning to hit the Bridger Wilderness in WY the first week of September before heading back home. I'm stoked!
Oh man! I used to go to Philipsburg when I lived in Missoula a decade ago. Is that awesome candy store with the fudge and peanut brittle and tin ceiling and actual person playing a piano in the corner still there? How about Steve Neal's photography store? (Possibly still run out of a shed at his house...) And the annual accordion festival? :)
The candy store is definitely still here and doing well from what I can tell. I'm not much of a candy person but there is a brewery in town now and that's been super great. Not sure about the camera shop. Phlipsburg is a tiny but darn cute little town.
sprengers4jc wrote:Man, you are living the life! Good for you. Your dog is really cute. I love the belly in the snow picture. My black dog would totally do that to cool off :).
It's definitely been a pretty great summer so far. Having a dog to hike with has definitely helped me feel more comfortable in a Forest that I don't know and is pretty full of bears. She's been a great hiking companion for the past 7 years.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 24th, 2015, 2:32 pm

You're so lucky! What gorgeous scenery! :D

ErinL

Post by ErinL » July 26th, 2015, 6:58 pm

Awesome! I'm leaving for Montana and Wyoming tomorrow. Your pictures have me psyched!

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » July 27th, 2015, 7:13 am

Summer jobs in or near the wilderness are the best! Great to see photos of that area.
woodswalker