Mississippi Head (7/14)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mjuliana

Mississippi Head (7/14)

Post by mjuliana » July 19th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Mt. Hood is a familiar friend of our family. Our kids have spent most of their winter weekends, as well as a few summer days, zipping and zooming around her slopes with skis strapped to their feet. We’ve become well acquainted with her winter clothes but when not wearing her white robes, she is less familiar. Over the last several years as hiking has become more important to me, I’ve tried to get to know the summer Hood and share that with my family.

Which brings me to last Tuesday – it was the last day I had to hike with my oldest this summer before he was off to North Carolina to start grad school. While he was home, we had hiked Silver Star, Saddle Mountain, McNeil Point, and Silver Falls together. All great hikes but we needed something truly spectacular to send him off with…something to remember Oregon by. How about Mississippi Head? After looking at my pictures from last fall, he quickly agreed. Joining us was my youngest who has been on many of my adventures over the last two years.

We started at Timberline Lodge at about 9:45. The main lot was half-full with ski team vans from all over the west. Summer training on Palmer attracts skiers, young and old, from all over the world. This summer has been a struggle with the low snow conditions though. We were downloading (riding the lifts down) for a race in late May. In normal years, you can ski down to the lodge into August and only have to download at the very end of the summer.

Palmer Snowfield from Timberline Lodge

From Timberline Lodge at about 6,000', we gradually lost elevation as we worked our way towards Paradise Park crossing the dry Little Zigzag on the way. We encountered several families out for a stroll and a couple of backpackers. One of my favorite spots along this section is the Zigzag Canyon Overlook. From here we also got our first good view of our destination for the day - Mississippi Head.

The boys jumping for joy as the see how much climbing they have to do...the V shaped cliff band is Mississippi Head

The trail switchbacks down to the Zigzag River where we took a quick snack break. River was easy to hop across. It was a 3-rock hop.

The boys enjoying a snack at the Zigzag River...

From here, we had 5 miles and 3,300' of climbing to do broken into 3 segments - up to Paradise Park, from Splitrock up to Mississippi Head, and then from Mississippi Head up to 8,000'. The first segment felt great - the boys set a fast pace and it was good to be climbing. I just wish I could say the same about the other 2 segments...

Junction with the Paradise Park Trail

I know Peder will say you can get up to Mississippi Head from here with a little less off-trail :D but the boys had never been to Split Rock and wanted to go see it. So...across Paradise Park we went. I kept looking up at Mt Hood and the clouds would occasionally break but most of the time, the summit was clouded over. Hopefully that would change...

Where's the top?

The flowers were mostly past their prime but the Pasque flowers were going strong.

Lost Creek

And finally Split Rock! The boys quickly climbed to the top where they posed for a few pictures and then got down to the business of lunch.
Mandatory on top of Split Rock shot...

I love hiking with my boys but they make me feel old at times. After lunch, I pointed them in the direction to go and they quickly left me behind. For as good as the climb out of Zigzag felt, the climbing now was not so fun... :x :x

Sandy Canyon and the headwaters of the Sandy River

We picked our way through the ravines trying to take the easiest way up. After a bit of this, the boys convinced me to take a more direct route up this rock wall.

What boy could resist this? See them scrambling?

This scramble dumped us near the high-point of Mississippi Head where we relaxed for a few minutes and soaked in the view. The boys of course wanted to go down to the tip to check out the wreckage and the ski jump...

Looking down the ZigZag Canyon from Mississippi Head. The overlook can be seen in the upper left...

B-29 wreckage...

Ski Jump at the tip of Mississippi Head

As many have said, the only trick to this hike is to make sure to climb up to 8,000' before traversing across the top of ZigZag Canyon. From the tip of Mississippi Head, that's another 1,000' of climbing. There were a few patches of snow but nothing steep and traction devices were not needed. As we were doing this part of the climb, the clouds cleared from the top and gave us great views of the summit complex of Mt Hood.

Finally...at 8,000' and enjoying the view of the summit...

Here's why you want to get to 8,000' before traversing the top of Zigzag. This snow patch funnels down into the top of the canyon. A slip any lower...well...you don't want to do that...

Traverse over the top of ZigZag

Ben enjoying the fast way down....

Almost back to the lodge...

For grins, I compared my route from last fall (blue) to Tuesday's track (red). This time it was 10.3 miles and just under 4,000' of climbing.

Was another great day getting some vitamin D. :D
Thanks,
Mike J

Arturo

Re: Mississippi Head (7/14)

Post by Arturo » July 19th, 2015, 4:38 pm

Nice trip report Mike. These are times they will look fondly on. Took my son up to Indian Point today. Had the place to ourselves. He thanked me more than once. That's when you know you've made an impression. They are the stewards of the future.

Guy

Post by Guy » July 19th, 2015, 8:08 pm

Great Report Mike, and well timed as we did the same loop today but now I don't need to write a report ;) ...

I'll just drop my video of the hike on your TR!

https://youtu.be/NJvv2Dh8ymM
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » July 19th, 2015, 8:48 pm

Arturo wrote:Nice trip report Mike. These are times they will look fondly on. Took my son up to Indian Point today. Had the place to ourselves. He thanked me more than once. That's when you know you've made an impression. They are the stewards of the future.
:) :) :)
Thanks,
Mike J

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » July 19th, 2015, 8:51 pm

Guy wrote:Great Report Mike, and well timed as we did the same loop today but now I don't need to write a report ;) ...

I'll just drop my video of the hike on your TR!

https://youtu.be/NJvv2Dh8ymM
Nice video Guy! Hopefully it was a little cooler up there and then down low. Driving through the Gorge today, temps got close to 100...
Thanks,
Mike J

Jim57

Post by Jim57 » September 18th, 2015, 8:54 pm

Jim57 and bro in law Petr did Mississippi Head Saturday Sept 12th. We were thinking counterclockwise? Hadn't seen any trip reports about that direction. Why not? It was easy enough getting above Zig Zag. But looking down on it all and trying to find Mississippi Head was working out too well. I failed at downloading a track onto my garmin 62 the night before and didn't get it down. I thought my mt hood map would suffice. Ha! We were stumbling around up there and ran into another hiker and asked "where?". He smiled and said it was mocking us. 1/4 behind us. He took us there and also pointed out the propeller. Thanks. Went down the west side of zig zag and home safe. Pass at least 25 people heading toward paradise park.
Attachments
DSCN4236 - Copy.JPG

Peder

Post by Peder » September 19th, 2015, 12:47 am

Jim57 wrote:We were thinking counterclockwise? Hadn't seen any trip reports about that direction. Why not?
I have done the loop in both directions, the CW option gets the dip into the Zig Zag Canyon out the way early and seems a more logical direction. I certainly prefer the CW version...
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…