Timberline Trail, June 17-20, Pics

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
wexcellent

Timberline Trail, June 17-20, Pics

Post by wexcellent » June 21st, 2015, 11:43 pm

I went through my pics from the trip and put a lot on Tumblr at https://www.tumblr.com/blog/wexcellentadventures.

Here are a few of my favorites:
031.jpg
032.jpg
033.jpg
051.cairn camp.jpg
071.jpg
118.jpg
128.jpg
"There are no ordinary people - you have never talked to a mere mortal" C.S. Lewis

mjirving

Re: Timberline Trail, June 17-20, Pics

Post by mjirving » June 22nd, 2015, 4:46 am

OK...I gotta ask...did you hike in those? :-)

Hagbard Celine

Post by Hagbard Celine » June 22nd, 2015, 6:39 am

Awesome shots! But yea I second the bewilderment at the shoes...seeing all the tennis shoes and sandals miles deep into a hike (I'm looking at you Eagle Creek!) sure does make me feel old. :mrgreen:
“I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.”
― Booker T. Washington

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » June 22nd, 2015, 8:43 am

Same question about the shoes...
Thanks for the report and congrats to your daughter on an outstanding hike!
Ann
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

wexcellent

Post by wexcellent » June 22nd, 2015, 8:51 am

I took my daughter to REI recently and she tried on basically every women's hiking shoe/boot there and didn't feel good about any of them. Her feet have basically stopped growing and I was prepared to buy her the most expensive pair of shoes she's ever owned.

Anyway, she did Jefferson Park in the snow last year in her Converse AllStars so I figured better something she felt good about than something she didn't. I know, a little crazy, perhaps even irresponsible as a parent, but it all seemed to work out with no blisters and no slips. And for some reason I was the one always stopping to empty out my over the ankle hiking boots. Go figure.

Steve
"There are no ordinary people - you have never talked to a mere mortal" C.S. Lewis

Alpenglow

Post by Alpenglow » June 23rd, 2015, 4:58 am

Glad you had such a great trip!
Where was the Lupin pic taken? How were the flowers at Paradise Park?
Dream as if you'll live forever...Live as if today's your last

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 23rd, 2015, 5:26 am

You also don't mention blow-downs, am I to assume that they were few and inconsequential for you hike?

Thanks!
Mike

wexcellent

Post by wexcellent » June 23rd, 2015, 6:05 am

Alpenglow: The lupine picture was taken down in the Newton Ravine up towards the South side. The whole hill was purple. We didn't do Paradise because we both wanted to say we'd done the whole Timberline Trail. We are saving it for a day or weekend hike, maybe next year. I haven't done a ton of this kind of hiking but the flowers seemed over the top in the Meadows area and from McNeil over to Eliot but they were pretty much blooming everywhere. There were still lots of avalanche lilies in spots from Cairn to McNeil. There was a lot of Beargrass over above Meadows and in other places as well. The lupine was scattered, with what look to be vast areas still weeks from blooming and other areas going off right now. So many flowers I don't know!

Mjirving: The blowdown situation wasn't even noticeable. Maybe 5 - 10 trees we had to go over without leaving the trail to do so.

This pic is from the South end of Meadows.
112.jpg
Clark:
114.jpg

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 23rd, 2015, 7:11 am

Nice...that's what I figured. Thanks!

Paul2

Post by Paul2 » June 23rd, 2015, 12:11 pm

Are the flowers at Elk Cove and Cairn Basin at their peak right now?
I've been wandering early and late, from New York City to the Golden Gate, and it don't look like I'll ever stop my wandering.
-James Taylor