The Table/Forked Butte: 6/19/15-6/20/15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Born2BBrad

The Table/Forked Butte: 6/19/15-6/20/15

Post by Born2BBrad » June 21st, 2015, 7:07 pm

Who: Me (Born2BBrad) & Jim (Jim57)
When: 6/19/15-6/20/15
Route day 1: Bingham Ridge TH (4290’), Lake of the Woods Trail (5340’), Hunts Creek Trail (5630’), PCT (6015’), secret trail cutoff (6100’)
Route day 2: Secret trail cutoff (6100’), unnamed cinder cone (6000’), Cabot Lake Trail (5600’) south, Forked Butte (6400’), Cabot Lake Trail north, Table Lake (5480’), the Table (south higher section/6100’), the Table (north lower section/6000’), secret cutoff to Shale Lake/PCT (5850’), PCT/Hunts Creek Trail jct, back to Bingham Ridge TH

Stats:
• Mileage: 33 miles
• Elevation Gain: 6600’
• Number of other hikers: 3
• Drive time from SE PDX: 2 hours 10 minutes
• Mosquito bites: 3

Opening picture:

Google Earth video tour:

Trip map overview:

Elevation profile:

TFFs at the TH:

Rerouted section of the Bingham Ridge Trail:

Map of the rerouted section of the Bingham Ridge Trail:

A few of the 100+ downed trees on the trail:

Several miles of trail go through the 2006 Puzzle Fire burn:

Mt. Jefferson and Bingham Basin:

Small lake in the cone of the unnamed cinder cone:

Jim coming back down the cinder cone:

Trail at the base of the cinder cone:

Curvy stitch pic of the cinder cone:

Jim using his Sawyer squeeze for the first time:

This spring comes right out of the ground at the base of the Table:

You better believe the Jefferson Lake Trail is not maintained. However, I can personally attest that it is not impassible:

Unnamed pass between North Cinder Peak and Forked Butte:

Beginning the route finding over to Forked Butte (North Cinder Peak in the background):

Once at the top of Forked Butte I was able to locate a better route through the lava field back to the trail:

The higher of the two points on Forked Butte:

Cathedral Rocks, the Table and the unnamed cinder cone from Forked Butte:

Coming back down from Forked Butte this ravine…

leads to this ravine…

and we’re almost back on the trail:

The beginning of the “trail” that leads up to the Table:

Table Lake and Forked Butte from the “trail” on the way to the Table:

Pano stitch pic of the higher south section of the Table:

Pano video of the higher south section of the Table:

This is the best view of Cathedral Canyon you will get:

Stitch pic of the lower north section of the Table from the higher section:

The route from the lower section of the Table to the higher section (look closely and you will see Jim):

Final notes:
• The beginning of the Bingham Ridge Trail has been rerouted. A 0.6 mile section is now 1.53 miles.
• The Bingham Fire of 2014 did not appear to have affected the trail at all.
• Many miles of the route were on difficult terrain. Rocky, rooty, scrambly, steep, lots of downed trees, etc.
• Awesome job Jim!! He kept up with me the whole time, and I had a fast pace. Having done over 23 difficult miles on day two I am officially inducting Jim into the Loony Hiker Club.
• Thanks again to Matt for the tip on the secret cutoff route from the PCT to the Cabot Lake Trail.

Link to all the pics on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54959080@ ... 4480272460

Good hiking,
Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Petr

Re: The Table/Forked Butte: 6/19/15-6/20/15

Post by Petr » June 21st, 2015, 10:23 pm

Great job guys. Very nice trip report! :D
Well Jim, where to next?

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » June 22nd, 2015, 8:46 am

Awesome TR and adventure B2! Wasn't Jim already pretty loony before this one though? :D :)

Jim57

Post by Jim57 » June 22nd, 2015, 10:55 am

I renewed my Looney status for 2015. I was looney a couple of years ago when Born2bbrad got me around Mt Hood in two days. http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... =8&t=17025 What I don't understand is I have no blisters or knee pain. Yippee!

miah66

Post by miah66 » June 23rd, 2015, 6:59 am

Cool report on this often overlooked area. It's cool too that you had the cajones to attempt the Jefferson Lake trail. There are so many warnings and notices that it is definitely not maintained...it's almost like they don't WANT it to be hiked. I often wonder if the areas around the Dollar Lake and Pollallie fires on Mt Hood will become like this? Who knows after this fire season if there will be any green woods left in the area? :cry: I also noticed a mosquito net on Jim! Were they bad?
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » June 23rd, 2015, 11:16 am

An epic adventure!!

I always thought Forked Butte would be one heck of a ski descent!! But never thought of hiking to it.

Thanks for sharing the adventure.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » June 24th, 2015, 7:21 pm

Petr wrote:Great job guys. Very nice trip report! :D
Thanks Petr. BTW, your name came up several times - in a good way. Maybe you'll join Jim and I on our next loony death march.
Sean Thomas wrote:Awesome TR and adventure B2! Wasn't Jim already pretty loony before this one though? :D :)
Thanks Sean. I guess Jim did get his Loony badge a couple of years ago on our Timberline Trail trip. Man, that was a tough two-day trip.
Jim57 wrote:I renewed my Looney status for 2015. I was looney a couple of years ago when Born2bbrad got me around Mt Hood in two days. http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... =8&t=17025 What I don't understand is I have no blisters or knee pain. Yippee!
So you're saying this wasn't tough enough? Maybe Sean can join us next time and set the pace :twisted: On second thought, maybe not. I still want to use my feet and knees for a few years.
miah66 wrote:Cool report on this often overlooked area. It's cool too that you had the cajones to attempt the Jefferson Lake trail. There are so many warnings and notices that it is definitely not maintained...it's almost like they don't WANT it to be hiked. I often wonder if the areas around the Dollar Lake and Pollallie fires on Mt Hood will become like this? Who knows after this fire season if there will be any green woods left in the area? :cry: I also noticed a mosquito net on Jim! Were they bad?
Yes it is overlooked, and I don't know why. Probably the distance it takes to get to the core area.

I didn't know about the condition of the Jefferson Lake Trail and Sugar Pine Ridge Trail when I did my bushes from hell trip. I think that trip report really publicized the condition to more people than any other source.

The mosquitoes were not nearly as bad as I thought they were going to be. I had read recent reports about how bad they were in Jefferson Park, but maybe we were too fast for them :D
BurnsideBob wrote:An epic adventure!!

I always thought Forked Butte would be one heck of a ski descent!! But never thought of hiking to it.

Thanks for sharing the adventure.
Thanks Bob! I never would have thought about skiing down Forked Butte. It would be such a long slog getting there in the snow.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports