Vista Ridge, Dollar Lake & Barrett Spur - 2015/06/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Vista Ridge, Dollar Lake & Barrett Spur - 2015/06/14

Post by Guy » June 15th, 2015, 5:45 am

Opening pic

Fantastic day on the mountain Sunday! We set off from Sandy at 8:00 for Vista Ridge, like several other folks we were hoping to see the fantastic displays of Avalanche Lilies reported on last weekend. Driving to Vista ridge always tests my driving tolerance levels which seem to be getting lower with each passing year! It's 50 miles from Sandy but takes about 85 minutes with 2 sections of gravel road totaling about 9 miles.

As we set off up the trail the Bear Grass was putting on a good show.

Two miles up the trail we recognized the photos that were posted of the Avalanche Lilies the week before and they were all past peak bloom & rapidly drying up. We were just about to give up when we were reward at about the 5500' level where the final slopes before reaching the Timberline trail were still in full bloom.

As others have said it was a breathtaking display!

Once we hit the Timberline Trail we decided to head on over to Dollar Lake.

All these years hiking on Hood but it wasn't until yesterday that I noticed that Dollar Lake is in the wrong place of USGS maps.

From here we headed on up the ridge to the base of Barrett Spur, the wind was blowing but it wasn't cold.

The flowers at the base of Barrett Spur were better than I've ever seen them before.

We were sheltered from the wind & soaked up the sun and the views over a lazy lunch!

I was hoping the precarious giant chunk of the Ladd Glacier was going to let loose while we were there but it decided to hold on for a little while longer at least!

Rather than head back down the ridge that would take up back to Dollar Lake we headed down the one that would take us back to the Wyeast Basin.

Back at the Wyeast Basin we stopped for some cold fresh Water!

We then set off back down the Vista Ridge trail took another billion photos of the Avalanche Lilies then headed for home!

The hike came in at 9.3 miles and 3050' of EG.

More photos than you can shake a stick at here & a Map below.

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

jaimito

Re: Vista Ridge, Dollar Lake & Barrett Spur - 2015/06/14

Post by jaimito » June 15th, 2015, 11:38 am

Those Avalanche Lillies look epic, I don't think I've ever seen so many in a spread like that. Great photos as always.

Jamie

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » June 15th, 2015, 2:56 pm

Great Pictures and lower Barrett spur is snow free? :o Myself and some friends did Vista ridge and the loop over to Cairn Basin yesterday. We got up there a bit later. Don't think we ran into you though. I tend to keep an eye out for OregonHiker types. We did see quite a few people though.Talked to someone on the trail who goes up there a lot. He said it's usually pretty quiet but the massive flower bloom is pulling the crowds in. Looks like you guys had a great hike. Now I want to go to Barrett Spur! And Mt Hood Meadows and......
Woodswalker

aircooled

Post by aircooled » June 15th, 2015, 8:03 pm

We just missed you! Cindy and I hiked Cathedral Ridge to Dollar Lake Saturday and camped at Cairn Basin that night. I also noticed that Dollar Lake was not where my Garmin (USGS) maps said it was. And for those who have trouble finding the trail, it's at: N45° 24.831' W121° 42.261'

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » June 15th, 2015, 9:08 pm

Guy wrote:I was hoping the precarious giant chunk of the Ladd Glacier was going to let loose while we were there but it decided to hold on for a little while longer at least!

We camped between Cairn Basin and the trail to McNeil and were looking right up at this chunk and wondering which glacier we were looking at! It looked so cool in the sunset light. Made me wish I had a zoom lens or a scope or something - thanks for the closeup!
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » June 16th, 2015, 8:27 am

Ah, maybe we can blame the wrong location on Dollar Lake eluding us every time we are in the area???
Ann
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » June 16th, 2015, 2:21 pm

Wow, what a beautiful carpet of flowers!

Guy

Post by Guy » June 16th, 2015, 4:31 pm

Thanks everyone!

The Avalanche Lilies on the Vista Ridge trail will be done by this weekend but the incredible alpine display on Barrett Spur will still be there.

Yes Dollar Lake can be remarkably elusive :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors