School Canyon Ball point meander

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
woodswalker

School Canyon Ball point meander

Post by woodswalker » May 6th, 2015, 8:13 am

Since I was working the fire tower when the Ball Point Fire started, I've always wanted to go check it out. Monday was sunny and one of my fellow tower workers was able to go as well, so off we went.

Our destination Ball Point, with the Flag Point Ridge just to the left.

I wasn't the first to spot the actual fire. At the time I was standing on my fire stool with it's little glass feet, counting ground strikes around me and trying to get a quick location on a fire to the south. Now eight years later, the remnants and new growth are amazing. I spent way too much time shooting pictures, but such a great day!
The views open up right away. Jefferson to the South.

Even the unburned portions near the start have great tree sculptures.

Balsam root, and Lupine are looking good, with lots of yellow umbels.
Happy butterfly!
flowers and views!
Paintbrush

Entering the burn area
The webs really stood out against the burned bark.
Just sloughing off the old life.
Ball Point getting closer
Northish view to Hootenany Point.

East view towards Tygh ridge and Tygh Valley

West up to the headwaters of Tygh Creek.

Tree Art!

Tree Dragon

Moving into the green woods near Felt Tip and our turnaround point.

Heading back slowly.

Goodbye to the Badger for now.

Fantastic day as always in that area.
Woodswalker

bushwhacker

Re: School Canyon Ball point meander

Post by bushwhacker » May 6th, 2015, 4:27 pm

That is a nice area. Sort of like central Oregon with all the Ponderosa Pines. Another one to check out is just up that road about 1.5 miles. The Tygh Creek trail is steeper but once you get to the top where is levels out it's great. FYI, the trail sign has been destroyed but the trail was in good condition at least for the first 3 miles or so. You just need to pull over just after the Tygh Creek sign.

I did the School Canyon / Tygh Creek loop a week or so ago (knowing what I was in for) and it didn't disappoint. Even the School Canyon trail had a bunch of trees across the trail once you started around Ball Point. And from then on it was endless trees to go over, under, and around. It looks like the FS did clear out some of the trees in spots in the last year or so but there were dozens that fell over the winter. One of those hikes that I classify as 'character building'.
Attachments
DSC03173b.jpg
DSC03179b.jpg

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 6th, 2015, 5:47 pm

One of my favorite trails. The fire also started up a feast of black morels. Everything looks beautiful out there.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » May 6th, 2015, 7:25 pm

This is also one of my favorite trails! I think the Badger Creek Area is a place that isn't known to a large number of people due to its distance from Portland. Those who know it tend to love it though! This is a nice report with good photos. Bravo!

I second the Tygh Creek Trail - another one of my favorites, which is why I put it in my book. Actually, I second every trail from this area, as they're all nice (Little Badger Creek is excellent as well).

I was on Lookout Mountain when the fire started back in 2007 so I remember it pretty well. I'm glad it didn't incinerate this area before I had a chance to discover it. It's a good thing they got to it early!
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

romann

Post by romann » May 6th, 2015, 9:23 pm

That part of Badger Creek Wilderness is one of my "homes away from home", it's always seems so sunny, warm, full of views and interesting rocks - and so quiet. And rough trails with plenty of obstacles - real wilderness like it should be. Great pictures!
bushwhacker wrote:Even the School Canyon trail had a bunch of trees across the trail once you started around Ball Point. And from then on it was endless trees to go over, under, and around. It looks like the FS did clear out some of the trees in spots in the last year or so but there were dozens that fell over the winter.
Thanks for the trail update. These parts usually get plenty of blowdown in winter, but sooner or later encroaching brush near Ball Point will be #1 priority to keep the trail open. I don't think the trail work you saw there was Forest Service though ;)

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » May 7th, 2015, 6:01 am

Thanks Bobcat and Bushwacker! I really love the Badger. It's a long drive, but it has always felt like home even before I worked at the Fire Tower. Also thanks for the plug for Tygh Creek. It's good to have current info on it. I've only been a short distance on it, just near the top. But that mile long stretch was one of my favorite post work hangouts. West Point being my favorite pre work hangout :D.

Romann: I think your right. Equestrian groups do a lot of good work up there to keep trails open.

Matt: Thanks, Wow being on Lookout MT must have been pretty exciting during that storm. I loved watching the fire progress. I was glad to see the Badger trails in your book when I got it. Some of those trails could use a few more hikers .

I want to hike that area as much as I can this year. A lot of the open space in the woods has become piles of dead trees 3-4 deep. At some point fire will come through there and clean it all out. The eco system there is changing as things do.
Woodswalker

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » May 7th, 2015, 8:31 am

Absolutely outstanding TR! Well documented and great pictures.

Two thumbs up.

Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » May 7th, 2015, 9:33 am

Born2BBrad wrote:Absolutely outstanding TR! Well documented and great pictures.

Two thumbs up.

Brad
Thank you! it 's hard to go wrong in that area.
Woodswalker

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » May 9th, 2015, 6:39 am

I have to say I'm a bit jealous you got to spend time in LOs. Maybe I'm romanticizing it a bit but being along on a mountaintop deep in the woods (at least for awhile) seems wonderful.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » May 10th, 2015, 7:16 am

VanMarmot wrote:I have to say I'm a bit jealous you got to spend time in LOs. Maybe I'm romanticizing it a bit but being along on a mountaintop deep in the woods (at least for awhile) seems wonderful.
You are not romanticizing. It is every bit as wonderful as you imagine. Except you are often a bit busier than you would think. Which is fine.

Woodswalker