Two short Gorge trails: EasyCLIMB Loop and Mosier Plateau

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Two short Gorge trails: EasyCLIMB Loop and Mosier Plateau

Post by bobcat » April 29th, 2015, 3:37 pm

My wife and I made a lazy excursion into the Gorge on a balmy day: lunch in Hood River bracketed by two short hikes on relatively new trails. What both trails have in common is that they are touted as examples of the new recreation-oriented economy that small Gorge communities are attempting to develop.

The EasyCLIMB loop, about 2 ½ miles, is squeezed into a wooded verge between Herman Creek Cove and Government Cove at the east end of Cascade Locks. For the last few years, this had been primarily an illegal dumping site and before that it was the site of a sawmill. The trails are built for mountain bikes (CLIMB = Cascade Locks International Mountain Bike) and wind tortuously through mixed forest along the shores of Government Cove to some lovely oak meadows blooming with camas, chocolate lilies, and buttercups on cliffs above the river. Cute mountain biker labels, such as Ivy league, Itchy Vista, and Enchanted Forest, designate each section of the trail. There are great views across to the Bonneville Landslide and also back to the face of the Benson Plateau. The two coves sport rotting pilings that were once used for anchoring log rafts. One such raft remains in Government Cove, a relic of the timber cutting economy that once dominated the area.
Beach on Government Cove, EasyCLIMB.jpg
Leafy pea (Lathyrus polyphyllus), EasyCLIMB.jpg
Black hawthorn (Crataegus douglasii), EasyCLIMB.jpg
Oak, lupine, camas, EasyCLIMB.jpg
Common camas (Camassia quamash), EasyCLIMB.jpg
Osprey on nest, EasyCLIMB.jpg
Chocolate lily (Fritillaria affinis), EasyCLIMB.jpg
Common bastard toad-flax (Commandra umbellata), EasyCLIMB.jpg
Greenleaf Peak from EasyCLIMB.jpg
EasyCLIMB is for beginner mountain bikers, but hikers are also welcome: probably it would mainly be a draw for families with small children. There were a few bikers on the trail on a dry weekend; there were more users of the disc golf course that overlaps the trails near Government Cove. Other hikers may be interested to know, however, that EasyCLIMB is but a precursor to a planned 25-mile network of biking trails between Cascade Locks and Wyeth. Most of this network will use existing paths, like the Herman Creek and Gorge Trails, but there will be connector trails to the river from the Herman Creek area.
Orange honeysuckle (Lonicera ciliosa), EasyCLIMB.jpg
Herman Creek Cove, EasyCLIMB.jpg
Trail map, EasyCLIMB.jpg
The other trail (3 ½ miles) sent us up Mosier Plateau on Friends of the Columbia Gorge land. In the short time since its official opening to the public in Fall 2013, this trail has become very popular, and the trail tread through the meadows has become hard packed. The path leads beyond the pioneer cemetery and Mosier Falls to the top of the syncline at Mosier’s east end.
Trail map, Mosier Plateau.jpg
Pioneer cemetery, Mosier Plateau.jpg
Weakstem cryptantha (Cryptantha flaccida), Mosier Plateau.jpg
Slender godetia (Clarkia gracilis), Mosier Plateau.jpg
Mosier Creek Falls, Mosier Plateau.jpg
Bachelor's button (Centaurea cyanus), Mosier Plateau.jpg
Ballhead cluster lily (Dichelostemma congestum), Mosier Plateau.jpg
There’s a release form to sign just beyond the falls. We took three sets of steps and several switchbacks to reach the top, and then the trail extends from a viewpoint over Mosier down a sloping bench through fields of balsamroot and lupine. You’ll pass the foundation pads of two manufactured houses that Nancy Russell, who purchased the land for Friends, had removed and sent to The Dalles.
Annual cow vetch (Vicia villosa), Mosier Plateau.jpg
View to Eighteenmile Island, Mosier Plateau.jpg
Nootka rose (Rosa nutkana), Mosier Plateau.jpg
Bee on silverleaf phacelia (Phacelia hastata), Mosier Plateau.jpg
Under the ponderosas, Mosier Plateau.jpg
Silvery blue (Glaucopsyche lygdamus) on common bastard toad flax, Mosier Plateau.jpg
Bicolored cluster lily (Triteleia grandiflora), Mosier Plateau.jpg
Broad-leaf lupine (Lupinus latifolius), Mosier Plateau.jpg
We took in the wide open vistas across to Coyote Wall and the Labyrinth and also walked the steep little road to the top of Mosier Hill, which has a fire station microwave tower and cell tower. Here, there were vistas east to the Memaloose Hills and south to Mosier’s cherry orchard country.
View to Coyote Wall, Mosier Plateau.jpg
McClure Hill, Chatfield Hill, Tom McCall Point from Mosier Hill.jpg
Bicolored lupine (Lupinus bicolor), Mosier Hill.jpg
View of the foothills from Mosier Hill.jpg
The new trailhead parking is in town where a gravel road leads down to the railroad tracks just east of the totem pole (You’re no longer supposed to park at the east end of the bridge). And yes, Trailkeepers gets credit for helping to build this trail!
Descending, Mosier Plateau.jpg
Immature male cones, Ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa), Mosier Plateau.jpg

woodswalker

Re: Two short Gorge trails: EasyCLIMB Loop and Mosier Platea

Post by woodswalker » April 30th, 2015, 6:12 am

I always love the flower shots and ID. :D I've been out on the little peninsula to the east before where there is a quarry. I'll have to check out the new loop.
Woodswalker

miah66

Post by miah66 » April 30th, 2015, 1:56 pm

I really like that Mosier Plateau hike in the spring. Great views and flowers! I usually make it a loop by following the road back, though it's kind of a downer to end a hike w/ a road walk! :) I didn't even know about the EasyCLIMB loop, so I'll have to check that out. Your flower & insect id's are the stuff of legend on OH! Love it!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

bobcat

Post by bobcat » April 30th, 2015, 7:11 pm

I'll add a bit of insect trivia: the Silvery blue butterfly pictured is the closest living relative of the Xerces blue (Glaucopsyche xerces), a native of the Pacific coast sand dunes of San Francisco. The Xerces blue became extinct in the 1940s because of rampant urban development in the area, but it has been immortalized by the Xerces Society, an invertebrate conservation group. The silvery blue, on the other hand, has a wide distribution and is not so picky about its habitat or food plants.