Catherine Creek - Tracy Hill - Coyote Wall Loop, Apr. 4

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
RobinB

Catherine Creek - Tracy Hill - Coyote Wall Loop, Apr. 4

Post by RobinB » April 5th, 2015, 11:07 am

Took a nice loop hike with my dad yesterday from the Catherine Creek Trailhead up Tracy Hill, off trail and on an old road across an upper portion of Catherine Creek, on the Atwood Road over to Coyote Wall, and back lower down, on a sort of improvised series of roads, trails, and non-trails.

The flowers started immediately, as we headed up the eastern most trail out of Catherine Creek below the old arch. Big-Headed Clover (thanks to Keri-Tracy Sprenger on the Oregon Wildflowers Facebook group!):

Not sure about this one, though:

Old homestead (ranch?) remains:

Some, uh, purple stuff. Lupine?

Up on Tracy Hill there were these gorgeous flowers that almost looked like mini-beargrasses.

And these weird-looking guys, a little further up (mostly in the shade). Man, I really need to spend more time with a wildflower book :)

Ballhead Waterleaf (thanks again, Keri-Tracy!)

And then these tangled messes of vines and white flowers. Gorgeous!

From the trail's high point on Tracy Hill, we followed a path west down toward the Catherine Creek drainage, then took a hard right, and contoured north on some braiding deer trails into the upper canyon. Note that the side-hilling here is pretty steep, and requires a little scrambling.

After following game trails maybe a half mile up the canyon, we found a good way down to the creek, crossed, and bushwhacked maybe fifty feet up the western side to an old, slightly overgrown road grade running parallel to the creek.

Lupine and trillium en route:

Along the old road, there were several spots of burned wood that didn't exactly look like camp fires. Was this once used as a fire line or something?

Anyway, here's the view of some balsamroot across the canyon, on the side of Tracy Hill:

Where our track hit the more-traveled Atwood Road, there was a bunch of old homey ruins. I guess there was once a homestead here, too?

Shall I cook us some lunch?

There were also a bunch of these gorgeous circular growths around the trees.

And log decorations:

Once we hit the old Atwood Road, it was pretty much smooth sailing to Coyote Wall. I was surprised at how few people we saw - maybe a dozen total, even though the Coyote Wall parking lot was overflowing when we drove by a few hours earlier. More flowers that I can't name:

Currant:

TFF:

The best balsamroot displays we saw all day were along the upper stretches of Coyote Wall. I couldn't quite do it justice.

We stopped most of the way up the wall for a late lunch and some views. As before, there were very few people around. Nice to have a place like this to ourselves.

On the way back, we went down to the lower trail system, and picked our way east. Here's that awesome mesa (I think that's the right word?) near the Labyrinth.

Another:

Some of my favorite views of the day were from the trail that runs just above Rowland Lake.

More lupine!

Just before our trail ran into the road, a quarter mile west of the main parking lot, there was another old homestead or something with a bunch of old rusted stuff. Fun to look around:

We'd been vaguely thinking of hitting Dalles Mountain Ranch, but the day got away from us, so we'll have to safe that for another time. After a carside tick check (none!), we crossed back into Hood River and had a nice dinner and a few beers at Double Mountain.

drm

Re: Catherine Creek - Tracy Hill - Coyote Wall Loop, Apr. 4

Post by drm » April 5th, 2015, 12:26 pm

Along the old road, there were several spots of burned wood that didn't exactly look like camp fires. Was this once used as a fire line or something?
These were a form of controlled burns. They sent people up there to cut and collect some trees and brush into slash piles to lessen to fuel supply. When they determined the weather was safe, they burned the slash piles, typically in the fall when wetness is predicted to be coming shortly to put them out.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » April 5th, 2015, 8:04 pm

Nice job avoiding the nest of 'angry ticks' that Van Marmot found, and I later re-found, near the Catherine Creek upper crossing. Those guys are brutal.

Always fun to combine Tracy Hill into a Catherine Creek / Coyote Wall adventure.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » April 5th, 2015, 9:17 pm

-Q- wrote:Nice job avoiding the nest of 'angry ticks' that Van Marmot found, and I later re-found, near the Catherine Creek upper crossing. Those guys are brutal.
Well, I didn't see any while out there, but I did find one on my shoulder this morning, which my poor wife had to pick out. I'd never had one before - gross!

bobcat

Post by bobcat » April 6th, 2015, 5:55 am

Stunning pictures. I see you found the Old Stove Road: that was a dense thicket of young trees before they thinned it out and burned.

I'll do your flower IDs quickly (just common names since I can't remember all the generic ones):

big-head clover
bi-colored cluster lily
common camas
meadow death-camas
great hound's tongue
ball-head waterleaf
big root (wild cucumber)
broad-leaf lupine
western trillium
chickweed monkey flower
small-flowered prairie star
red flowering currant
northwestern balsam root

RobinB

Post by RobinB » April 6th, 2015, 12:48 pm

bobcat wrote:I'll do your flower IDs quickly (just common names since I can't remember all the generic ones):

big-head clover
bi-colored cluster lily
common camas
meadow death-camas
great hound's tongue
ball-head waterleaf
big root (wild cucumber)
broad-leaf lupine
western trillium
chickweed monkey flower
small-flowered prairie star
red flowering currant
northwestern balsam root
Wow! Thanks! Now I see what Bosterson was talking about with the PocketBobcat™ app :)

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » April 6th, 2015, 1:00 pm

Great pictures! Glad bobcat did the IDs for you. I learned a couple I didn't know from that list, too :).
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Jane

Post by Jane » April 6th, 2015, 5:41 pm

Make sure you keep an eye on that tick bite, would suggest seeing a medical professional soon for care.

walrus

Post by walrus » April 6th, 2015, 6:11 pm

Delightful! I wanted to do something quite similar with my dad this weekend, but he had shenanigans in Mt. Angel so we did Silver Falls instead. Still beautiful, but not as time-sensitive...

RobinB

Post by RobinB » April 6th, 2015, 11:19 pm

sprengers4jc wrote:Great pictures! Glad bobcat did the IDs for you. I learned a couple I didn't know from that list, too :).
Thanks! And thanks too for your (I think?) flower IDs on Facebook!
Jane wrote:Make sure you keep an eye on that tick bite, would suggest seeing a medical professional soon for care.
Definitely. We got it out in one pull, and it hadn't been on there long - it wasn't at all swollen, so I guess no meal - but I'm watching for any weird marks, fever, soreness, etc.
walrus wrote:I wanted to do something quite similar with my dad this weekend, but he had shenanigans in Mt. Angel so we did Silver Falls instead.
Well, there's always Dog Mountain in a few weeks if you miss this one :)