Dickey Creek Hike... and SNOW!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Brando

Dickey Creek Hike... and SNOW!

Post by Brando » March 25th, 2015, 6:04 pm

A friend and I were planning to do the Bull of the Woods Lookout Loop hike on tuesday, but upon reaching 3800 of elevation on the drive up we hit snow, so we backtracked to the Dickey Creek Trailhead. We made it within a mile of Big Slide Lake, but stopped because of time and weather. We were still able to scramble up a rock field off to the side of the trail to get some great views. The weather was incredible all day as at one point we would in blizzard like conditions, and then the next bombared with sun. Anyway, here is a video I made of the day. Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WHEN0gxoSs

Make sure to watch it in 1080HD!

greenjello85

Re: Dickey Creek Hike... and SNOW!

Post by greenjello85 » March 25th, 2015, 9:23 pm

Nice hike in tough weather:) Dickey creek is an interesting trail. That hill climbing back to the TH kills me everytime. I'm glad to see there is finally some snow out there! Thanks for the update.
Dan
Last edited by greenjello85 on March 26th, 2015, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » March 26th, 2015, 4:07 am

It is obvious I haven't been there in a while - you had some interesting shots and I loved the video! Sounds like it was an interesting day - I love that trail but hate that section climbing back out. I don't know how they can call that section a "trail".
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » March 26th, 2015, 5:40 am

I was up there on Sunday and there was no snow in sight. I'm glad to see a little fell during this storm.

As for the climb back to the TH, it didn't seem as bad as I thought it would. They seem to have installed some logs, making some sections more like staircases. Was it always this way? I kind of liked it.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » March 26th, 2015, 3:08 pm

mattisnotfrench wrote:I was up there on Sunday and there was no snow in sight. I'm glad to see a little fell during this storm.

As for the climb back to the TH, it didn't seem as bad as I thought it would. They seem to have installed some logs, making some sections more like staircases. Was it always this way? I kind of liked it.
The last time I hiked it, that section was pretty much just straight uphill - no logs, no steps, no switchbacks, just straight up. If they've put in some help, that is great. It sorely needed something. It is VERY steep in places. I remember trying to get up that hill with a full pack on, and it was very difficult.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » March 26th, 2015, 3:42 pm

mattisnotfrench wrote:As for the climb back to the TH, it didn't seem as bad as I thought it would. They seem to have installed some logs, making some sections more like staircases. Was it always this way? I kind of liked it.
When I was there, there were a few stairs but mostly just straight uphill. The steps that were there were like 2 feet high and even at 6' 2" they were a bit of a challenge :lol: I had trouble maintaining traction on a few sections during dry conditions. My boot soles are pretty much worn out though :roll: One particularly bad section had a rope assist so that was nice.

Brando

Post by Brando » March 28th, 2015, 9:05 am

There were stairs in a couple of places, and they went ten or fifty in succession to create a sort of staircase feel. The stairs looked fairly recent, and I didn't see a rope on any of the ascents. There still is a couple of spots that are very steep however, especially one section in particular where it is more of a scramble than a hike. Also, the trail has a lot of downed trees, more after the Dickey crossing, but still some before. And on a last note, the road is nice expect there are bushes that hang into the road that could scratch a car pretty easily, thus I opted to park way back. Anyway. hope this helps.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » March 30th, 2015, 6:36 pm

Thanks much for the report. You certainly raised the bar for showing off your hike. I loved the video so much I hiked to the lookout from the Dickey Creek trail Sunday March 29. I sang Spirit in the Sky while I walked. I didn't see a soul all day. This endless summer of hiking is fun!

The only snow was a few inches of crusty snow on the trail from the end of the Dickey Creek trail to the top of ridge leading to the lookout.

That poor lookout doesn't look long for this world. Inside was good number of tools, nails, etc but very little new wood for repairs. It must be impossible/costly to get materials to that remote location. It needs a whole new skin.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » March 30th, 2015, 6:45 pm

Great video, made me wanna head out and deal with that first steep section
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Brando

Post by Brando » March 30th, 2015, 7:51 pm

johnspeth wrote:Thanks much for the report. You certainly raised the bar for showing off your hike. I loved the video so much I hiked to the lookout from the Dickey Creek trail Sunday March 29. I sang Spirit in the Sky while I walked. I didn't see a soul all day. This endless summer of hiking is fun!
Thanks John! Its nice to know that people enjoy the videos. That had to be quite a hike all the way to the lookout, I'll guess 16-17 miles? Glad you were able to it made to the lookout however dilapidated it is becoming... and your comment about singing Spirit in the Sky made me laugh forever :D