Devils Peak

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Devils Peak

Post by drm » March 7th, 2015, 7:25 pm

Hiked Devils Peak for the first time, via the Cool Creek Trail. Temps were cool at the start but gorgeous and warm for the hour+ that we spent at the top. The field guide describes it as unrelentingly steep. But it is steep here and there, less steep on occasion, and the last mile or so is pretty low angle. The is steepest at the bottom. The summit is fairly forested with views of Mt Hood here and there - none really from the balcony of the lookout. Still, what other lookout is available for overnighting with no reservations?
Hood from DP.jpg
Hood from Devils Peak
DP Lookout.jpg
Devils Peak Lookout
Last edited by drm on March 8th, 2015, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Thomas

Re: Devils Psak

Post by Sean Thomas » March 7th, 2015, 8:32 pm

Awesome idea for a hike, drm. I don't think I've ever actually seen a picture of that lookout before but i'm known to forget things :lol: So its unlocked and first come first serve?

drm

Re: Devils Peak

Post by drm » March 8th, 2015, 7:50 am

That's what the folks there who has spent the night told us. And they were working on it, were some of the folks who keep the place up, so I assume they would know.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 8th, 2015, 8:49 am

Love that place! (It was my first lookout... Awwww... :lol:) Cool Creek trail is a good workout, too!

Sean, you may prefer a longer loop, like this one that's really nice when the rhodies pop. The lookout is always open.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

mandrake

Post by mandrake » March 9th, 2015, 10:00 am

So its unlocked and first come first serve?
Yep, free and you get everything you pay for. Like Burley, the mattresses up there should be incinerated for the benefit of humanity. :?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 9th, 2015, 12:18 pm

you have to shoo the mice away, but they're everywhere

On a recent trip I saw a mouse. It ran under my sleeping bag. Then it disappeared. I didn't notice it that night.

I've had mice run across me at night.