Government Camp to Timberline & back - 2015/01/03

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Government Camp to Timberline & back - 2015/01/03

Post by Guy » January 4th, 2015, 6:30 pm

Opening pic

For our first hike of 2015 we decided on a snowshoe loop hike up from Government Camp to Timberline Lodge & back. This would involve hiking up the Glade Trail & down the Alpine trail using the Crosstown Trail to connect them both. There was also an ulterior motive for this hike, I'm trying to tick off all the access trails to the Mt Hood Loop Loop trail & I'm getting close so this ticked 2 of the remaining few off the list!

We parked at the Summit Snow Park and set off on the Crosstown Trail for the Glade Trail junction.

We carried our snow shoes for the first couple of miles but after that it was easier to wear them than carry them!

We climbed the quiet trail most of the way, leap frogging with another couple but apart from that the trail was quiet.

After about 3 miles we hit the lower ski runs of Timberline & decided to hike up the edge of the Ski Resort Boundary rather than stick to the trail.

We had hiked up in the clouds but started to get tantalizing views for the Mountain..

We finally broke through the cloud layer at about 6000' and kept climbing leaving the ski runs & all the folks behind.

We considered tagging the Silcox hut before turning around but above 6200' it got a bit windy & cold so we called it a day next to a big rock at about 6400' & headed down to Timberline Lodge.

The Timberline lodge area was a zoo of people, car park seemed to be full to the max. We took advantage of the warm day lodge to eat our lunch & then headed off to find the top end of the Alpine Trail. This required us to cross several ski runs which I was a bit uneasy about but all those skiers & snow boarders managed to avoid us & we safely arrived at the Alpine Trail.

Despite the dire warning on the sign as we left the ski resort & returned to the woods we felt safer to be back in our own environment :)

A couple more miles of hiking found us at the top of much quieter Summit Ski Resort & hiked the final half mile back to the snow park.

All told about 8.5 miles, about 2650' of EG and we got to see the Sun on a cloudy day :)

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

forestkeeper

Re: Government Camp to Timberline & back - 2015/01/03

Post by forestkeeper » January 4th, 2015, 9:02 pm

:D Very nice! Looks like it was a beautiful day up there. Great pictures!

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » January 4th, 2015, 9:07 pm

Wow, how cool to pop out of the clouds like that! Sounds like a great way to start the year :)

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » January 5th, 2015, 8:24 am

I love the dire warnings suggesting death, dismemberment, imminent destruction, etc. once leaving Timberline's property. Good stuff. Nice TR and great pictures!

We were snowshoeing at Timberline the day before and the weather was gorgeous then as well.
10917803_802673496471478_1543781450888240554_o.jpg
Snowshoeing at Timberline on Friday
In direct contrast to our Saturday hike on Hamilton.
1490823_803636986375129_5667536491787523009_o.jpg
Hamilton Saddle fog on Saturday
Looks like you had the better idea for Saturday! :lol:
Last edited by sprengers4jc on January 5th, 2015, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

windmtnpete

Post by windmtnpete » January 5th, 2015, 10:15 am

Good report. Nice to see the decent snow coverage down at Gov'y. My beloved winter stomping ground... I'm a frequent flier backcountry skier on the Alpine Trail.
Guy wrote:

Despite the dire warning on the sign as we left the ski resort & returned to the woods we felt safer to be back in our own environment :)
On light powder days this sign is a joke, it's much more risky being in the ski resorts. HOWEVER, 1 in 10 days this sign could mean the difference between life and death in icy conditions or heavy powder days which are wicked and brutal. I've seen stranded skiers / snowboarders on this trail who are lost & cold looking for the ski lift back to the lodge. Even with this sign up.... people will access this trail without any thought as to where they are going. (duh?).

Looking forward to doing some time here... hope to get more powder and less crowds this week?
“Not all who wander are lost.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Thomas M

Post by Thomas M » January 5th, 2015, 10:31 am

Nice report, Guy!!!

I'm heading up there tomorrow, Tuesday, and will decide on a hike from Summit to Timberline or up the chair lift from Timberline to the top of the Palmer.

What was the snow like??? Could you have gotten by without the shoeshoes??
It appears to be pretty well compacted??????

Your thoughts???

Thanks, Thomas

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » January 5th, 2015, 11:13 am

It was nice running into you as you were coming down. I was the one on skis that stopped and said I know you - "You're a Portland Hiker." I knew going to the Meet 'n Deet was going to pay off... :D Other than the wind, it sure was a nice day to be out.

The lot was full because of the Christine Cato Memorial Ski Race. There were over 400 high school ski racers competing in the 25th running (and last) of the race. Here's a little more info for those that are interested. My son was racing and I was there doing what I do on weekends in the winter - taking ski race photos.
Thanks,
Mike J

Guy

Post by Guy » January 5th, 2015, 5:37 pm

Thanks Everyone!

@ Thomas: on the Crosstown & lower half of the Glade Trail we didn't need snow shoes but higher up we started post holing a bit & so put them on. Above 6000' the snow was hard & icy so we needed them for traction.

@ Mike: good to meet you up there Mike - didn't realize at the time but we sat at the same table at the Meet N Deet!

@ windmtpete, yeah we found a couple of snow boarders about a mile down the trail who asked us where it went & where was the ski lift :)
Last edited by Guy on January 5th, 2015, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 5th, 2015, 6:46 pm

Guy and Chiyoko,

Nice photos! Thanks for a great TR.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

miah66

Post by miah66 » January 6th, 2015, 3:37 pm

Thanks for the TR. I enjoyed poking around up there behind Gov't Camp after the last dump between Christmas and New years.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider