Frary Peak - Antelope Island (11/28/2014)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mjuliana

Frary Peak - Antelope Island (11/28/2014)

Post by mjuliana » December 5th, 2014, 8:55 am

Last week, like many of you, we hit the road to visit family in Utah. After spending Thanksgiving Day lounging about and gorging, we decided to go for a hike on Friday. Unsure of what the snow levels would be in the either of the Cottonwood Canyons, we decided to head to Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake to tackle Frary Peak.

At 6,596 frt, Frary Peak is the highest point on Antelope which is the largest island in the Great Salt Lake. Antelope Island is home to bison, mule deer, bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope all of which we hoped to see. Let's just say we only scored 25% on this test but had a bonus coyote thrown in.
The round-trip hike to the Peak was just under 7 miles with about 2,000' of EG.

From Wikipedia: "At the time of the arrival of early European explorers and pioneers, there were no bison on the island. As they became extinct over much of their range in the late 19th century, a small population was taken to Antelope Island. "Twelve bison, 4 bulls (males), 4 cows (females) and 4 calves were taken by boat to the island on February 15, 1893 by William Glassman and John Dooly." These 12 animals apparently came originally from a small private herd in Texas[4] and became the foundation for what has grown into the Antelope Island bison herd."

The herd now numbers between 550 and 700.

I believe this is Dooley Knob

Looking north into the Great Salt Lake

A few hardy trees around - hiking this in the summer heat would be brutal.

Frary Peak is the high point ahead. The guide book says not to follow the ridge out but to follow a trail that traverses across the right side and then basically heads straight up below Frary Peak. I took the trail while Ben decided to scramble out the ridge.

After traversing below the ridge, the trail basically heads up some stairs and steep slots that get you to right below the peak. The whole time going up I was thinking that I needed to come back down this section.

Old gnarled tree providing a nice photo op...

Looking to the north from the summit.

and to the south...

Clouds were cool all day long. Took way too many photos of them.

Ben enjoying the views from the summit

Snow-capped Wasatch Front in the background

more clouds

and even more clouds...
Thanks,
Mike J

Peder

Re: Frary Peak - Antelope Island (11/28/2014)

Post by Peder » December 5th, 2014, 10:07 am

Fantastic pictures! Thank you.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » December 5th, 2014, 12:14 pm

what a cool and unique spot!
Joy in the universe, and keen curiosity about it all - that has been my religion.
- John Burroughs

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 5th, 2014, 4:04 pm

Thank you for the TR, pics and history. I've noticed that island on flights in to SLC and wondered if there was access and what was out there. Neat that the bison herd has been so successful, too.

don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

ski

Post by ski » December 5th, 2014, 5:24 pm

very cool.
I've flown into SLC a whole mess of times, and always looked down and wondered what it was like on that island.
Had no idea they had buffalos!
Love the tree!

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » December 6th, 2014, 10:28 am

Peder wrote:Fantastic pictures! Thank you.
:D :D
Aardvark wrote:what a cool and unique spot!
The island kind of reminds of the Deschutes area - high desert scrub.
Don Nelsen wrote:Thank you for the TR, pics and history. I've noticed that island on flights in to SLC and wondered if there was access and what was out there. Neat that the bison herd has been so successful, too.

don
There's a 7 mile causeway that goes from Syracuse (south of Ogden) out to the island. The island is a state park and there is a $10 entrance fee. Well worth it though. In the summer there is a beach where people go "swimming" in the Great Salt Lake.
ski wrote:very cool.
I've flown into SLC a whole mess of times, and always looked down and wondered what it was like on that island.
Had no idea they had buffalos!
Love the tree!
The bison were pretty cool. My family saw a bunch in Yellowstone but I missed out on that trip so I was excited to see them.
Thanks,
Mike J

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » December 7th, 2014, 6:24 pm

That picture of the old gnarled tree clinging to the rock with the lake and clouds in the background is really something!

It would have been easy to take too many cloud photos with a sky like that :D :)