Table Mountain 6/29/08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ElphabaNorthWest

Table Mountain 6/29/08

Post by ElphabaNorthWest » July 1st, 2008, 4:33 pm

This was my first hike by myself in Oregon.I started at the Aldrich Butte trail head, which cut the hike down to a more manageable 8.5 miles. I only met three groups on the trail. Probably because most people are smart and don't hike in 90 degree heat. Saw an elk, lots of rabbits and a woodpecker. The view was well worth the grueling hike! Lots of flowers too!

The new trail goes up the rocks. I'm glad I started early or I probably would have roasted on this part!

AlexanderSupertramp

Re: Table Mountain 6/29/08

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » July 1st, 2008, 6:30 pm

Wow, beautiful. Thanks for the post!

Adam

BCJ

Post by BCJ » July 1st, 2008, 10:50 pm

Nice report...beautiful photos. I think I'm heading up there on Friday.

One sidenote...you still haven't done a hike by yourself in Oregon since Table Mountain is in Washington :D

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 2nd, 2008, 5:15 am

Out of curiosity how early did you start? (Great report by the way. Looks like all the last remaining snow is gone)

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » July 2nd, 2008, 6:42 am

Thanks for the report - I was up Table yesterday 7/01 and the haze from the Calif. Wildfires did dampen the long-range view but the short range view of many wildflowers was amazing. Took the route into Carpenter Lake from the Bonneville Hot Springs Resort - nice and lovely quiet forest. There is a new kiosk at the junction of the Heartbreak (East Ridge) trail up Table and the PCT. The re-opened Heartbreak trail is in fine shape including the 500ft going up through the talus field shown in the photos. Once above the talus field, it goes steeply up and intersects with the new crossways trail connecting under the summit from the west ridge to the east ridge. Turn right and you are up on the summit and dumped out at a goregous display of wildflowers. There is no snow on the summit with the small exception of off the north side Table but you have to look hard to see it in the trees. Wander over the summit plateau to the west ridge (through the trees on the west side) and down the West Ridge. There has been some work done on the West Ridge trail closing off some of the smaller feeder trails to try and keep everyone on one trail. Of course it all has loose rock but the work included clearing the entrance back into the woods at the bottom of the west ridge and building a kiosk at the PCT junction with the West Ridge Trail by America Corps under the direction of the Dept. of Natural Resources.
Oh, there were also a lot of small non-biting black flies which were annoying down lower but once a little wind was had above everything was OK and enjoyable.
Hope others have a great time on Table. About 3-5 hrs up from the Bonneville Hot Springs Resort and 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hrs back down to your car. Take water, it is a steep and sweaty hike.

ElphabaNorthWest

Post by ElphabaNorthWest » July 2nd, 2008, 6:48 am

I started around 7:30am and was at the top by 10:30am. The heat was really starting to kick in as I went back down and I was very glad when I reach the shade. One of the groups that started up heartbreak ridge as I was coming down decided to turn back because they were overheating.