Conrad Basin (Goat Rocks) 26-28 September 2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

Re: Conrad Basin (Goat Rocks) 26-28 September 2014

Post by retired jerry » October 3rd, 2014, 12:35 pm

summitpost - of course - I should have looked there

"I wonder if the 1907 trail traverses below these cliffs."

I think so, but 1907 map is so big it's hard to tell. The topo lines on finer scale map are further apart below the cliffs. And they're further apart when you get over opposite Surprise Lake, where the 1907 map trail goes up onto the ridge.

"Someone should take the old trail from Cispus and find out where it goes."

Yeah, for sure. I don't know why I didn't do it when I was there. There's also a primitive trail going the opposite direction which I saw some people walking on.

R11

Post by R11 » October 3rd, 2014, 2:16 pm

Cispus Pass is well below that cliff(y) band shown in the summitpost pic. That old map shows the trail dropping down about 500' from the pass, and traversing around near that elevation until it climbs back up about 500' to where it crosses the nose of the Klickton Divide.
oldmap.jpg
Here's a view looking down the Divide. That old trail looks like it would have crossed over about where I put the arrow:
DSC_0260-DSC_0262SEsmall.jpg
I'm really not sure why anybody would want to visit the east side of the GR anyway though as it's all dry/dirty/rocky and barren. Definitely not recommended.... Folks should really stay on the west side where it's all nice and green/flowery! :mrgreen:

ron

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 3rd, 2014, 3:13 pm

ha, ha, ha,...

I think folks should stay in California, it's all wet here, moldy, dreary,...

R11

Post by R11 » October 4th, 2014, 9:39 am

retired jerry wrote:ha, ha, ha,...

I think folks should stay in California, it's all wet here, moldy, dreary,...
Exactly! The suicide rate here during the grey, cold and wet winters especially is among the highest in the country. Not a good place to live or raise children at all! But... we may need to come up with a new anti immigration tactic though as the increasing temperatures and lack of water elsewhere are now actually making the NW an even more attractive destination. We can't win for losing! :cry:

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index ... ed_stories

ron

TheOtherBob

Post by TheOtherBob » October 4th, 2014, 1:43 pm

teperilloux wrote:
texasbb wrote:Thanks for that map link, romann, that's interesting. Would be a fun exploration some day. On the other hand, it cuts through Yakama land where the public is only invited to stay on the PCT as I understand it. Anyone know what route climbers take to Gilbert when they approach via Snowgrass?
SummitPost has an excellent trip report climbing Gilbert from Cispus. While not a mountaineering route, it certainly can be classified as a medium scramble and not for inexperienced hikers/backpackers for sure.

http://www.summitpost.org/west-route/217889

The excellent shot of the ridgeline in the trip report show the impossible cliffs. I wonder if the 1907 trail traverses below these cliffs.
Someone should take the old trail from Cispus and find out where it goes.

The old map is amazing - hard to believe all the places are already named over a hundred years ago - must have been multi-day horse camps to get near the alpine areas. Whenever I see old maps like that, it reminds me how many thousands of people have been even on the remotest of trails over the last 100+ years.
Oh! I just posted a relevant report this morning in the off-trail forum!
Here you go....
http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... 10&t=20196

texasbb

Post by texasbb » October 4th, 2014, 2:09 pm

Yes, thanks TOBob, I saw that shortly after you posted it but need to go back and read it more thoroughly. Looks like a bit more than I'd want to do with a week's gear on my back, though.