Indian Heaven - Abandoned trails (and fall colors) 9.20-22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
romann

Indian Heaven - Abandoned trails (and fall colors) 9.20-22

Post by romann » October 2nd, 2014, 12:10 am

This is a late report, but I figured I'd post it because fall color show in Indian Heaven is always awesome and there might still be some left (and the lakes and meadows are always there, anyway :) ). The word is, however, that all berries are gone, as of the past weekend. Image

On the last weekend of summer (& Monday off) Sep. 20-22 I decided to make a loop of 3 abandoned trails in NW part of the wilderness. Plus, I'd make some off-trail detours and see more lakes, eat as much huckleberries as I possibly can, and swim in deeper/nicer lakes along the way. This map shows my GPS track in blue starting from Placid Lake trailhead, and I highlighted the trails I followed. Among the abandoned trails, old Chenamus trail is the only one with noticeable amount of blowdowns, old CCT is rutted in places but good overall and goes through some of the biggest meadows in Indian Heaven, and old PCT is so good I can't even tell why they rerouted it (and it has a ton of small lakes and meadows). I visited 35 or 37 lakes and ponds on this trip (try this with peak bagging :P ) but only swam in 3 - the water is definitely getting colder.

I hiked on Saturday on a good trail to Chenamus Lake (a big, happy, noisy group there) and continued on abandoned trail to Rush Creek. Despite blowdowns, this trail is quite visible and gets a good use. Lots of blowdowns but mostly easy step-overs. I found an old hunters' camp with a view of nice pond, and set for the night.

Don't eat this mushroom...

Next day I made my way off-trail to Acker Lake, and saw some more small lakes on the way. The berries were... incredible, for the lack of a better word :) . Acker Lake was very nice, but not nicer than some other nearby lakes, liked them all. Especially this waist-deep, surprisingly cold little lake surrounded with some of the best-tasting berries of the trip

Last, sweetest fruit...

Some more dry lakes

And "wet" lakes (all shallow - some swimmable, others only knee-deep)

And spectacular meadows, connected with each other by elk trails

On to abandoned CCT (Cascade Crest Trail, the predecessor of the PCT)

The forested hill on background is East Crater. The trail was probably never "built" through these meadows and only followed vertical posts. Some of the posts still stand

Nearing Rock Lake and the junction with popular trail #111, CCT becomes very rutted (almost 4 feet deep!), it's clear why it was rerouted. Briefly visited Rock Lake, then Little Rock Lake...

After brief hike on trail #111 I turned left on unsigned but quite obvious old PCT. The trail is blocked by some logs in the beginning, but pushing on it's in fine shape. Tons of small lakes there, could easily add a dozen more but was feeling scenic overload by this point

I flagged my own dog! Well, it's actually my try to make her more visible to hunters, she is all too often mistaken for a bear (one time by her human ;) )

By the evening, the water warmed pretty good

Cloud show Sunday evening. It briefly rained this night and got much cooler on Monday, right in time for the first day of fall

At sunrise, water was perfectly still...

I started very early on Monday, and instead of returning to Chenamus trail the short way, visited some more off-trail lakes and berry meadows. Very easy cross-country walking, although good elk trails completely lack any sense of direction - it would be easy to get lost without GPS. Also, many more ponds than map shows, so going only by the map is not very reliable there

Rush Creek is dry now, but it can get quite powerful sometimes!

Back at Rush Creek "Lake" (odd red-colored water) we rejoined old trail and hiked back to the car

forestkeeper

Re: Indian Heaven - Abandoned trails (and fall colors) 9.20-

Post by forestkeeper » October 2nd, 2014, 10:35 am

Beautiful pictures! Nice TR. Thanks for sharing.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » October 2nd, 2014, 10:48 am

Appreciate the map--there are some trails I didn't know about!

I strongly suspect that the PCT was rerouted to get the traffic out of the fragile meadows and into the forest.

n.bumppo

Post by n.bumppo » October 2nd, 2014, 11:35 am

Are those blue tracks just west of the old CCT really trails? Or are they just off trail explorations?
Dave

romann

Post by romann » October 2nd, 2014, 7:09 pm

Dave - these blue tracks west of CCT are off-trail but in reality there was a ton of elk trails, they seem to almost disappear on the meadows but pick up in the forest.

n.bumppo

Post by n.bumppo » October 2nd, 2014, 8:19 pm

romann wrote:Dave - these blue tracks west of CCT are off-trail but in reality there was a ton of elk trails, they seem to almost disappear on the meadows but pick up in the forest.
I have been on the other trails and was afraid I had missed some I would feel compelled to explore. ;) That is a great area to wander around.

Thanks.
Dave

HenryG

Post by HenryG » October 3rd, 2014, 9:10 am

I was up to Indian Heaven yesterday and while the color is definitely on the decline as you said, Indian Heaven is still heaven. I know this is not the off-trail site, but as you were sharing the "unofficial" trails I frequent, I thought I would add the short (1/4 mile +/-) connector trail from the north side of Rock lake due east to the old PCT you show. Did not use it yesterday, but it is good to create smaller loops. I have used it for many years and it seems to be getting more use.

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » October 7th, 2014, 5:54 am

HenryG wrote:I thought I would add the short (1/4 mile +/-) connector trail from the north side of Rock lake due east to the old PCT you show.
Yes indeed! I hiked there last Friday, and used that trail on my route.

Romann, it was your fine TR that inspired me to take the hike, so thanks much! The berries were all gone by then, but there was still lots of color in the huckleberry fields, and the weather was bluebird perfect.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » July 29th, 2015, 7:44 pm

Hey Romann, I was searching for info and stumbled across this thread but none of the pictures are visible :(. Is there anyway you could repost the map or send it to me in a PM along with the location of the hunter's camp? I would really appreciate it :).
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

kylemeyer

Post by kylemeyer » July 30th, 2015, 6:48 am

Hey Sprengers — I run the site where those photos were hosted, and I confirmed that they're not attached to that hike anymore, but definitely used to be. It could be that Romann deleted them or perhaps more likely that the app I wrote lost or deleted this particularl trip's photos somehow. Looking in the server, I'm literally only missing this hike's photos in that id range…

Looking at my backups, but since it's long enough ago, these may be gone. :(

Edit: Yep, not in backups. I keep a month back.