Indian Heaven - One Last Track 06-Sep-2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Water

Re: Indian Heaven - One Last Track 06-Sep-2014

Post by Water » September 10th, 2014, 3:11 pm

VanMarmot!

Very cool -- so in recovering from my foot surgery I planned a little Indian Heaven hike this past Sunday. We went in East Crater, went down to Blue Lake, then up to Rock Lake--and my plan was just to go cross-country to the PCT. We followed an obvious footpath to a meadow where suddenly the trail took a 90 degree turn to the South. we followed that until it seemed like it was just going to dump us back at Blue Lake and so instead we just went cross country truly for about 200-300ft to get back to the PCT. Lucky we did, two women were hiking south looking for trail #33 :shock: thinking they were hiking north on the PCT.. they were coming towards Blue Lake and had started at the Cultus TH. We broke out the maps and hiked with them until Junction Lake and sent them on their way (they'd be fine--they had a map, just a very, very, poor one from the FS).

ANYWAYS, when I saw the old busted bridge and such along that 'abandoned' trail I wondered what the history of it was. So that was the old PCT, moved to get it out of meadows and into forest?

Very neat!
Feel Free to Feel Free