Bunker Hill and PCT east 4.22.09

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BaileyBoy

Bunker Hill and PCT east 4.22.09

Post by BaileyBoy » April 23rd, 2009, 10:45 am

Bailey and I hit this area to check out how much snow there was in the Falls Creek and Trapper Creek areas - looks like Falls Creek might not be too bad to now but in a week or so there should be less snow to go through. Trapper Creek would be okay for a few miles but I'm sure it's full of snow up higher.
We headed back to Stabler to start our hike to Bunker Hill. The TH is located on Road 417, you turn right just past the Wind River Work Center - in fact I stopped to talk with them since my topo was the 1978 version and it called the road N400. Road 417 also goes up to the Whistle Punk trail just north of the Bunker Hill/PCT trail which heads east at a small parking area.
One thing worth mentioning is to always check your camera before leaving home!! I had charged my battery to ensure sufficient strength then forgot to put in back in before leaving so I missed some nice shots, very disappointing.
The combination trail heads easterly through a giant meadow which I think was the old Wind River nursery area and about a half mile in the Bunker Hill trail splits from the PCT and starts climbing. The initial stages of the trail aren't too steep but about half way up the mountain side it gets Dog Mountain steep. There are still some old growth trees scattered around and it's a pleasant forest hike. Just before the top you'll see a path to the east which takes you out to a rocky area with great views of the Wind River area. There are no open views at the top of the butte due to tree cover. The old lookout tower foundation still exists and we noticed a temporary shelter someone had constructed - must have spent the night on the mountain without a tent.
Once at the PCT junction on our way down we headed east to explore the trail over to Panther Creek Road - Road N605 on my old topo and NFR 65 or Panther Creek on Google Maps. This is a nice woody walk but there is a road to cross before getting to the river so dog owners be aware. After crossing the road the trail goes between private posted properties for a bit. The property to the north has a nice lake/pond with two Adirondack chairs for wildlife viewing. There's a small stream before reaching the river and we ran into 6-8 large elk grazing, why did I forget my battery! We reached the Wind River in a little over a mile from the junction and decided to have lunch - it was pretty windy and chilly on Bunker Hill. There is even a rustic picnic table at the pretty arched footbridge over the river.
Then it's up to the main Wind River Road, crossing and continuing on the trail which is well marked. It wasn't long before we started hitting downfall, some of it pretty serious and all shapes and sizes. We faced this off and on all the way to the Panther Creek Road and I decided I'd come back here next week and start removing the smaller stuff for my trail work goal - get to have Bailey in there exploring while I do some pay back.
All in all, a very nice day and met a really nice couple who had some great advice for a knee replacement when I have to face it.

Skip