Yocum to 7,000' 27-August-2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Yocum to 7,000' 27-August-2014

Post by VanMarmot » August 29th, 2014, 6:27 am

For whatever reason, getting to 7,000' on Yocum Ridge has been on my list for several years now. Usually I give it a try in late Spring, in hopes of making a fun snow climb out of it. But combinations of poor weather, poor snow, wrong gear, and sudden attacks of common sense (Wow, this sheet of ice-covered snow really is steep! And, look, there's no run-out!) have thwarted my efforts. While just going to the campsites is a great workout with amazing views, I yearned to go higher. So when Guy posted his excellent TR (here) of a recent hike to the top of the ridge, and with time to finish the list running out, I knew I had to just get on with it. So an early start from town,

then over the logs currently substituting from the recently lost bridge,

past the Falls (according to PH regulations, all hikes to Yocum Ridge must include a photo of the Falls ;) ),

and on up to the campsites at 6,300',

which looked like this in June.

From there, it was an easy cruise up the snow-free boulder field to the upper part of the ridge, from where I could see at least three nice campsites (arrows) waiting for backpackers - two groups of which I'd pass on the way out.

The upper ridge was an open field covered with grasses and a profusion of flowers - caught me by surprise but shouldn't have since it's a bit like a smaller version of Paradise Park to the S. Also a much less crowded version. Most of the flowers were still in good shape - only a few had started to turn the season.

I headed up toward my designated highpoint (arrow),

with its view of Adams.

After lunch and a summit fly-by,

I headed down the S side of the ridge on not-to-steep grass and flower covered slopes.

This XC descent ended at 6,000' at a fork in the "official" trail (#771), which continues as a use trail from here up to the campsites.

One last look at Hood and I started down. One more off the list, a few more to go, and then on to new adventures. 18 mi RT, 4700' EG.

miah66

Re: Yocum to 7,000' 27-August-2014

Post by miah66 » August 29th, 2014, 8:30 am

A goal of mine as well this year. Not sure if I'm gonna make it in time! Last week I FINALLY made it all the way to the McNeil Pt shelter after 7 years and multiple attempts. We have too many trails in Oregon & Washington and I have too little free time...I can't even get to all the popular ones! Awesome TR per usual.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 29th, 2014, 5:35 pm

Whew! Eighteen miles and 4,700 vertical feet..? That's a 2-day trip for me, Van! I'm impressed by your buffness! Not to mention taking great photos along the way..! :) As always, great report and photography. Absolutely beautiful captures of some lesser-visited beauty spots -- and yet another reminder that Mount Hood IS truly special..!

Tom :)

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » August 30th, 2014, 6:11 am

Splintercat wrote:Whew! Eighteen miles and 4,700 vertical feet..? That's a 2-day trip for me, Van! I'm impressed by your buffness! Not to mention taking great photos along the way..! :) As always, great report and photography. Absolutely beautiful captures of some lesser-visited beauty spots -- and yet another reminder that Mount Hood IS truly special..!

Tom :)
Thanks Tom! And thanks for the "buffness" but I believe I left that behind a few years back (or it went to be with all those missing socks :? ). Now I'm just too old to stop moving lest gravity finally get the upper hand.

And, yes, Hood is special...

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » August 30th, 2014, 6:27 am

miah66 wrote:A goal of mine as well this year. Not sure if I'm gonna make it in time! Last week I FINALLY made it all the way to the McNeil Pt shelter after 7 years and multiple attempts. We have too many trails in Oregon & Washington and I have too little free time...I can't even get to all the popular ones! Awesome TR per usual.
Thanks! And, yes, too little free time. :cry: This was the summer that my corporate masters decided it would be good if I earned all kinds of frequent flyer miles rather than cut into profits by going hiking. I tried to explain that hiking was sorta' like golf - but without the clubs - but to no avail.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » August 31st, 2014, 12:06 pm

Wow! Great pics as usual, VanMarmot. Thanks for sharing your special places with us.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown