Broken Top Loop, 17-19 August 2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

Re: Broken Top Loop, 17-19 August 2014

Post by kepPNW » August 25th, 2014, 10:47 am

sprengers4jc wrote:Really inspiring, you two. Love all the pics. This area is now on my list, too. So far, we haven't done any backpacking trips that are more than what Crusak calls his 'hike-in camping.' We hike in 4-5 miles with 20-25 lb packs, set up camp, and dayhike from there for a couple of days. But it looks like this area would be a great adventure for us. Thanks for sharing your awesome trips!
Thanks! It really is an awesome area, with lots of possibilities for setting up a basecamp and then just exploring. In particular, that site at the bottom of Ball Butte.
sprengers4jc wrote:
retired jerry wrote:You could hike in from the South, 4 or 5 miles, and camp below Broken Top, and then day hike from there. This would be a perfect area for that.
Thanks, that's a great idea, Jerry! :)
I was going to suggest that, as well. But it does only cut the hike by a mile or two (it was just over 6 miles from Three Creeks Lake), and adds considerably to the drive. Tradeoffs, huh?
justpeachy wrote:Beautiful pics and great TR! That is a wonderful and beautiful loop. I think it's a pretty popular loop too, despite the fact that you have to do a bit of off-trail travel. It's one of the hike's in Doug Lorain's 100 Classic Hikes in Oregon book, so I'm surprised at the ranger's reaction.
Thanks, Cheryl! I wasn't aware this loop was in that book; I guess I need to get a copy of it. Jim told the ranger our Three Finger Jack loop was in that book, though, and his thoroughly non-thrilled response was, "Well, that's what freedom of the press gets ya, I guess." It was a very odd encounter. :?
miah66 wrote:Here's a pano of the storm clouds right on top of Karl & Jim from our camp in Park Meadow on Sunday night. It was really ominous.

Great TR Karl, you really lucked out on Golden Lake being empty. On Sunday afternoon there were no less than 7 or 8 tents scattered all around the lake, including a scout troop, and people were EVERYWHERE. We had planned on camping there, but instead we hastily moved on to Park Meadow to camp. I'm a sucker for meadows, and I found Park Meadow to be one of the finest I've ever encountered. (Minus the storm!) :lol:
Thank you for posting that, Jeremiah! I really love that shot. In fact, I'd love to get a full-res copy, to add to my collection for this trip. It looked totally different from just a few miles away. The enormity of it becomes far more apparent when you look at that dinky 9000' volcano underneath. 8-)

I think we did luck out on Golden Lake, too. It was a Monday night, which I guess made all the difference. (We didn't note too many campers at Green Lakes, either.) Also, I truly appreciate that text about the tarns! I don't think I would've thought to wander up that way, if you hadn't sent it. :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

TheOtherBob

Post by TheOtherBob » August 25th, 2014, 6:08 pm

Great trip! You have some great pictures of the layering of the rock. And that before/after image that starts the report off is priceless. :)

RobinB

Post by RobinB » August 25th, 2014, 7:58 pm

What a great trip report! It's a gorgeous trail, and your pictures more than do it justice. Also, that first comparison picture made my night.

Also also, weird about the ranger. The loop is so well-known now that I'd have thought he would be used to people doing it. Maybe he's new?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 26th, 2014, 6:12 am

TheOtherBob wrote:Great trip! You have some great pictures of the layering of the rock. And that before/after image that starts the report off is priceless. :)
Oh man, that banding in the rocks. I knew at the time I was taking waaaaay to many photos of it, but it was just spectacular! Couldn't resist the then/now comparison. :)
RobinB wrote:What a great trip report! It's a gorgeous trail, and your pictures more than do it justice. Also, that first comparison picture made my night.

Also also, weird about the ranger. The loop is so well-known now that I'd have thought he would be used to people doing it. Maybe he's new?
Thanks! Y'know, I almost got the sense it was just the opposite. That he'd been out there for a really long time. He sure knew his backcountry, and if anything seemed fully possessive - maybe protective is the better word? - of it. I suppose that's a good trait for a ranger.
Karl

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » August 27th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Broken Hand was named for Thomas "Broken Hand" Fitzpatrick, a trapper and guide who was in the area around the 1840's. Fitzpatrick lost several fingers when a musket exploded in his hand: hence the name.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 27th, 2014, 4:01 pm

oldandslow wrote:Broken Hand was named for Thomas "Broken Hand" Fitzpatrick, a trapper and guide who was in the area around the 1840's. Fitzpatrick lost several fingers when a musket exploded in his hand: hence the name.
Ahhhhhh! So it was named after someone, not because it looked like something! Shoulda thought of that. Same deal, as I recall, with Three Finger Jack. (Rough life, back then.)

Interesting guy - http://www.franksrealm.com/Indians/moun ... atrick.htm

Thanks!
Karl

Crusak

Post by Crusak » August 27th, 2014, 5:09 pm

sprengers4jc wrote:Really inspiring, you two. Love all the pics. This area is now on my list, too. So far, we haven't done any backpacking trips that are more than what Crusak calls his 'hike-in camping.' We hike in 4-5 miles with 20-25 lb packs, set up camp, and dayhike from there for a couple of days. But it looks like this area would be a great adventure for us. Thanks for sharing your awesome trips!

There is a small hill just west of Ball Butte, across from where Karl and I stayed at. If you don't mind ascending a bit more, you should check it out. Superb spot, secluded, with great views all around (and a few hundred feet higher than where Karl and I camped). Here's a screenshot of the map where that is:
spots around Ball Butte.jpg
I marked the spot with an 'X'. There is a user trail at the southern end of that hill leading up to the top. If nothing else, drop your packs and go explore up there to see if it's to your liking.
;)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » August 27th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Crusak wrote:

There is a small hill just west of Ball Butte, across from where Karl and I stayed at. If you don't mind ascending a bit more, you should check it out. Superb spot, secluded, with great views all around (and a few hundred feet higher than where Karl and I camped). Here's a screenshot of the map where that is:
spots around Ball Butte.jpg
I marked the spot with an 'X'. There is a user trail at the southern end of that hill leading up to the top. If nothing else, drop your packs and go explore up there to see if it's to your liking.
;)
Thanks, Crusak! With my wife's health issues, we can't go too far with the packs. That looks perfect. :-)
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 28th, 2014, 6:15 am

sprengers4jc wrote:
Crusak wrote:I marked the spot with an 'X'. There is a user trail at the southern end of that hill leading up to the top. If nothing else, drop your packs and go explore up there to see if it's to your liking.
;)
Thanks, Crusak! With my wife's health issues, we can't go too far with the packs. That looks perfect. :-)
Yeah, that could be a nice spot, too! I wandered past there on our second day. It's right above (south of) a little saddle, from which you can drop to the west to go explore the crater or head up and northeast to No Name Lake. A little closer to the "highway," but just fine views. Where we were meant a creek crossing to go anywhere, but of course it also meant folks on the trail didn't wander randomly into our camp. Look at both spots, before deciding. :)
joesef wrote:Great report I have to do some loops down there a spectacular wilderness second to none from the little I have seen. Seems well managed with rangers out there goofy or not. You Pictures are first rate.
Welcome, joesef! And thanks! It is just an outstanding Wilderness, especially if you're drawn to volcanic landscapes. My favorite local playground is up around Mount Saint Helens, which is more raw. But while TSW has had more recovery time, the multitude and variety of features is incredible. I can't believe I let nearly 40 years go by between visits down there. "I'll be back." :)
Karl

OneMoreMile

Post by OneMoreMile » February 3rd, 2015, 6:17 am

Great trip report and great pictures. I'm in planning mode for this summer. You've inspired me to try this one out!