Salmon Butte 21-June-2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Salmon Butte 21-June-2014

Post by VanMarmot » June 22nd, 2014, 6:45 am

The loved one has workaholic tendencies, so I make every effort to lure her into the outdoors for a hike whenever possible. Yesterday was one such opportunity and I looked for a hike that was easy to get to, not too long (~ 10 mi), with views, and that I hadn't done before. After some searching, I came up with Salmon Butte (Trail #791) in the Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness. This proved to be an excellent choice - a great trail, with interesting stuff to see (and photograph) along the way, culminating in big views. So, we drove to the TH or, actually the "new" TH which is about 1.25 mi short of the old one.

I thought I'd missed this change just because my guidebooks are old but even the USFS website seems unaware of it and several people we passed coming back were also a bit confused because their somewhat newer guides also showed the older, higher TH (however, the National Geographic map for the Mount Hood Wilderness has it shown correctly). But, no matter, the "road" is now a nice trail bordered with grasses and small trees.

We'd gotten the usual early start, so there was still dew on the foliage lining the trail.

Most of the trail traverses through a delightful forest of second and old growth forest,

some specimens of which are huge :shock: .

Around the 3,200' level, there was a spot where we could get out of the forest into a small meadow sporting a large collection of freshly hatched wild flowers.

Back in the forest, we came across an amazingly large (but obviously near-sighted) tree root fungus.

One of the highlights of this hike are the rhododendrons that line the trail from about the 3,400' level on up - most of which were still in fresh bloom.

At about 4,400', we came to the first big viewpoint, with its full-on view of Hood, with Devils Peak in the foreground.

Shortly thereafter, we reached the summit, with its (somewhat hazy) views of Jefferson and Olallie Butte,

and St Helens, Rainer, and Adams.

Because our nephew just graduated from the University of Delaware, we'd brought along their "Fighting Blue Hen" mascot for a "semi-selfie" with Hood in the background (The Delaware Blue Hen is a landrace variety of chicken that was adopted on April 14, 1939, as the state bird of Delaware. The University of Delaware mascot, known as YoUDee, is also modeled after the bird.).

Having started down the slippery slope of selfies, we did one of us too.

About this time, a guy - who turned out to be the indefatigable PABLO :o - popped onto the summit, so we took his picture too.

He'd come up the trail (rather than directly up some steep ridge as I'd thought at first) but was planning to go XC in search of a volcanic vent somewhere down slope of the Butte - so look for his off-trail TR of that adventure! After that, it was back down the trail to the TH for us.

Along the way, we passed perhaps a dozen hikers on their way up (far more than I usually see on a hike), some puzzling over why their guidebooks / maps didn't exactly match the trail. We took some time for photographs, including a fly on a flower,

and a fly being eaten on a flower by a crab spider!

Wonderful hike on an excellent, easily accessible trail running at a gentle uphill grade through a varied forest and ending with views - definitely one to recommend to visitors looking for a taste of hiking in the Portland area. Now 12 mi RT, 3200' EG from the new TH, whereas the hike from the old TH was 9 mi RT and 2,800' EG.

retired jerry

Re: Salmon Butte 21-June-2014

Post by retired jerry » June 22nd, 2014, 7:18 am

Nice report. I don't think I've done that before but nearby areas. I'll have to try that sometime. Thanks.

Wow - you met the famous Pablo. I can't think of anyone with so much techno gear :D Two GPSes? 35mm camera and a Gopro? ...

When you do a "selfie" aren't you supposed to hold camera at arm's length? :lol:

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » June 22nd, 2014, 7:38 am

retired jerry wrote:Nice report. I don't think I've done that before but nearby areas. I'll have to try that sometime. Thanks.

Wow - you met the famous Pablo. I can't think of anyone with so much techno gear :D Two GPSes? 35mm camera and a Gopro? ...

When you do a "selfie" aren't you supposed to hold camera at arm's length? :lol:
Thanks!

I've actually hiked with Pablo (Three Corner 2013), so it was a surprise to see him on "easy" Salmon Butte! And with more instrumentation than a 747!

You're probably right about the correct selfie etiquette (arms length or one of those Mayhem-style camera-mount modified trekking poles) - just shows how out of touch I am with the modern world. :roll:

pablo

Post by pablo » June 22nd, 2014, 1:16 pm

Nice meeting y'all at the summit. Wonderful photos, you are making good use of that fancy camera and a good eye for composition. 747, I have no rational explanation for why I carry so much gear so I'll just leave it there.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

miah66

Post by miah66 » June 23rd, 2014, 10:19 am

That pic of the crab spider eating the fly is SO AWESOME!!!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 23rd, 2014, 10:59 am

Nice! Looks like one I'd like to have ready to do "someday" when I just need to get out somewhere quickly. So where is the new TH? Looks like the USFS page is outdated. The directions in our Field Guide look a bit different - are they any more up to date? Wasn't sure which point you were saying was only off by so much. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » June 23rd, 2014, 6:30 pm

kepPNW wrote:Nice! Looks like one I'd like to have ready to do "someday" when I just need to get out somewhere quickly. So where is the new TH? Looks like the USFS page is outdated. The directions in our Field Guide look a bit different - are they any more up to date? Wasn't sure which point you were saying was only off by so much. :)
The current field guide entry reads: "Head east of Portland on Highway 26 to Zig Zag. Turn right on Salmon River road, following the road for 4.9 paved miles and 1.7 miles of gravel road. Parking is available on the left and the trail begins on the right."

What it should say is: "Head east of Portland on Highway 26 to Zig Zag. Turn right on Salmon River road, following the road for 4.9 paved miles and 0.5 miles of gravel road. The road is blocked here by large boulders and there is a "Salmon Butte Trailhead" sign on a tree. Parking is available on the left and the trail begins directly behind the boulders."
Last edited by VanMarmot on June 23rd, 2014, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 23rd, 2014, 6:33 pm

VanMarmot wrote:What it should say is: "Head east of Portland on Highway 26 to Zig Zag. Turn right on Salmon River road, following the road for 4.9 paved miles and 0.7 miles of gravel road. The road is blocked here by large boulders and there is a "Salmon Butte Trailhead" sign on a tree. Parking is available on the left and the trail begins directly behind the boulders."
Bookmarked! Thanks much! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 23rd, 2014, 6:57 pm

I fixed it, thanks

Nicely stated VM :)