Flowers at Jonstone ridge and a trip up Coldwater peak 6/19

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Roy

Flowers at Jonstone ridge and a trip up Coldwater peak 6/19

Post by Roy » June 19th, 2014, 10:18 pm

I went to the Monument today intent on hiking up Coldwater peak I knew there would be some snow on the upper slopes so I brought micro spikes and yaktrax. The morning was cold as I left the lot at Johnstone ridge. I was the first out and immediately the fragrance of flowers filled the air orange and purples lined the trail.

As I hit the ridge above the Humocks a cold wind hit me and it kept me moving. As I followed the Boundary trail I could see all the spots the other hikers had been TheOtherBob ,Sean and Jo and GraigG and company. Coldwater peak hovered to the east reminding me of another tr. Finally after passing the Harry's Ridge junction the sun began to warm me and this is were the climb begins.

I had no Idea what to expect snow wise I did not take any photos till I topped out on Coldwater. So I will post the Photos from top to finish.

It was spectacular on top calm and clear.

One lonely flower on the top.

St Helens lake.

Spirit Lake.

The trail was thawed out the last couple hundred yards before the top.

Below that was a steep long snow bank I had no boot steps to follow in the snow after the South Coldwater junction. But the snow was soft and I kick stepped never using traction devises.

Heading towards the South Coldwater junction.

It just did not look like there were that many snowfields to cross up there.Image

Time for cruise control.

Since I retired I put on a few pounds so it was time for a change :(

I was alone till the Harry's ridge junction on my return then after the Truman Junction it got busy. The closer I got to JRO It was very crowded.

It was a great hike I have not done that one for over four years its just a lot of fun.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

sprengers4jc

Re: Flowers at Jonstone ridge and a trip up Coldwater peak

Post by sprengers4jc » June 20th, 2014, 6:52 am

Great photos and TR of a spectacular area. Every year I say that we are going to get up there, and then I get lazy and say, 'do I really want to drive four hours round trip to do so....?' :/ We just need to do it.

Any guess on the elevation gain and length, along with exposure issues?
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

payslee

Post by payslee » June 20th, 2014, 7:15 am

Thanks for the terrific TR, Roy! I've been thinking of Coldwater as a nice long hike to do for solstice tomorrow, and if the weather looks good, I'm sold!

From the map, looks like starting from Johnston ridge is about a 12 mile RT, and looks like less than 2,000 feet gain? Not bad.

Thanks for the terrific pictures - I am definitely doing this one on a view day.

-payslee

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 20th, 2014, 8:32 am

Looks like you had a marvelous day up there! Good to see it melting out so well. Those steep snowbanks just past the saddle and on the way up Coldwater always give me pause. I gotta get back up there while the bloom is on!
sprengers4jc wrote:Any guess on the elevation gain and length, along with exposure issues?
payslee wrote:From the map, looks like starting from Johnston ridge is about a 12 mile RT, and looks like less than 2,000 feet gain? Not bad.
There are what some people consider to be pretty serious exposure issues in at least two spots along that route - the west side approach to Devil's Elbow and on both sides of the Rock Arch. I'm not one to enjoy tightrope walking, but if you're unphased by "The Vertigo Mile" on Eagle Creek, neither of these will be deal-breakers.

Just checked one of my tracks, and from JRO to the peak, it's 6.2 miles with 2350' EG and 835' EL, so up to 13-ish miles and 3200' EG roundtrip without any side trips.
Capture.JPG
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Roy

Post by Roy » June 20th, 2014, 8:46 am

A hint the heavy wet snow will ball up and stick to yaktrax , micro spikes and crampons making them more slippery many times than a good tread. That is why I did not use anything.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » June 20th, 2014, 9:30 am

kepPNW wrote:Looks like you had a marvelous day up there! Good to see it melting out so well. Those steep snowbanks just past the saddle and on the way up Coldwater always give me pause. I gotta get back up there while the bloom is on!
sprengers4jc wrote:Any guess on the elevation gain and length, along with exposure issues?
payslee wrote:From the map, looks like starting from Johnston ridge is about a 12 mile RT, and looks like less than 2,000 feet gain? Not bad.
There are what some people consider to be pretty serious exposure issues in at least two spots along that route - the west side approach to Devil's Elbow and on both sides of the Rock Arch. I'm not one to enjoy tightrope walking, but if you're unphased by "The Vertigo Mile" on Eagle Creek, neither of these will be deal-breakers.

Just checked one of my tracks, and from JRO to the peak, it's 6.2 miles with 2350' EG and 835' EL, so up to 13-ish miles and 3200' EG roundtrip without any side trips.
Capture.JPG

Great info, Karl. Thanks. :)
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Peder

Post by Peder » June 20th, 2014, 10:03 am

Great day out Tomroy! I am glad you were there! :D
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

awildman

Post by awildman » June 20th, 2014, 3:36 pm

Nice TR, Roy! It looked like it was a good day to get out there and have the peak all to yourself.
Rambling on at Allison Outside

Roy

Post by Roy » June 20th, 2014, 3:41 pm

sprengers4jc wrote:Great photos and TR of a spectacular area. Every year I say that we are going to get up there, and then I get lazy and say, 'do I really want to drive four hours round trip to do so....?' :/ We just need to do it.

Any guess on the elevation gain and length, along with exposure issues?
The drive is a easy one paved highways its I-5 half the way 70 mph in Washington and the spirit lake Hwy is easy to maintain a 55 mph speed limit.Then the last twenty minutes its hard to stay on the road the views are jaw dropping.

The Devils elbow is a quarter mile of trail cut out of a steep face with a wicked drop off and small section of trail switch backing down to the arch is a little airy and that's it when the snow is melted off.
Last edited by Roy on June 21st, 2014, 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roy

Post by Roy » June 20th, 2014, 4:29 pm

kepPNW wrote:Looks like you had a marvelous day up there! Good to see it melting out so well. Those steep snowbanks just past the saddle and on the way up Coldwater always give me pause. I gotta get back up there while the bloom is on!
Just checked one of my tracks, and from JRO to the peak, it's 6.2 miles with 2350' EG and 835' EL
Karl were you up at McNeil point yesterday? I almost contacted you to see if you wanted to go there but I thought it was short notice for someone who works. You probably went with stronger hikers than I anyway ;)

Always admire your tracks graphs and interest in these things I have some other hobbies and always seem short on time.
payslee wrote:Thanks for the terrific TR, Roy! I've been thinking of Coldwater as a nice long hike to do for solstice tomorrow, and if the weather looks good, I'm sold!

From the map, looks like starting from Johnston ridge is about a 12 mile RT, and looks like less than 2,000 feet gain? Not bad.

Thanks for the terrific pictures - I am definitely doing this one on a view day.

-payslee
Watch out this place is addictive if you go soon it seems you can bypass the some of steep snow fields but the bush whacking is a few feet from some cliffs in places if you try it.