Wychus creek, from neck to ankle, 15 June 2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
chiefWright

Wychus creek, from neck to ankle, 15 June 2014

Post by chiefWright » June 17th, 2014, 5:22 am

I was gonna title this TR "from head to toe", but that wouldn't be correct. I started my adventure at Chush Falls, which is a few miles downstream from where Wychus Creek rises below Broken Hand, and I finished my adventure at Alder Springs, which is a few miles upstream from where Wychus Creek joins the Deschutes.

And no, the body parts don't refer to anything that got wet. I was careful; I didn't fall in.

Since no hiking parter materialized for my rare spur-of-the-moment day off, I opted to just stick to the trails. and round out the day with a visit to Alder Springs. My route was straight from Scott's Bend, Overall 2nd edition, trips 47 & 86.

The 2012 Pole Creek fire did a number on the road going to Chush Falls. In fact the FS abandoned the original trailhead for a spot about a mile back. So the first half of the trail is on old road thru a 100% burn zone. There ain't nothin left but charred trees and mineral soil. But nature has such a vigor to regenerate. There were several bits of lushness by small streams, even though all the trees and duff have been completely obliterated. But there was at least enough in the streams to water a puppy..
PICT0030.JPG
PICT0031.JPG
PICT0036.JPG
There's a cool spot along the way by the creek where it glides over flatrock. Puppy was rather mollified after I yelled at her to stay away from the current!
PICT0033.JPG
And the payoff is so worth it. Chush is one freaky falls. I love how it spreads out to both sides; for such a small stream it makes a monster waterfall!
PICT0038.JPG
But it gets better. The upper waterfall is just plain awesome!
PICT0039.JPG
After reading the entries in waterfalls NW, I'm pumped to go explore the rest. But definitely not solo. It's easy navigation, but dangerous and fragile country.

But on the way back, I just couldn't help myself. I noticed where Snow Creek went thru some pretty steep contours, and wondered if a waterfall might be hiding there. I found an abandoned forest road that was easy to follow leading in that direction. And much to my suprise, there was this sad remnant of a bridge crossing Snow Creek!
PICT0045.JPG
PICT0046.JPG
Not only had it been burned to a crisp in 2012, but the abutments had been completely washed out. I first assumed the washout was another tragic result of the fire, until I realized the bridge was burned well below where the abutments would have been. Some previous washout, I suppose.

Snow Creek did indeed crash down thru a steep canyon, but no obvious waterfall. But being solo, I opted to not explore very far. However, I did find some lovely cascades.
PICT0047.JPG
PICT0049.JPG
And a fair amount of happy little wildflowers. I have no idea what these were, but I would call them baby balsamroot:
PICT0043.JPG
A quick stopover in Sisters for a huckleberry milkshake at BJ's. It was satisfying, but unfortunately made with regular ice cream. Note, the best milkshakes are always made with vanilla soft-serve, with flavoring added. But I'm not complaining....
Last edited by chiefWright on June 17th, 2014, 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chiefWright

Re: Wychus creek, from neck to ankle

Post by chiefWright » June 17th, 2014, 5:30 am

Then on to Alder Springs. Going from deep woods waterfalls to grand canyon in 30 minutes!!
PICT0051.JPG
And it cuts thru the Deschutes Formation, an amazing geology, 7 million years old.
PICT0060.JPG
And check out this hollow in the side of the canyon! Whoda thunk I'd find Utah in Oregon???
PICT0058.JPG
Finally, down to the bottom of the canyon, where Alder Springs jumps out of the ground fully formed, like a miniature Metolius.
PICT0057.JPG
Nothing left but chill out by the creek, and say hi to the same water we saw upstream.
PICT0065.JPG
Last edited by chiefWright on June 17th, 2014, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justpeachy

Re: Wychus creek, from neck to ankle

Post by justpeachy » June 17th, 2014, 8:22 am

That's a beautiful area. There are several documented waterfalls along Park Creek, although there are no trails.

mtnhiker56

Re: Wychus creek, from neck to ankle, 15 June 2014

Post by mtnhiker56 » June 17th, 2014, 6:22 pm

If you ever need a hiking partner...

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » June 18th, 2014, 8:29 pm

Great Tr...nice to see someone else hiking Wychus Creek. I made the trip down there last November and posted a TR on here on the off-trail forum http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... 10&t=17583. Alder Springs looks like a very interesting place that I need to check out next time I am over that way. Thanks for sharing. :)
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » June 20th, 2014, 8:18 am

I love that little hollow. A friend of mine who is a photographer spent a lot of time taking pics there. The whole trail is amazing.
woodswalker

greglief

Post by greglief » June 22nd, 2014, 2:10 pm

Thank you for the TR and photos, and for reminding me that I need to revisit Wychus Creek... it has been too long. Yes, Chush Falls is pretty cool (and unique), isn't it? :D
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » June 22nd, 2014, 3:40 pm

Cool find on the old bridge, interesting TR
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.