Hummocks to JRO 6/1/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
romann

Hummocks to JRO 6/1/14

Post by romann » June 5th, 2014, 11:48 pm

This past Sunday my dad and I hiked Boundary Trail from Hummocks trailhead to Johnston Ridge Observatory, and also added a short loop on Hummocks trail on the way back. This trail seems overlooked because it's parallel to SR-504 (so what takes to hike 2.5 hours up, can be driven in 15 minutes on the highway), but as a hike it's spectacular, the view changes all the time. Except for the last 3/4 mile to observatory, you don't see the road and the crowds.

(about 10 miles, 2150')

First off, we visited newly reopened Coldwater Ridge Visitor Center and got our wrist bands, which saved us the drive to JRO (NW Forest Pass gets you one free 'volcano pass' for the day). CRVC is now open on Saturdays and Sundays only, from 10 am to 5 or 6 in the evening. There's neat exhibits inside and a movie room, and *great* view of the lake from the balcony.

Then off on Hummocks Trail. Past the first junction, it looks like savannah for awhile, gently rolling hills, lots of grass/flowers and small alder groves. Lots of sun :)

These flowers (penstemon?) are everywhere

As well as ripe strawberries on the lower part of the trail (still in flowers higher up - much more to come!)

A few lupine - our timing was about right

Don't know what these are

The trail suddenly picks uphill, and after another short woods walk you get into more volcanic type of terrain

The mountain view never fully opened all day

Wildlife

Got a good look at Toutle River canyons - the landmark is so young it's not on any topo maps yet

'running roots'

Could see Coldwater Ridge Visitor Center over the lake

Wild currant

My dad checks new rockfall on the trail. It didn't present any obstacle to cross

Two hues of paintbrush

Pedestrian view of Coldwater Peak from the upper parking lot

After a quick lunch near JRO and more wildlife (brave and hungry army of chipmunks), we headed back and in 5 minutes again had the trail to ourselves. There are some exposed places along the trail we didn't notice on the way up, but going down had to slow on loose gravel.

Same views, better lighting

'the Earth before a Man' (there's something primal in this landscape)

Small lake/pond among the hummocks

More greenery

Wild clover

We made a brief stop at Coldwater Lake. There was a big group (mostly kids) kayaking back.

Another new thing we noticed at the lake - there is a rack with 4 (or was it 6?) aluminum boats near the restrooms, each boat had a USFS sign on it. Looks like a boat rental? Each boat is big enough for 2-3 adults, and can be conveniently carried by 2 people (or with some balance skills, by 1).

One last shot of St. Helens (I promise ;) ), this is from Elk Rock viewpoint

Great hike on a new trail, still wondering how I drove by it so many times before.

TheOtherBob

Re: Hummocks to JRO 6/1/14

Post by TheOtherBob » June 6th, 2014, 4:58 am

Thank you for this update!

Coincidentally, my father is coming into town tonight for a hike. I've been wanting to take him out to Coldwater Peak, but wasn't sure about what the snow is like up there and was thinking of taking him out to Table Mtn instead... but it looks like things are pretty clear out at JRO.

Has anyone else been out to JRO recently? Any info on the snow level up there? It sounds like things are melting pretty quickly everywhere this year.

Peder

Post by Peder » June 6th, 2014, 7:40 am

Yes, I love that bit of trail and it is often a great place to see elk! Obviously also a great place for parents: My then 80 y.o did JRO to the Hummocks (downhill) two years ago, while my kind daughter kindly drove the vehicle between the two points.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Roy

Post by Roy » June 6th, 2014, 10:56 am

Nice tr Roman I see have to get back up that way things were still asleep when I was last there. If you get word that the road 99 and 25 open to the east side give me a shout. Its always nice when that side opens up to.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 6th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Great report on a great trail.
I hiked this same exact route last fall when the road to JRO was still closed.
Had the entire JRO area to myself.
I highly recommend this hike during the off season, but as you found out, its super awesome at any point of the year.

romann

Post by romann » June 6th, 2014, 7:27 pm

Thanks all!
Peder wrote:My then 80 y.o did JRO to the Hummocks (downhill) two years ago, while my kind daughter kindly drove the vehicle between the two points.
I thought about it, too - that is a perfect shuttle hike. All-downhill is great for family and friends who don't regularly hike 5+ miles up, but still want to see nice scenery. And, the road access is great.
TheOtherBob wrote:Thank you for this update!

Coincidentally, my father is coming into town tonight for a hike. I've been wanting to take him out to Coldwater Peak, but wasn't sure about what the snow is like up there and was thinking of taking him out to Table Mtn instead...
The trail on the east side of Coldwater Peak (not visible in my photos), the last mile to the summit, holds snow into July. You may go to the viewpoint of St Helens Lake (1 mile short of Coldwater summit) all without snow, then backtrack to Harrys Ridge viewpoint. Would still be a great hike.
Roy wrote:Nice tr Roman I see have to get back up that way things were still asleep when I was last there. If you get word that the road 99 and 25 open to the east side give me a shout. Its always nice when that side opens up to.
Thanks Tom. I am already watching the road to Norway Pass trailhead. And last year they were slow to open it (after July 4?) - don't remember exact date.
-Q- wrote:Great report on a great trail.
I hiked this same exact route last fall when the road to JRO was still closed.
Had the entire JRO area to myself.
I highly recommend this hike during the off season, but as you found out, its super awesome at any point of the year.
Thanks! It was actually very quiet hike on that nice Sunday, surprisingly so - except for the upper 3/4 mile I think we met only one group. There were 3 or 4 other cars when we started but everyone else might've been doing Hummocks loop while we did Boundary trail first so we didn't see other hikers.