Ape Canyon to Ape Canyon Viewpoint 5-31-14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sisu

Ape Canyon to Ape Canyon Viewpoint 5-31-14

Post by Sisu » June 2nd, 2014, 8:24 pm

We hiked out Saturday morning; the sun was bright and the air was crisp. Nothing short of a perfect day for hiking. We were stunned, and I mean STUNNED by the beauty. Walking the ridge with panoramic views on either side, we were treated to jaw-dropping vistas of Mount Saint Helen's, views so overpowering, that I felt like I could scale her summit with ease, I couldn't help but think we live in one of the most amazing places on earth. After several more breathtaking viewpoints and staying right at the Loowit Trail Junction, we ran into a little snow, most of which will be gone by next weekend and, luckily enough, we saw several mountain goats. There were about eight on one side and one nanny goat with her baby on the other side of a hill, I think it's Pumice Butte. This was a fun hike, I had little idea of what to expect. So happy I got to see everything I saw.
Attachments
image.jpg
I could post 1000 picture of this mountain!
image.jpg
Is this trillium? Seems too late in the year.
image.jpg
This tree was a eerie reminder of the blast
image.jpg
My SIL, Tim found nirvana, haha! I had to post this, it made me laugh
image.jpg
Yes, I could have been a dancer
image.jpg
A bit of snow
image.jpg
If you strain your eyes and squint, you can see the goats, all the little white dots. Wish I had a stronger lens
image.jpg
This mountain is soooo beautiful!

Roy

Re: Ape Canyon to Ape Canyon Viewpoint 5-31-14

Post by Roy » June 2nd, 2014, 10:09 pm

Sisu wrote:We hiked out Saturday morning; the sun was bright and the air was crisp. Nothing short of a perfect day for hiking. We were stunned, and I mean STUNNED by the beauty. Walking the ridge with panoramic views on either side, we were treated to jaw-dropping vistas of Mount Saint Helen's, views so overpowering, that I felt like I could scale her summit with ease, I couldn't help but think we live in one of the most amazing places on earth. After several more breathtaking viewpoints and staying right at the Loowit Trail Junction, we ran into a little snow, most of which will be gone by next weekend and, luckily enough, we saw several mountain goats. There were about eight on one side and one nanny goat with her baby on the other side of a hill, I think it's Pumice Butte. This was a fun hike, I had little idea of what to expect. So happy I got to see everything I saw.
Great tr and I been thinking about that one tough to find out about the conditions there your timing and tr were excellent :D

No matter where I go on MSH goats always allude me. On Adams I saw one near the false summit and see um almost every time any where above the tree line.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura