5.22.14 - Elevator Shaft to Nesika Lodge

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
zombie

5.22.14 - Elevator Shaft to Nesika Lodge

Post by zombie » May 23rd, 2014, 10:31 pm

Been looking at Elevator Shaft with longing for a number of years and finally decided to give it a go this morning! I needed to be back in SE Portland by 3:30 and figured this was a great morning option as long as I didn't wind up being one of those many tales of "lost on faint trails". Got to Multnomah Falls around 8am and was treated to some shots of the falls without the nearly requisite throngs!
elevator1.jpg

Across the newly opened Benson Bridge and up a switchback or two, we found our way to the Gorge Trail 400. Headed East for about a half mile and could tell immediately that we had arrived at our destination.
elevator2.jpg
elevator3.jpg

I knew to look for some protruding chain link fence, but am confident to report that this eithe rno longer exists or is buried under some deep moss because no such landmark was to be found. Looking up, however, it seemed to be a straight forward (or straight up as it were) proposition! So I picked a rock and started climbing... This first slope was about 300' of elevation and was mostly covered with a thick carpet of moss. I had read that this trail is nearly always slippery, but was happy to discover that after a few warm and sunny days, things were easy going except for the occasional loose rocks.
elevator4.jpg
elevator5.jpg
After this first 300' gain, we entered a brief break of trees and scrub...which was about 85% poison oak by my count...it was EVERYWHERE. This would be the only time that I came across a noticeable amount for the duration of the day however! Soon the scramble pops back out of the trees and we were facing another scree/talus slope of about 700' elevation. Immediately noticeable was the fact that the faint switchbacks that may have even been imagined on the lower half were now defined and vastly easier to traverse. In fact, this entire climb was so much easier than I ever expected it to be!
elevator6.jpg
elevator7.jpg
elevator8.jpg
elevator9.jpg
We had now gone up about 1000ft of incline in about a half mile, but honestly it didn't feel like it...maybe it was the knowledge that the steepest climbing was still ahead. At the top of the scree slope, we popped into the shade of the trees and began another 700’ climb…this one on a loose earth trail of about ¼ mile…and eventually came to the ridge of the Multnomah Basin. The colors up here were amazing! The sun turned everything a hundred shades of vibrant green and purple, white and gold flowers were in full bloom everywhere we turned. Whatever fears we still harbored of becoming turned around or wandering down random faint spur trails disappeared immediately when we found every footpath clear as day and heading in cardinal directions for easy navigating. We hung a left and headed for the Coyote Rock viewpoint and the Nesika Lodge.
elevator10.jpg
elevator11.jpg
elevator12.jpg
After a brief stop at Coyote Rock we wandered on until the trail began to descend and I knew we must be nearing the eastern edge of the basin. Sure enough, just moments later we saw buildings ahead and had arrived at the Trails Club’s amazing lodge. Just up the dual track road leading out the far side of the lodge is a spur trail to their breathtaking memorial viewpoint…the best place for a snack on the whole hike.
elevator13.jpg
elevator14.jpg
elevator15.jpg

Continued in next post...

zombie

Re: 5.22.14 - Elevator Shaft to Nesika Lodge

Post by zombie » May 23rd, 2014, 10:35 pm

...Continued
elevator17.jpg

Cutting back through the grounds we headed back on the Multnomah return trail and were treated to the Christmas Trail shortcut along the way, along which hundreds of ornaments have been hung by festive visitors for what appears to be a great many years!
elevator16.jpg
elevator18.jpg
elevator19.jpg
elevator20.jpg
elevator21.jpg

Another jaunt along the lodge access road and we caught the junction trail down to Larch Mountain 441, our ticket back to Multnomah Falls and our car. Steam was billowing from sun warmed rock walls surrounding Weisendanger Falls…was quite mesmerizing.
elevator22.jpg
elevator23.jpg
A short while later and we were back at the start…about 7.5 miles and 2241’ of elevation the richer. Started our day leaving the parking lot about 8 and were in the gift shop by noon. I simply must do this hike again as I was pressed for time on this day and there is still so much to see up there! I had no idea where to look for the Buick and I want to head to the Multnomah overlook when I am not with someone who is so timid with heights. Truly was an interesting and rewarding experience for such a short hop into the woods!

-Aaron

RobinB

Post by RobinB » May 23rd, 2014, 11:15 pm

That's a great loop - thanks for the TR.
zombie wrote:I knew to look for some protruding chain link fence, but am confident to report that this eithe rno longer exists or is buried under some deep moss because no such landmark was to be found.
Interesting. It was there maybe a month ago - on the far eastern side of the rock slide. I wonder if spring growth has just overtaken it?

zombie

Post by zombie » May 23rd, 2014, 11:43 pm

RobinB wrote:
zombie wrote:I knew to look for some protruding chain link fence, but am confident to report that this eithe rno longer exists or is buried under some deep moss because no such landmark was to be found.
Interesting. It was there maybe a month ago - on the far eastern side of the rock slide. I wonder if spring growth has just overtaken it?

Ahhh...I was mistakenly looking for it on the near side (West), so that would explain it! Thanks!

-Aaron

Guy

Post by Guy » May 24th, 2014, 4:38 am

zombie wrote:
RobinB wrote:

Ahhh...I was mistakenly looking for it on the near side (West), so that would explain it! Thanks!

-Aaron
Yeah it's still there, it's just a bit further East than most reports about the Elevator shaft say it is!

Thanks for the TR, This is my favorite time of year to visit the Basin.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » May 24th, 2014, 6:29 am

After a brief stop at Coyote Rock we wandered on...
Did you mean Cougar Rock?

Fun hike :)

Like2hikeLeea

Post by Like2hikeLeea » June 3rd, 2014, 6:10 pm

Thanks Zombie! Great report, Ive been thinking about tackling that route, maybe in August w/ visiting friend to hang our Gingerbread man and Star cookie cutters Of which you clicked a pic :lol:
Never tire of our Gorgeous Gorge!
The civilized man has built a couch, but has lost the use of his feet. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson