Criterion Ranch

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
HenryG

Criterion Ranch

Post by HenryG » May 12th, 2014, 4:14 pm

Yesterday I took my first hike at Criterion Ranch. Not sure to whom this might appeal but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The property was purchased by the BLM about 10 years ago to develop greater access to the Deschutes river canyon. There has been little development to date. They still rent it out for cattle grazing. It is a little ways from my home in Washougal, about 10 miles south of Maupin but i enjoy central Oregon. I had first come along it while headed to Bend on a business trip in spring of 2012. I looked it up on the internet and this description sounded interesting.

“A little-known great hike begins at about milepost 57. On the west side of the highway is a parking spot next to radio towers that pierce the sky. That’s about as much of a guidepost as you get. This is the old Criterion Ranch Trail. It follows along an old ranch trail that turned into a firebreak during a wildfire in 2011. As you come over the crest, you'll see a large grassy meadow. Just over the meadow is the rock outcropping that takes you to the canyon's rim The trail ends at a remarkable overlook of the Deschutes River—the reward for your eleven-mile hike.”

I wanted to do this hike in the spring with hopefully some flowers and comfortable temps (not the 30’s of winter nor the 90’s an 100’s of summer) so Sunday worked out well. Given it’s lack of publicity I didn’t expect much company, and no one else was there the whole day. The 11 miles was round trip, but there was only about 400 feet of climb…. Almost a all of it on the way back.

The trailhead is located along Hwy 197 adjacent to a large microwave tower and building at the summit of a long climb. For the first 3 miles I was wondering if this was such a great idea. But, as the dirt 4WD track continued out the long ridge and started sloping down more the surroundings got better. The ridge is the highest land for miles in any direction (hence the microwave tower) with ½ dozen antennas pointing in different points of the compass. The as we came over a crest the meadows in the benches below came into view and it was a flower explosion. We spent over an hour exploring eating lunch and exploring. We ended up over a mile away from where we had come over the crest and so decided to cut across country back to the 4WD track. The hike up the 300 ft slope was steep, but we hit the track about 2 ½+ miles from the trailhead.

This ia not my strong suite. I have tried to post a pdf of my track on a topo map. I will email it if any one wants it or can tell me a different method to send it..
Attachments
1 looking back on the towers at the start.JPG
2 is this all there is  See burn effects on left.JPG
3 more sagebrush and junipers on the right side  Mt Adams in the distance about 50 miles.JPG
4 You can see forever and these lupines love it.JPG
5 meadows on the lower bench come in view.JPG
6 FLOWER WOW.JPG
7 AND MORE WOW.JPG
9 let's change flower type.JPG
11Deschutes river far below.JPG
DSC_0076.JPG
DSC_0082.JPG
DSC_0084.JPG
DSC_0100.JPG
DSC_0104.JPG

Peder

Re: Criterion Ranch

Post by Peder » May 12th, 2014, 7:20 pm

HenryG wrote:Not sure to whom this might appeal but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
What a name: Criterion Ranch! I never heard of it before. Judging by your pictures, everybody - except flower haters - will love it! The flower haters can just go in winter... and the tree huggers will have to abstain, judging by the vistas...
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 12th, 2014, 8:07 pm

I've driven by there a couple times and noticed it. Thanks for the info. Someone else did a trip report some time ago.

That desert scenery is very scenic. Pretty to see flowers.

wnshall

Post by wnshall » May 13th, 2014, 8:49 pm

Thanks for this great TR. Sounds like another gem.

HenryG

Post by HenryG » May 15th, 2014, 6:52 am

wnshall wrote:Thanks for this great TR. Sounds like another gem.

If you enjoy driving a little, like solitude, beauty and open country you will find it here. The question occurs to me "So why am i advertising it!!" I Guess I feel there's room to share

Peder

Post by Peder » May 15th, 2014, 8:32 am

HenryG wrote:"If you enjoy driving a little, like solitude, beauty and open country you will find it here. The question occurs to me "So why am i advertising it!!" I Guess I feel there's room to share
The more of us who share these hikes, the more of us there are to protect these beautiful areas.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…