Canyon Creek/Boulder Creek Lakes - Trinity Alps - 5/10-11/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Bosterson

Re: Canyon Creek/Boulder Creek Lakes - Trinity Alps - 5/10-1

Post by Bosterson » May 12th, 2014, 2:34 pm

Cool, Chris. I did basically the same trip in the reverse order back in October 2009 - went out to Canyon Creek Lakes, up to L Lake, then retrieved my pack from the Boulder Creek Lakes junction and went up there for the night. I haven't been back to the Trinities since, but really need to get back down there again. How were the temps, bugs, etc?
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

arundodonax

Post by arundodonax » May 12th, 2014, 4:23 pm

Temps were mid 60s-70s, but I hear today it's back up to 90 in Weaverville. Bugs right now are fine—no snow for the mosquitos to hatch from! I'm sure they're coming shortly, though.

anne37

Post by anne37 » May 12th, 2014, 6:24 pm

You are my favorite poster on PH, mostly because you're not afraid of a gigantic drive to go awesome places. Thanks for reminding me not to be lazy. :lol:

arundodonax

Post by arundodonax » May 12th, 2014, 7:14 pm

anne37 wrote:You are my favorite poster on PH, mostly because you're not afraid of a gigantic drive to go awesome places. Thanks for reminding me not to be lazy. :lol:
I should dispel your favorite poster status a little—I'm in Grants Pass right now, but I'm still trying to post the "worth it" trips that, at least to me, justify the drive from Portland. But even at a 7.5 hour drive from Portland, if you have 3-5 days, this is definitely a worthwhile area to explore—not just the Canyon Creek basin, but other areas of the "White" Trinities as well. (The "Red" and "Green" trinities are more cow country...)

That being said, I am planning three 8-9 hour drives to the Sierras this summer...

The Summitpost page is a great place to start: http://www.summitpost.org/trinity-alps/307625

anne37

Post by anne37 » May 12th, 2014, 8:51 pm

I'd like to do at least one of those myself, probably something in the Palisades or Kearsage Pass area.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » May 13th, 2014, 8:34 am

anne37 wrote:I'd like to do at least one of those myself, probably something in the Palisades or Kearsage Pass area.
Go to the Palisades! That was one of my favorite parts of the JMT.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » May 13th, 2014, 1:25 pm

Nice TR. Last summer I spent a night at the lower Canyon Creek Lake and 2 nights at Caribou Lake. The creek itself is the highlight of the Canyon Creek trip in my mind, a rarity for me when I'm heading up into the mountains. I liked both, but I preferred Caribou Lake. I had wanted to check out the Trinities for years and finally got around to it. Caribou Lake was fairly well swarmed with people but it was the 4th of July weekend when I was there.

The Sierras are awesome. Agree the Palisades area is hard to beat. Also Thousand Island/Garnet/Nydiver lakes area and the lakes just to the south nestled right below the Minarets is incredible. I've barely scratched the surface of the Sierras though, so many trails running through them and such a huge area.

arundodonax

Post by arundodonax » May 13th, 2014, 4:23 pm

anne37 wrote:I'd like to do at least one of those myself, probably something in the Palisades or Kearsage Pass area.
Palisades is a great choice—less busy than the Evolution area. Coming from Bishop pass would be a good option. Kearsarge is neat too, but you get less variation in terrain per mile down that way (albeit with some pretty neat terrain though).

bsuess

Post by bsuess » May 13th, 2014, 7:04 pm

arundodonax wrote:But even at a 7.5 hour drive from Portland, if you have 3-5 days, this is definitely a worthwhile area to explore—not just the Canyon Creek basin, but other areas of the "White" Trinities as well. (The "Red" and "Green" trinities are more cow country...)
If I may chime in here, I would definitely not sell the Red Trinities short as cow country. That is certainly true of the far northeast corner of the wilderness area, namely the Scott Mountains area. That region is still well worth visiting too, but the heart of the Red Trinities, stretching from Red Mountain and Van Matre Meadows north for quite a ways is some of the best scenery in the Trinity Alps. It is also pretty far removed from the summer range too. I have never, ever seen cows in that area. The cows come from the ranches to the north in the Scott Valley. Once you are removed from that area, they have no presence in the Red Trinities' high country. The Four Lakes Loop is one of my all-time favorite trails and gives a good idea what that area offers. The Whites are certainly the zenith but the whole area to the east of the Stuart Fork is awesome.

I would also add that for those who explore the upper, upper most reaches of Canyon Creek's canyon, particularly the branches immediately below Wedding Cake and Thompson Peak, you will find a spectacular area filled with meadows, waterfalls and absolutely no people. It is awesome and utterly forsaken. And while we are talking about the Whites, I'll plug the Grizzly Lake complex. It is one of the few places I have been that rivals the Sierra Nevada punch for punch, but with a unique and spectacular twist all its own. For my money it contends with Mud Creek Canyon and Ash Creek Falls on Mount Shasta, it is the most amazing spot in northernmost California.

markesc

Post by markesc » May 13th, 2014, 8:27 pm

Some highly recommended reading for those looking to checkout this area, written by Wayne Moss, whom basically spent his whole life there:

http://www.amazon.com/Trinity-Alps-Comp ... 1893272125

He has a lot of color photos in there, fishing, mining history, basically every lake, summit, etc. One of my all time fave hiking books, heck, I'd buy it even if I never planned on going there, it's that good. :mrgreen:

Scary about the lack of snow, I suppose that explains why even Mt. Ashland never opened this past year!