Rooster Rock Wagon Road / Wire Trail - March 21, 2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
AFLitt

Rooster Rock Wagon Road / Wire Trail - March 21, 2014

Post by AFLitt » April 21st, 2014, 10:02 am

I was going to post this as a reply to this (Bushwhack below Crown Point 2-27-2014: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... rown+Point), but was having some technical issues, so I decided to start a new thread. For the basics and some good track maps, please visit that post...

Most of this route is the old Rooster Rock Wagon Road / Wire Trail. Probably best known for getting to the old Chanticleer Inn from the rail stop at the old cannery.

Early train travelers could take a shuttle and brave a winding road from the base of the cliff to the inn. Portions of that road still exist. The upper end of it can be accessed only by hikers from the western side of the parking lot. Several vistas are available for those taking the time to walk the existing portion of the road which is passable for eight tenths of a mile from the park.

http://portlandwomensforum.com/history.html

Before the road was paved, a trip to Chanticleer was, to say the least, an adventure. When the dirt road was dry, dust thrown up by the wheels would coat everything in the car. And during the frequent wet periods, the road from Portland through Springdale and Corbett to the inn was often a muddy quagmire. Another way to the inn was to take a train to the depot at Rooster Rock. There travelers could take a motorized shuttle and brave a winding road from the base of the cliff to the inn. Portions of that road still exist. the upper end of it can be accessed only by hikers from the western side of the parking lot. Several vistas are available for those taking the time to walk the existing portion of the road which is passable for eight-tenths of a mile (about halfway down the bluff) from the park.

Ken Manske. A Traveler's Guide to the Historic Columbia River Highway. Gresham, OR: M&A Tour Books. 2003. (Chanticleer 1 - 2)

My son and I were exploring the route about a month after you guys were out there, but didn't have time to explore too many of the side trails. I hope to get a map of the wagon road put together soon, but haven't even had a chance to edit my photos from the day yet.

1927 map of the area:

Here are several from my iPhone/Instagram that I posted on the fly that day...

This first photo is the old homestead, off the wagon road. It looks like it is the Baldwin property on the survey map.

Last edited by AFLitt on April 22nd, 2014, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Recreating The Historic Columbia River Highway:http://www.recreatingthehcrh.org/

forestkeeper

Re: Rooster Rock Wagon Road / Wire Trail - March 21, 2014

Post by forestkeeper » April 22nd, 2014, 12:41 am

Very interesting! How do I get to the beginning of this trail? Would love to check this out very soon.

AFLitt

Post by AFLitt » April 22nd, 2014, 7:09 am

It's the road leading off the NW end of the Portland Women's Forum Viewpoint on the old Columbia River Highway... I hope to get a current map of the road up soon. I believe you said you used to drive down it back in the early 80s on the other thread, forestkeeper.

I should have added to the initial post... The road does appear to be intact all the way down to I-84, though there is a busted open gate at one point, which may be why the quotes above say that only the upper portions were accessible. Also, further down, in wet conditions I've heard that the road can get so muddy that it is difficult to navigate, but we had no problems during a dry few days in March.
Attachments
007 - Rooster Rock Road Trail Head.jpg
Recreating The Historic Columbia River Highway:http://www.recreatingthehcrh.org/

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » April 22nd, 2014, 1:26 pm

I was hoping to start at the bottom so I would have all downhill on the way back. :lol: I'm just curious if we parked at the bottom near the gate, if the Union Pacific guys would get upset.

AFLitt

Post by AFLitt » April 22nd, 2014, 8:02 pm

I know in other areas of the Gorge, you are usually OK as long as there are no "No Parking" signs and as long as you do not block the gates. Here, I have no idea. I'd probably park down at Rooster Rock and walk back. There may even be a trail. That is an area I need to explore more.