Steigerwald Wildlife Refuge 4-2-2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
markesc

Steigerwald Wildlife Refuge 4-2-2014

Post by markesc » April 3rd, 2014, 7:24 pm

Lucked out with a rare day off during the work week!

Met another PHiker (already for got your name!), whom offered some advice on camera settings, which as photographers, we're ALWAYS learning!!

Steigerwald is just a minute or two east of Camas, and an enjoyable change of pace from Ridgefield..

Anyways, enjoy!
QM6A2762b.jpg
QM6A2855b.jpg
QM6A2877b.jpg
QM6A2880b.jpg
QM6A2899b.jpg
QM6A3079.jpg
QM6A3142b.jpg
QM6A3173b.jpg
QM6A3247b.jpg
QM6A3510c.jpg
QM6A3539b.jpg
QM6A3542b.jpg

Helen

Re: Steigerwald Wildlife Refuge 4-2-2014

Post by Helen » April 3rd, 2014, 8:01 pm

Wow, you scored some great shots! I especially love the blue heron photo. Thanks for sharing.

n.bumppo

Post by n.bumppo » April 3rd, 2014, 8:35 pm

markesc wrote:Lucked out with a rare day off during the work week!

Met another PHiker (already for got your name!), whom offered some advice on camera settings, which as photographers, we're ALWAYS learning!!
That was me you met. I really enjoyed the afternoon taking pictures with you. I posted some of my pictures at the bottom of this page http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... 5&start=50.
Dave

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » April 4th, 2014, 1:02 am

markesc wrote: Steigerwald is just a minute or two east of Camas, and an enjoyable change of pace from Ridgefield..
I just want to say that just east of Camas is Washougal. It's a nice little town, with some of the problems that towns on the fringe of a suburban area experience with identity and culture. The thing I like best about living in Washougal is that I am as close to Vancouver and Portland as I want to be, and close to the Gorge and the wilder places I want to be. It's a lot like America, but different. :lol:
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » April 4th, 2014, 5:47 am

I haven't visited here. I have to put that on my must see list.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

BigBear

Post by BigBear » April 4th, 2014, 8:45 am

Excellent pictures.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 4th, 2014, 8:28 pm

Great shots, and nice variety of creatures.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

raftingdog

Post by raftingdog » April 4th, 2014, 8:44 pm

Steigerwald...is that huge wildlife preserve with no entry? Local complain that no spraying happens to control mosquitos ....was driving on W14 when deer from there had close call with my car....beautiful that such place is reserved in Columbia Gorge...

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » April 4th, 2014, 10:51 pm

LovE the turtles

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » April 4th, 2014, 11:54 pm

raftingdog wrote:Steigerwald...is that huge wildlife preserve with no entry? Local complain that no spraying happens to control mosquitos ....was driving on W14 when deer from there had close call with my car....beautiful that such place is reserved in Columbia Gorge...
Steigerwald has a parking lot, pit toilets, an interpretive trail, and occasional ranger walks. Entry is allowed, the trail is handicapped accessible, but no dogs, bicycles, or jogging, and all must stay on the trail.

Steigerwald is not the source of the Washougal mosquito scourge. There are tons of other bodies of water, artificial and natural, and wetlands all over the area that are mostly on private land, and they aren't being sprayed or otherwise treated to prevent mosquitoes either. Steigerwald has wildlife that seems to deal with the mosquitos OK, the other areas that are good homes for raising the little bloodsuckers have very little to nothing that want to eat the little larvae. We used to put feeder goldfish in our seasonal pond until we found out we were just providing fresh fish to ducks and the occasional heron. Not a bad thing, but not what we were aiming for. The deer range from the rural home properties on the hills above and to the east onto the refuge, but deer don't like wet wetlands much, especially when there is plenty of good habitat in the wooded hillsides away from the refuge that can provide food, water, and places to hide from predators while bedded down.

How do I think I know all of this? Why, actually looking into it and observing the wildlife around here. Where I live now borders the refuge property up the hill from the highway. The deer, rarely seen cougar, and abundant coyotes don't want to sleep where its constantly wet, so they don't. They all need water, but they don't need to be in it. There is a seasonal pond where I live now, and after it dries up, hardly any animals come by to visit in the daylight, and fewer than usual come through at night. But, a neighbor up the street with a year round pond has all kinds of visitors, and when I asked if they treat their pond for mosquitoes, he said that no one does, so why should he? He doesn't want to risk harming the other wildlife, and I don't blame them.

Mosquitoes are a heck of a nuisance sometimes, but are easily repelled. For the deer on the road, well, gotta keep them peepers peeled and don't drive any faster than you can stop. It's a beautiful area I live in, and probably have to leave soon, but I have had to adjust to living here in harmony with that which was here before I was, not the other way around. Trying to make everything conform to my desires was kicking my ass. Living within the cycles and nature out here is much better than going against them.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"