Wahtum Lake overnight 3.22-23.14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
turtle

Wahtum Lake overnight 3.22-23.14

Post by turtle » March 24th, 2014, 5:22 pm

I started from Herman Creek TH at 7 am; I was the third car in the lot. By the time I got back to the car about 7:30 pm on Sunday I was the last car in the lot. I'm sure there were a few zillion cars in between I didn't have to deal with.

I went up the PCT to Benson Plateau not seeing anyone but a solitary trail runner named Jay-Bob all day. Nice guy, we had a couple of good conversations. He did almost as many miles to Chinidere and back in one day that I did in two days. I stopped for lunch at the Benson Spur trail junction. Since it was the first overnight of the year I was moving slow with the 28 lb. pack and lack of conditioning. I don't think old age has any thing to do with the lack of trail velocity ;) .

Hiked on over the plateau; the steep side-hill just after the plateau got my attention. The amazing views from the avalanche chute took my breath away. Just beautiful spring weather all week-end. I'm so glad I didn't just sit on my ass at home and let this opportunity pass me by.

By the time I got in the area of Chinidere I was a bit behind schedule. I tried to follow the PCT around the lake but lost the trail in the snow. Then I made a big mistake by deciding to go cross-country down the slope, cross the stream, and catch the trail on the other side. The slope got so steep that I couldn't really go back so I ended up in a potentially bad situation. Way off trail, getting late, and lost the chance to back-track. I broke a couple of my own solo hiking safety rules. I managed to get through by studying the topo map and finding a shallower slope to deal with but I ended up getting to camp by a little after 7 pm, tired and hopefully a little smarter.

I found a site by the outlet stream and stomped a platform in the snow. I found that the trick of turning the tent stake sideways and burying it in the snow works well with regular stakes not just snow stakes. My home-made dehydrated beans and rice was extra delicious if a bit late.

I was up sort of early in the morning around 8 am, on trail a bit before nine. Deep snow right around the lake made for slow travel; post-holing all the way. I found the stairs and went up-slope to the road intersection and promptly took off down the wrong road. Discovered my mistake after finding a great view of Mt. Hood and back-tracked to the intersection. I went up the Anthill trail until the steepness of the side-slope turned me back and found the old road bed known as the Rainy Wahtum trail. This parallels Anthill lower on the hill. I enjoyed the peek-a-boo views of the lake through the trees as I slogged along the road bed; easy to follow in the snow but kind of deep and slow traveling.

After a trail-side lunch I finally got to Anthill trail part 2 and turned North toward the intersection with the Herman Creek trail. My original plan had been to hike the Rainy Wahtum trail to the Rainy campground and hike over Greepoint back to the trail-head. Lack of time and tired of snow trudging changed my mind. After promptly losing the trail in the snow I floundered about for awhile before I just got a relative bearing off the GPS and transferred that to the compass and land-marked from tree to tree. Duh :oops: . Then I followed the Herman Creek trail through more steep side-slopes down to Noble Camp and on to the trail head with a thoroughly kicked butt and big smile on my face. My best guess on mileage is 30 or so hard for me miles over two days. That includes back-tracks and floundering.

Quick snow report to end my long winded yammering and then pictures. Real snow over a few crunchy inches didn't actually start until Benson Plateau. The basin around Chinidere and Wahtum Lake about 3 feet or more depending on the specific area. Snow-shoes would have been helpful but ultimately not worth the 4 lb. weight penalty to me. Day-hikers may disagree. Traction devices and poles highly recommended. Snow continued below the Mud Lake turn-off but was clear before Noble camp.
P1010859 [1600x1200].JPG
P1010864 [1600x1200].JPG
P1010868 [1600x1200].JPG
Lunch at the north end of Benson.
P1010870 [1600x1200].JPG
P1010874 [1600x1200].JPG
P1010875 [1600x1200].JPG
P1010876 [1600x1200].JPG
If you know how tall this sign is that is the snow depth by the lake shore. ( :
P1010879 [1600x1200].JPG
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

Eric Peterson

Re: Wahtum Lake overnight 3.22-23.14

Post by Eric Peterson » March 24th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Wow, trail running up to Chinidere this early!?!?

Thanks for the snow report - I guess if a beast trail runner can do it then a saggy old washed up
loony has been(me) can get up in there too! :P

RobinB

Post by RobinB » March 24th, 2014, 11:06 pm

Thanks for the trip report! Were you breaking trail on the Benson Plateau? I was up there today, and there were only maybe two tracks on the PCT.

turtle

Post by turtle » March 25th, 2014, 4:56 am

Eric,
I haven't been that active this year myself. OBTW what ever happened to Mayhem?

Robin,
Jay-Bob and myself broke most of the trail. There were a couple of other track that I think came over from the Ruckel side, not sure about that.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » March 25th, 2014, 5:00 am

Turtle, the saggy old washed up has been is me, I'd never bamm someone other than myself publicly like that on such a nice family oriented site like PH :D

As for whoever that was you were asking about... don't know and don't give a #$%@ either! Bamm!!! :lol:

drm

Post by drm » March 25th, 2014, 7:08 am

Sounds like you had a bit of adventure. Like you said, pack the pack and see what happens.

And finding the Herman Creek trail north-bound when that flat, wide ridgetop is snow covered is quite the challenge. I've done that before, when there was a lot less snow than you had, and it isn't easy. Congrats on the tricky route-finding.

miah66

Post by miah66 » March 25th, 2014, 9:34 am

Looks like you dropped off Waucoma Ridge between Mud Lake and Noble Camp? That's pretty freaking steep terrain! Or did you find a way down between Wahtum and Mud Lake? That was a pretty optimistic trip for only two days with snow still up there. Good job, glad you made it back safely.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

turtle

Post by turtle » March 30th, 2014, 8:34 am

Sorry I took so long to reply, I got distracted by work-stuff.

EP,
I caught the reference to yourself, I don't feel bammed at all. As for HeWhoShallNotBeMentioned I won't mention him again :lol: . Well, after this.

miah66,
I followed the Herman Creek trail off the ridge. That would put me above the Mud Lake turn-off. It was steep but I had a set of prints to follow and my back-up plan was to try to find a way down the slope above Mud Lake.

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » March 30th, 2014, 2:54 pm

turtle, great TR. I love that area. and it was good to meet you on on Meneil point last year. and for whatever it's worth, I miss the bamm :(

Surridge

Post by Surridge » April 5th, 2014, 9:45 am

Sounds like an epic trip. Should be snow free by the end of the month. Good early season backpack with eagle creek finishing the loop...