Olympic National Park, 04/01/09 - 04/04/09

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
AlexanderSupertramp

Olympic National Park, 04/01/09 - 04/04/09

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » April 5th, 2009, 10:51 am

Spring break has become an annual daddy/daughter romp around the Pac Northwest lately. This year, Thea and I decided to take the 101 loop around the Olympic National park. We stayed in Long Beach, Forks, and Port Townsend; sticking in what little hikes we could considering that the dog was along for the trip. We had no real game plan as far as activities went. Much would depend on weather, Thea's willingness, and trail availability for the dog. Which in the national park proper, is a no go.

The first stop was Long Beach, conveniently located next to Fort Canby State Park. Here we got to check out some nice trails around Cape Disappointment and the North Head Lighthouse. Today was rainy.

Thursday was spent mostly mastering the art of setting and re-setting the interval timing on the windshield wiper on the way to forks. Downpour, mist, sprinkle, mist, no rain, partial rain, partial mist/rain/downpour/sunbreak. Through all of this, the drive was amazingly beautiful however. There were stops along the way to stretch legs and take photos. I also made the very happy discovery that the first actual rain forest that we came to, the Quinault, allows leashed dogs on trail. This made me ecstatic! I could now actually hike through a legitimate rainforest and not worry about what to do with the dog. To throw a pleasant ironic twist into the mix, it finally stopped raining as we began hiking through the rain forest :D. Glory be.

Having survived the evening in Forks without any sort of vampire related incident, we started making our way towards Port Townsend. There was now a break in the weather that produced some very dramatic scenery for the drive. I couldn't believe the way the mountains seemed to launch almost straight up out of nowhere! We took an amazing drive around Lake Crescent and stopped to see Marymere Falls, a gorgeous little hike.

Saturday morning in Port Townsend was epic. Not a cloud in the sky, birds chirping, and waves caressing the shore. We stayed right on the main street in town (Waters) with a fantastic view of all goings on. I had never been to, or heard much about this place, but Port Townsend is well worth the drive for anybody that enjoys small waterfront Victorian style towns with great food and art......I digress. After embracing the morning with a stroll on the beach, we packed up and made for home. Our final taste of the Olympics brought more scenery along the Hood Canal until finally the 101 drops you back onto the 5 and you instantly realize that your vacation has unceremoniously come to an end. At least the morning drive was peaceful :).

Last edited by AlexanderSupertramp on April 5th, 2009, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anna in boots

Re: Olympic National Park, 04/01/09 - 04/04/09

Post by anna in boots » April 5th, 2009, 11:37 am

Neato, Adam! Love that mountain shot with the water. Reminds me of Glacier. How long of a drive to get up there?

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

MarkInTheDark

Post by MarkInTheDark » April 5th, 2009, 12:49 pm

Great photos, they look like something from National Geographic!!

MeatDiaper

Post by MeatDiaper » April 5th, 2009, 1:15 pm

The picture with the mountains and water is a great shot... stunning. I've only been to Port Townsend once but it was definately a cool place. Nice report.
As men have done, man can do.

Arielamandah

Post by Arielamandah » April 5th, 2009, 6:08 pm

Love your Lake Crescent shot! Been missing this part of the world a lot lately--the Olympic Peninsula is what I grew up hiking. :)

Isn't Port Townsend lovely? We were just up there in January scoping out some wedding venues. Hope you had the opportunity to enjoy some of the awesome restaurants up there, too!

And finally, love your shots across the canal! I grew up 5 min from Hood Canal, east shore (Seabeck/Belfair area). Makes me happy/lonely for home! Looks like you guys has a lot of fun!

Paul

Post by Paul » April 5th, 2009, 6:47 pm

I think it's so great you and your daughter go hiking every Spring Break. Great photos, too!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » April 5th, 2009, 8:10 pm

anna in boots wrote:Neato, Adam! Love that mountain shot with the water. Reminds me of Glacier. How long of a drive to get up there?

anna in boots

Hey Anna thanks! Well the trip time is kind of tricky. Thea and I took the very slow route. Coming from east Vancouver, going to Astoria and then running up the 101 and looping back down to the 5. Part of this was my quest to complete the 101 from bottom to top. Also, we were in no hurry :D. The driving time that way was about 11 hours from start to finish, averaging about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs a day. Though if you involve the 5 in the equation.....We got from Port Townsend back down to Vancouver in about 3 1/2 hrs with stops. You could get to the Quinault rain forest at the bottom of the park in about the same time.

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » April 5th, 2009, 8:12 pm

Arielamandah wrote:Love your Lake Crescent shot! Been missing this part of the world a lot lately--the Olympic Peninsula is what I grew up hiking. :)

Isn't Port Townsend lovely? We were just up there in January scoping out some wedding venues. Hope you had the opportunity to enjoy some of the awesome restaurants up there, too!

And finally, love your shots across the canal! I grew up 5 min from Hood Canal, east shore (Seabeck/Belfair area). Makes me happy/lonely for home! Looks like you guys has a lot of fun!

Thanks to everybody for the very kind words.....Arielamandah, it must have been really tough growing up in those parts :lol:

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » April 5th, 2009, 8:13 pm

Paul wrote:I think it's so great you and your daughter go hiking every Spring Break. Great photos, too!
Thanks Paul! It's nice to hear, and even nicer that she looks forward to these excursions nowadays. Though you probably couldn't tell by that first pic :P.