Cottonwood Canyon - March 8, 2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mattisnotfrench

Cottonwood Canyon - March 8, 2014

Post by mattisnotfrench » March 13th, 2014, 10:13 pm

Even though it's a bit late I thought some people would appreciate more intel on the new state park on the John Day River, named Cottonwood Canyon State Park. In short: it's wonderful! It's very similar to the Deschutes River Trail but it feels a bit wilder, and it's certainly far more remote. It's a long drive from Portland to the park (about 2 hours and 15 minutes from my house in inner SE) but once you get there you really feel like you've gone somewhere.

If you want more information, here's the link to the State Park page: http://www.oregonstateparks.org/index.c ... parkId=195

Here's the hiker map on the signboard at the trailhead:
Cottonwood Canyon 001ph.JPG
We got a fairly early start despite the long drive. We decided to follow the the Pinnacles Trail on the left bank, which is hiker-only as best I can tell. It's an old Jeep road and it barely changes elevation in 5 miles. Most of my photos are of the road.
Cottonwood Canyon 004ph.JPG
The sun never really came out all day despite promises of beautiful weather, but we didn't really mind that much. It never poured on us the way it did elsewhere further west.

Sagebrush is extremely common on this hike, as you might imagine.
Cottonwood Canyon 010ph.JPG
There was a sand dune of sorts too - it reminded me of that thread here a couple years ago about the supposed sand dune near the mouth of the Deschutes that nobody ever really found:
Cottonwood Canyon 015ph.JPG
After about 5 miles the trail more or less ends below a cliff above the river. We had lunch here as it started to sprinkle on us. I supposed you could continue downstream from here but I'll just wait until they finish whatever trail construction is planned.
Cottonwood Canyon 021ph.JPG
We hiked back down the trail (but upstream) much faster, but the hike was so easy we barely broke a sweat. The photo conditions were a little better on the way back:
Cottonwood Canyon 041ph.JPG
Cottonwood Canyon 046ph.JPG
Cottonwood Canyon 048ph.JPG
Cottonwood Canyon 053ph.JPG
Cottonwood Canyon 058ph.JPG
All in all it was an outstanding day, capped off by pizza and beer at Double Mountain - the best way to end any hike in the Gorge and nearby area. Even though the hike was fairly easy (exactly 10 miles out and back, but less than 400 feet of cumulative elevation gain) we still devoured our pizza. I got to say it was a good day!

Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

kelkev

Re: Cottonwood Canyon - March 8, 2014

Post by kelkev » March 14th, 2014, 6:12 am

Looks great, Matt! It's on my list to visit in the near future. Thanks for sharing!
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » March 14th, 2014, 11:35 am

Great! I'll be heading out there soon.

4DMTNS

Post by 4DMTNS » March 14th, 2014, 3:19 pm

How were the ticks?
I'm almost always the sweep on my hikes ... it gives me an opportunity to taste test all the edible berries I seem to find.

Where's Chris?
Instagram WhereIsChrisNow

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » March 14th, 2014, 4:24 pm

4DMTNS wrote:How were the ticks?
We found none but I'm sure they were around there, waiting for us somewhere.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

mtnhiker56

Post by mtnhiker56 » March 14th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Regarding the sand dune topic..there used to be a sand dune that covered a lane of I-84 every year about 4 miles east of The Dalles, but the state hauled a lot of the sand away and planted native vegetation to cover the dune. You can still see part of the dune there now. The work was done back in the mid-80's.

miah66

Post by miah66 » March 17th, 2014, 1:35 pm

Double Mountain always caps a satisfying day. :mrgreen:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Rubicon03

Post by Rubicon03 » March 17th, 2014, 8:14 pm

My parents are camp hosts there at the state park. Can't wait to get out there for some hiking.

dspangler

Post by dspangler » January 4th, 2015, 4:46 pm

I'm the Park Ranger out at Cottonwood and we are in the process of developing our trail system. It's great to see so many people are finding us and enjoying themselves.

Please feel free to ask any questions about Cottonwood.

Thanks