Looking at old stuff near Chanticleer Point - 2/22/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Rustygoat

Re: Looking at old stuff near Chanticleer Point - 2/22/14

Post by Rustygoat » February 24th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Another neat place in the gorge that I didn't know about. Thank you for sharing Cheryl :)
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

wsevert

Post by wsevert » February 27th, 2014, 7:00 am

Oh man, I want to go there! I love relic hunting and I've stopped at the Women's Forum several times for a break when bicycling from Portland to Multnomah Falls but never noticed the old road. Great pictures and trip report!

Severt

Davey

Post by Davey » February 27th, 2014, 2:05 pm

Your hike brought back many old memories...there were two small cabins, one mainly a sleeping cabin, the other with two bedrooms, living and kitchen, heated by woodstove, lit by oil lamp with gas stove and refrigerator. Two friends came upon the cabin while exploring in their '49 Mercury, got into conversation with the occupants and eventually moved into the cabin in 1968. If I remember, the parcel of land was about 40 acres, owned by Roger Eddy. Over the next 15 years or so, the place was occupied by a sequence of Reed College students and friends, including Daniel Mathews, author of a naturalists guide to the Cascades and Olympics. It was a delightful, lush and isolated homestead. In the fall, an apple press would be borrowed from neighbors and visitors would fan out into the old orchard to gather fruit. I don't remember which year, but during bitter weather, with freezing rain falling, the old cedar-lined sauna caught fire and the family living in the cabin were forced to flee from their beds. Their car was engulfed by the inferno and they had to walk to shelter with neighbors on the Larch Mountain Road.
The cabin was a total loss. It was not long after this that the state took over the property. Many people were fortunate enough to spend time in this place. It would be wonderful to know about the earlier history of the homestead.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » February 27th, 2014, 4:56 pm

yes, my friends that lived there were Reed students and I remember the cider pressings. A very enchanted place.
Woodswalker

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » February 27th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Mark Nelsen, KPTV's meteorologist, posted on his blog last month about walking down the old road from Chanticleer Point and then bushwhacking UP to Crown Point!

http://fox12weather.wordpress.com/2014/ ... no-reward/
There is only one gap between the cliffs where you can climb straight up towards Vista House. I went through there and that’s where it gets real steep. Halfway to the top you suddenly come across a “debris field” of junk that has either blown down or slid down the hill. The surprise was that I found almost nothing of value; a few interesting things though. A picnic table, a license plate from the late 1980s, someone’s prescription for some interesting medications, and two pickup canopy covers. Those last two had been there awhile and were not from the past week; not sure where those go. I never saw a single hat or pair of sunglasses. And, it’s totally calm until the last few feet, then you get blasted as you come up into the parking area. Once again, a fun little adventure but I wouldn’t do it again.