Wahkeena - Primrose - Devils Rest hiked on 2.22.14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
wsevert

Re: Wahkeena - Primrose - Devils Rest hiked on 2.22.14

Post by wsevert » February 25th, 2014, 11:36 am

Eric Peterson wrote:Primrose Path terminates/originates behind Devils Rest where the gnomes live
When I tell people there is a lady up there with 4 faces, 2 that are upside down and 1 that is missing they usually choose not to go on the hike with me. Is she still there?
4 faced lady.jpg
Great pics!
Severt

airoff

Post by airoff » February 25th, 2014, 12:46 pm

Severt!

I'd seen that head looking thing up in a tree at Devils Rest the past few years but noticed it was no longer there this past weekend.

Now I know who the culprit is!

:D

wsevert

Post by wsevert » February 25th, 2014, 2:03 pm

airoff wrote:Severt!

I'd seen that head looking thing up in a tree at Devils Rest the past few years but noticed it was no longer there this past weekend.

Now I know who the culprit is!

:D
I kind of suspect it had more to do with her wanting to hang with the gnomes there. I have a tendency to mind my own business in such affairs!

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » February 25th, 2014, 6:38 pm

It was there with the gnomes, got a picture of it but ended up blurry so I trashed it before doing this TR...

Lekilei253

Post by Lekilei253 » February 25th, 2014, 11:27 pm

I was up there Friday! I too went to Necktie Falls, found the gnomes, and the viewpoint but missed the sign for the Primrose trail. It was my first time up there, no great view at the top, but still worth it!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 9th, 2014, 7:37 pm

sprengers4jc wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote:
Ron Goodwin wrote:After the '91 fire the Primrose was basically destroyed with fallen trees so we left it alone and connected the Foxglove from the old road to the Angels Rest trail. A fellow used to before '91 plant primroses at the base of the trail (off the Angels Rest - Wahkeena trail every year). He passed on and now there is just a small flat spot where he did it. It is a short scramble to Devils Rest but not the best way to go. All the old logging roads were decommissioned by the FS after the fire and now they are "unmaintained" by the FS trails.
Ron, that reminds me: I first heard of the Primrose Path from an article about it I read in the Oregonian in the 80's. When I first hiked the trail, there were a few primroses at the lower junction just as the story described. If someone knows how to look that article up it should make interesting reading.

dn
I found this and not sure if it's the article you mention but it is from the Oregonian in the 80s and mentions the primroses that Basil Clark planted. And I think we owe it's existence on the web to our very own SplinterCat! :D http://www.splintercat.org/BasilClark/BasilClark.html

I also found this pretty neat little archive of very old Oregonian Sunday editions. It is worth perusing to see what was going on in this area way back when. http://oregonnews.uoregon.edu/lccn/sn83 ... rst_pages/
thanks for posting the article - I think that is the one I read that got me up there for the first time.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 9th, 2014, 7:38 pm

wsevert wrote:
Eric Peterson wrote:Primrose Path terminates/originates behind Devils Rest where the gnomes live
When I tell people there is a lady up there with 4 faces, 2 that are upside down and 1 that is missing they usually choose not to go on the hike with me. Is she still there?
4 faced lady.jpg
Great pics!
Severt
Hey Severt,

Jeff (aircooled) and I were up there today and that scary ceramic lady-thing is still there. Spooky!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller