Angels-larch-bell cr-oneonta-franklin and back

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
joerunner

Re: Angels-larch-bell cr-oneonta-franklin and back

Post by joerunner » June 30th, 2008, 2:12 pm

anna in boots wrote:Okay, I'm only ever hiking with joerunner if he has the flu and I have a rocket pack.

anna in boots
rocket pack sold separately

:lol: I hate to say this but my partner that day slowed us down by about an hour with some heat problems. I have had a real good string of training lately which is making these all day jaunts kind of fun.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 30th, 2008, 4:20 pm

Joe,

The route to the lookout on Larch can be done easily by going up over the sub-peak to the left of the trail and then dropping back down to the trail. It avoids that side slope entirely. This year is exceptionally bad.

Nice work and great report on your adventure, too. (BTW, the link to your track doesn't work) The Bell Creek trail is one of my favorites - I think it's one of the best old-growth areas in the entire gorge. I've tracked it with my GPS a couple of times prior to the advent of the new technology units and wondered if it was my GPS that was off or was the trail that far off on the maps. Last summer I did a big figure 8 loop and tracked it again with my 60Cxs - yep, the maps are WAY off - the GPS doesnt lie. Here's the track:
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

joerunner

Post by joerunner » June 30th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Maybe this file attachment will work. My track of Bell Creek and the bottom part of Horsetail looks just like yours.
Attachments
angels to bell jpg.JPG

jaimito

Post by jaimito » June 30th, 2008, 9:16 pm

Man I feel like a wus with my measily 10.23 miles with Don on Sunday… Can't imagine triple that in the heat we had on Sunday… Good work, truly makes the rest of us want to go bigger.

Cheers / Jamie