2013: Back on the Trail, Again!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Eric Peterson

Re: 2013: Back on the Trail, Again!

Post by Eric Peterson » January 10th, 2014, 8:05 am

I'm dream hiking from my couch right now! :D

Roy

Post by Roy » January 10th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Very nice Karl glad your back on the trail again.That is quite a year were you that much into it to it the first time around? Or just a new midlife addiction :lol: Just curious after reading many of your trs have not heard much about your previous years. Ignore me if I am to nosy ;)
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Crusak

Post by Crusak » January 10th, 2014, 7:07 pm

kepPNW wrote:
Crusak wrote:The Goat Rocks loop hike last year was pretty spectacular! We lucked out and hit it right at the perfect time.
I think we did nine, together! Absolutely excellent run of adventures there. I'd probably put the TFJ loop, right behind Goat Rocks. That was just butt-kicking in about every possible way, which really makes the memories that last, eh? We talked about some more exploring down around Jefferson! And who knows where else we'll come up with? Definitely looking forward to that. :)
Even though I suffered mightily on the first half of that TFJ loop (mostly due to temps in the 90° range and my poor choice of attire) I did thoroughly enjoy that hike. Seemed to be such a long day! Great finish there, getting to the truck right at sunset. Oh, same for MSH/Mt Margaret too! :lol:

Hitting the PCT/Hunts Cove loop around Pamelia Lake, and/or Jefferson Park would be fun this year.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 10th, 2014, 8:42 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:I'm dream hiking from my couch right now! :D
That's one way to stay dry! ;)
Roy wrote:Very nice Karl glad your back on the trail again.That is quite a year were you that much into it to it the first time around? Or just a new midlife addiction :lol: Just curious after reading many of your trs have not heard much about your previous years. Ignore me if I am to nosy ;)
No, that's cool. I guess I detailed that more in last year's recap. Short story is: loved hiking/camping when young, kids brought on "responsibility," kids moved out, back on the trail again! :D
Crusak wrote:Even though I suffered mightily on the first half of that TFJ loop (mostly due to temps in the 90° range and my poor choice of attire) I did thoroughly enjoy that hike. Seemed to be such a long day! Great finish there, getting to the truck right at sunset. Oh, same for MSH/Mt Margaret too! :lol:
TFJ was brutal, but beautiful, yep! That Mt Margaret traverse was pretty perfect, too. I think I've got the trick of arriving back at the TH just after sunset down to an art! Hate to waste any daylight in places like that. :)
Crusak wrote:Hitting the PCT/Hunts Cove loop around Pamelia Lake, and/or Jefferson Park would be fun this year.
Let's make sure we do one, or preferably both, of those, yeah!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » January 12th, 2014, 4:40 pm

Truly impressive, Karl. This thread is a great way for you to easily look at your hikes in 2013. How long did it take you to compile them like this? I sure had a great time with you and Peder on St. Helens back in February. Can't believe that was almost a year ago. Hopefully we'll hike again this year.

You made a TR for every hike last year? That type of motivation is enviable. I,too, got out about the same frequency (1-2 times a week and 55-60 trips) as you yet only made a fraction of the TRs. Well, whenever I hiked with Bosterson he always whipped up the report! Although I rarely (if ever) commented on them, I read nearly every one of your TRs and always enjoyed them. Thanks for being such an active presence on here.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 12th, 2014, 7:24 pm

acorn woodpecker wrote:Truly impressive, Karl. This thread is a great way for you to easily look at your hikes in 2013. How long did it take you to compile them like this? I sure had a great time with you and Peder on St. Helens back in February. Can't believe that was almost a year ago. Hopefully we'll hike again this year.
Getting up MSH was something I'd wanted to do for so long; that was really a great day! And, of course, with great company! We should certainly try to do something more again this year. :)

I guess this summary post took more time than many, but it wasn't too terrible. Most of the stats I stole right off WentHiking. So it was just bouncing between tabs and cutting and pasting. Harder was picking which photo to use for each. I suppose between a minute and two per hike, total? Maybe a bit more if finding a TR was troublesome. Worth it to have a list like that, to look back on, though.
acorn woodpecker wrote:You made a TR for every hike last year? That type of motivation is enviable. I,too, got out about the same frequency (1-2 times a week and 55-60 trips) as you yet only made a fraction of the TRs. Well, whenever I hiked with Bosterson he always whipped up the report! Although I rarely (if ever) commented on them, I read nearly every one of your TRs and always enjoyed them. Thanks for being such an active presence on here.
Oh man, no! I think I did do many of them, but there were a number without any TR at all, and others where I managed to avoid the tag and someone else did the TR. That's another great aspect of putting them all in one post. I can easily search for the ones I did, but finding those written by others is a lot more work.

Thanks! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...