2013: Back on the Trail, Again!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Re: 2013: Back on the Trail, Again!

Post by VanMarmot » January 8th, 2014, 10:15 am

potato wrote:45 hikes and not a single one with me, what the hell Karl? :)
Glad you were able to get out for such a fantastic year of hiking.
Potato - Don't feel bad - I had to hike all the way up Silver Star to just meet Karl! Maybe you could call for an hiking appointment?

Karl - Great photo summary of 2013! You had a disproportionate number of truly amazing & scenic hikes! Hope your 2014 is as good or better!

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » January 8th, 2014, 10:58 am

My wife and I have been lurkers on PHF, I guess, for the past couple of years so this is my first post. We have followed your adventures, Karl, and used them to inspire many of our own. We were the two that you and Crusak met below Coyote Wall on that beautiful day back in April when we were all wandering all the hell over the place looking for something that resembled a real trail :) . I just wanted to say that we really enjoyed seeing your recap of your hiking adventures this past year and look forward to seeing new ones in 2014 as well.

--Keri
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

jdemott

Post by jdemott » January 8th, 2014, 11:22 am

What an inspirational post! A great recap of what must have been a great year. I've hugely enjoyed all your trip reports through the year, along with all the beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.

aquadoggie

Post by aquadoggie » January 8th, 2014, 11:53 am

Looks like you were averaging (aside from the 2 month break) about a hike per weekend, the entire year. This is why this site and your beautiful state makes me jealous. Hopefully I can get close to hiking this often within the next couple of years. For now, I'll just watch from the sidelines in envy. Congrats on a great year!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 8th, 2014, 4:05 pm

BigBear wrote:What a great way of remembering the year - one pic for each trip. You had some great shots in that collection.
Thanks, BigBear! I didn't mention it this year, but I really only started back hiking again last year, and really found it fun to both put it together then, and to revisit it when I needed a quick link to a TR, or whatever. This year, that should really be even moreso, because a larger chunk (not large enough yet! ;)) of them were written by others and I only tagged along.
potato wrote:45 hikes and not a single one with me, what the hell Karl? :)
Glad you were able to get out for such a fantastic year of hiking.
We gotta fix that, Joe! :)
VanMarmot wrote:Potato - Don't feel bad - I had to hike all the way up Silver Star to just meet Karl! Maybe you could call for an hiking appointment?

Karl - Great photo summary of 2013! You had a disproportionate number of truly amazing & scenic hikes! Hope your 2014 is as good or better!
Running into you on SS was a real treat, Bruce! The series of spy-v-spy photos in that TR was about as whacky as they come. :D Hard to have a bad hike around here, huh? Especially with this crew!
sprengers4jc wrote:My wife and I have been lurkers on PHF, I guess, for the past couple of years so this is my first post. We have followed your adventures, Karl, and used them to inspire many of our own. We were the two that you and Crusak met below Coyote Wall on that beautiful day back in April when we were all wandering all the hell over the place looking for something that resembled a real trail :) . I just wanted to say that we really enjoyed seeing your recap of your hiking adventures this past year and look forward to seeing new ones in 2014 as well.
I remember you two, Keri! Fun to have met you out there, and so glad to see you finally de-lurked. It's easy to forget how many people read this place, as opposed to the vastly smaller number of folks who regularly post here. The more of the latter, the merrier! It just amplifies the information so greatly to the broader community. Really look forward to reading more about your adventures, and they do sound like adventures! It's so cool that you two aren't letting adversity get in the way any more than it has to. :)
jdemott wrote:What an inspirational post! A great recap of what must have been a great year. I've hugely enjoyed all your trip reports through the year, along with all the beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, John! Truly, it's been my pleasure! :)
aquadoggie wrote:Looks like you were averaging (aside from the 2 month break) about a hike per weekend, the entire year. This is why this site and your beautiful state makes me jealous. Hopefully I can get close to hiking this often within the next couple of years. For now, I'll just watch from the sidelines in envy. Congrats on a great year!
Yep, I start going stir-crazy if I don't get out (at least) once a week. It's recognized at home, too -- when I'm told to "go take a hike, already!", believe me, I do! :) Good luck getting out more, too. Can't think of many better ways to spend time.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

RobinB

Post by RobinB » January 8th, 2014, 10:01 pm

I lurk here a lot more than I post, but it's been such an incredible joy reading all your trip reports this year! I think my wife and I ran into you guys on the Lily Basin trail around all the waterfalls - you were stopped eating an apple or something, and your excitement was infectious.

Buddy

Post by Buddy » January 8th, 2014, 10:15 pm

RobinB wrote:you were stopped eating an apple or something, and your excitement was infectious.
It could only be Karl or me: If it was a rock, it would be me; only Karl does apples! :roll:
TFF and a wagging tail is what life is about. Underwater rocks are found in Heaven.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 8th, 2014, 10:51 pm

RobinB wrote:I lurk here a lot more than I post, but it's been such an incredible joy reading all your trip reports this year! I think my wife and I ran into you guys on the Lily Basin trail around all the waterfalls - you were stopped eating an apple or something, and your excitement was infectious.
Wow! This thread as become incredibly humbling. :)

Just reading your response, though, yeah, it brings that one back vividly. I was positively overwhelmed at what was all around me that day! Jim and I hit that loop at the peak of perfection. It may vie for #2 or #3 all year. Certainly in the top five!

I'm told that I am occasionally "a little enthusiastic." Damn, it's hard to stop smiling as I write this! :D Thank you for that.
Buddy wrote:
RobinB wrote:you were stopped eating an apple or something, and your excitement was infectious.
It could only be Karl or me: If it was a rock, it would be me; only Karl does apples! :roll:
Down, Buddy! That's mine! Here, *splash*, yours is in the river! :roll: :lol:
    Mmmmmmmm... A rock!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 9th, 2014, 6:10 am

That trail is pretty nice, I see why Karl is smiling all the time :)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » January 9th, 2014, 6:14 am

The Goat Rocks loop hike last year was pretty spectacular! We lucked out and hit it right at the perfect time.

Nice recap of your year in hiking, Karl. It was a pleasure to do so many hikes with you. I'm looking forward to getting out for plenty more this year. ;)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando