Christmas 2013 in Trapper Creek Wilderness

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxflowergirl

Christmas 2013 in Trapper Creek Wilderness

Post by pdxflowergirl » December 26th, 2013, 2:17 pm

My 2014 resolution is to be more diligent about posting trip reports. In that spirit, I am posting these hikes from 12/24 and 12/25. I was fortunate enough to receive an invitation to spend a few days at my friend's cabin in Stabler, WA.

Day One: Sister Rocks via Big Hollow trail

After Christmas Eve breakfast with my sister and her family, I departed Vancouver to drive to Stabler. Visibility along WA-14 was poor except for a brief clearing at the Cape Horn lookout.

Mary and I set out on the Big Hollow trail around noon. Shortly after our late start, we encountered the icy log crossing. I crawled across on hands and shins while Mary bum-scooted across.

While waiting for her to inch across the icy log, I admired the backlit moss-covered tree grove.

Part way up the trail, we encountered B2B and Buddy finishing up their OP loop hike. After a brief break to chat, we continued up the trail to the junction and headed over to Sister Rocks for some big views of Cascade peaks.

Low winter sun lighting up lingering fog in the valley

Mt. St. Helens looking lovely

puppies soaking up the sunshine

Mary bum-scooting back down from Sister Rocks

racing against the setting sun back to the trailhead

Day Two: Paradise Ridge - a Christmas bushwhack

Bella ready to hit the trail again

We drove along Wind River Hwy to FR 64 and then turned onto unmarked road 201 continuing to its terminus. Somehow we missed the actual trailhead marked with a sign. So after several minutes of searching for signs of trail #124 at the end of the road, we decided to bushwhack up the ridgeline with the hopes of crossing over the trail. For several reasons, this bushwhack route ended up being preferable. I was the wayfinder and ended up following what appeared to be an old jeep trail - lots of stepping over fallen trees and slick branches.

But the ascent was gentle and we ended up finding a rocky outcropping with big mountain views (were they not obscured by clouds).

After a relaxing lunch and sun break, we reversed course and ended up finding trail #124.

Following it north, we decided to turn around while there was plenty of daylight since we weren't exactly sure where we would pop out on the road. Our preference was to avoid bushwhacking in the dark.

Fortunately, we arrived at the Paradise Ridge TH and walked only one mile along the road back to where we parked.

Relaxing by the fire back at the cabin, we enjoyed the rest of Christmas Day crafting and eating too much delicious food!

Wishing you all happy holiday trails!
Kam

aircooled

Re: Christmas 2013 in Trapper Creek Wilderness

Post by aircooled » December 26th, 2013, 6:07 pm

Mary and I set out on the Big Hollow trail around noon. Shortly after our late start, we encountered the icy log crossing. I crawled across on hands and shins while Mary bum-scooted across.
LOL, I know that log - that's a loooong way to bum scoot!

Amazing how little snow there is. Thanks for posting!

pdxflowergirl

Post by pdxflowergirl » December 27th, 2013, 9:08 pm

Snowfall so far is dismal. Last Christmas at my friend's cabin, we were skiing out her front door.
Kam

Crusak

Post by Crusak » December 28th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Great way to spend Christmas. Did you wish for more snow, or were you glad that there was less? It's nice that you had some serious sunshine and blue skies.
pdxflowergirl wrote:My 2014 resolution is to be more diligent about posting trip reports.
Great resolution. I've been very lazy about posting reports, too. Partly because I've been hiking with people who are far superior at taking photos and writing TRs. ;)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

raftingdog

Post by raftingdog » December 28th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Cats in their fur abouts watch the fire Dylan Thomas Childs Christmas in Wales

pdxflowergirl

Post by pdxflowergirl » December 29th, 2013, 5:23 pm

Crusak wrote:Great way to spend Christmas. Did you wish for more snow, or were you glad that there was less? It's nice that you had some serious sunshine and blue skies.
More snow! :D
Kam