Hardy Ridge via Kueffler Road: 11/17/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Re: Hardy Ridge via Kueffler Road: 11/17/13

Post by Guy » November 18th, 2013, 10:18 am

The last time Don had made this crossing, he also slipped and fell, but not quite into the creek....
I'm still not sure how Don kept his feet dry on this trip but I'm sure that if we dropped Don from a great height he would still land on his feet ;) ..

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 18th, 2013, 11:32 am

Looks like a "fun" trip! Wish I'd made it along on this one. :)
Don Nelsen wrote:I did not benchmark that spire but have noted its approx. position ...
If Brad can dig the timestamp from the original photo (it's not in the one posted), the location could be pulled from his GPX. Assuming the camera's clock was close to accurate. This is actually the first thing I do after downloading both the GPX and JPGs from a hike -- get into Basecamp and Geocode the photos! Instant waypoints. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

mandrake

Post by mandrake » November 18th, 2013, 12:37 pm

Last edited by mandrake on May 25th, 2017, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 18th, 2013, 3:48 pm

ForestPanther wrote:As someone who took a spectacular backward splash into ZigZag Canyon Creek after feeling pretty darned cocky rock-hopping (that is, until I landed on a rock that rolled and I went down), I feel Jeremiah's pain. Sorry it happened. Lesson learned: it's better to take your shoes off and have wet, cold feet for a few minutes than take a tumble and be completely soaked!! :lol:
Lesson learned. I didn't think much of it having crossed hundreds of creeks w/o incident. It only takes once though! :lol: Fortunately, I had a spare pair of shoes (THAT I BROUGHT FOR CREEK CROSSINGS!) :roll: On the plus side, I found out I can do 12 miles in Vivo Barefoots. http://s7ondemand1.scene7.com/is/image/ ... roduct475$
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 18th, 2013, 3:58 pm

I've crossed barefoot and cut my foot

I hate carrying extra shoes and having to change

I've used light breathable shoes a little. Then you just walk through without thinking about it and they dry out fairly quickly. But if it's cold and rainy it takes forever to dry and that doesn't work real good either.

If you rock hop or walk across log, sometimes a trekking pole or a stick you pick up from ground helps balance. Sometimes holding a long, fairly heavy pole sideways, like a tightrope walker, helps.

No perfect solution

hike4fun

Post by hike4fun » November 18th, 2013, 6:33 pm

Hey Guys! What a great day on the trail. Even though the weather didn’t totally cooperate, my cheeks still hurt at the end of the day from smiling so much! A big thanks to Brad for organizing! Jeremiah…I hope you made it back in time. And I’m so sorry you took a dunk but glad you were the brave soul that went first. LOL! I had no problem finding moss covered/flat rocks to cross with bare feet. I KNOW I would have taken a swim if I tried that log. Better to go in under my own accord. LOL! Just glad Brad didn’t have the video rolling. It would have been one big BEEEEP!! That water was cold!

A ‘girl’ couldn’t ask for a better group of guys to hike with. It was great to finally meet Brad, Jeremiah and welcome Gene to the group as well. Since I think Brad and I were the only ones with cameras, I’ll go ahead and post some of my pics for the day. I’ve got ones to add of our trip up Hamilton.

And I will hike with Buddy and Timmy any time! But next time I want them to pull ME up the hill. Brad…you cheater!

Yes…Don really is this happy all the time!

My view going up to Phlox Point…of course I’m seeing the backside!

Not a view to be seen!

Thick as soup in some places

Must have a shot of Brad with boot rock!

I clocked my picture at 11:01am! :)

FINALLY! Views as we got closer to Hamilton

A must have beer at the summit. New Belgium Giddy Up!

Don enjoyed it as well

Last peak at the view before we headed back

Return crossing was MUCH easier…thanks to the brilliant idea of laying moss across the log! Way to go Don. No one took a swim!

And it’s official! Thank you Brad! It was such a treat to return to the Mom Van and see the badge of honor bestowed upon Gene and I!
Rachelle

"What's with all these drinkers with hiking problems?"

gene mc

Post by gene mc » November 18th, 2013, 7:12 pm

A thouroughly enjoyable day on the trail. It was great to meet everyone and I really appreciated the warm welcome to the group. Love that picture of Timmy and Buddy, what great trail dogs. Thanks for organizing the hike Brad and for the Portlandhiker.org trail button, I look forward to wearing it on future hikes.
Gene

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » November 18th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Great comments everyone!

Once again it was awesome hiking with this group. I'm sure I'll see them on the trails again. Be sure to wear the PH buttons with pride. :)

What a genius idea to put moss on the log for traction. Maybe someone someday will do some work there to make an easier crossing.

I feel bad about forgetting to forewarn the group about that crossing. Oh well, it made for an adventure.

Hike the good hike,

Brad
Last edited by Born2BBrad on November 19th, 2013, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » November 19th, 2013, 6:43 am

Great trip report, proving a good time can be had by all. Buddy and Timmy in that one shot look like might be thinking "What we do for our people. Give us our beds and a biscuit please."
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

hike4fun

Re: Hardy Ridge vie Kueffler Road: 11/17/13

Post by hike4fun » November 19th, 2013, 9:29 am

Don Nelsen wrote: We stopped and bagged about 3 to 4 pounds of Chanterelles too, so took a little longer to finish

-Don
Don...my friend cooked up those Chanterells for us that night. He said we must have hit the mother load! LOL! They were delish with some white wine and pasta. Thanks for stopping and letting me experience my first mushroom picking. And happy to report...no "tripping like balls"...whatever that meant! LOL! :lol:
Rachelle

"What's with all these drinkers with hiking problems?"