On the Lookout for Badger Creek Loop 24-Oct-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mtnhiker56

Re: On the Lookout for Badger Creek Loop 24-Oct-2013

Post by mtnhiker56 » October 27th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Hi there! According the Barlow Ranger Station in Dufur, that connector trail between #477 and #479 is no longer there although it still appears on maps that were sold at the ranger station as recently as two years ago...The info on those maps is from data constructed in 2002...Nice pics by the way. An enjoyable area and not often visited. One can really be alone out there, yet so close to home.

awildman

Post by awildman » October 28th, 2013, 8:56 pm

Very nice! I have a great fondness for this little wilderness and was curious about the two trails up and back from Badger Creek. Thanks for sharing.

It's too bad the walk up to Flag Point is along the road. The views from the lookout are excellent and worth the sloggy out-and-back.
Rambling on at Allison Outside

pdxflowergirl

Post by pdxflowergirl » November 4th, 2013, 9:32 pm

VM - Thanks for posting this TR. I visited this area two weeks in a row - the first time with Karl on 10/20/2013 and the second time on 10/25/2013 for a solo trek starting at the Gumjuwac Saddle TH. The drive along FR 44 and 4410 was so beautiful with all of the golden larches - highly recommend! Bennett Pass Rd was somewhat terrifying to drive on but the views are outstanding. For most of the trek, I followed the route outlined in the Field Guide for Gunsight Butte-Badger Lake Loop Hike. However, I dropped down to Jean Lake and then went off-trail by following the outlet creek from Jean Lake to where it intersects with the trail that goes down to Badger Lake. After a quick visit to the crowded lake (only part of my hike where I saw other people), I backtracked up to Gumjuwac Saddle to the TH.

Here are a few pictures from that day...

Mt. Hood viewed from Bennett Pass Rd

wilderness boundary sign on the trail to Jean Lake

Max playing with the trout at Jean Lake

Badger Lake
Kam