Yocum Ridge (Almost Like Summer!) 18-Oct-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Re: Yocum Ridge (Almost Like Summer!) 18-Oct-2013

Post by Guy » October 20th, 2013, 6:22 pm

I'll Piggy back on Van's report too with a few photos from our Saturday Trip:

Exploring the South side of Yocum Ridge.

Nat playing on Rocks!

Up on the ridge looking West over the North side

Top of the ridge on the South side.

The McNeil Shelter.

Illumination Rock

A bit of a slideshow:

http://youtu.be/9JZRkDi61Mk

& a few more pics here.

Another fantastic day on Hood!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Zia

Post by Zia » October 21st, 2013, 8:57 pm

All these great pictures makes me want to go check this hike out. Couple of questions. The field guide marks this as difficult. Is it because of the length of the hike or is it technically difficult to do? Also In the area's where the snow is, did you need spikes to get around/not slip/etc.?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 21st, 2013, 9:29 pm

Of course the difficulty in the field guide is just a suggestion and some of them are probably accidentally mis-classified

One thing about Barret Spur is there is no official trail, that is there's no sign identifying it or no number or anything. (In other words maybe it's not that bad)

The trail out of Wy'East Basin is easy to see. The trail is pretty straightforward, not that much more difficult than any other trail.

The trail that goes by Dollar Lake is difficult to find where it leaves the Timberline Trail. There's a rock cairn (if someone hasn't knocked it over). I usually walk by it without seeing it. But after that it's not that much worse than regular trails.

When you get most of the way up, both trails sort of peter out going over rocks. It would be easy to lose the trail, not a big deal going up because you just keep going up in an obvious direction, but going down, it would be easy to forget where the trail was, and there are places where there are cliffs and other difficulties.

Just be cautious, be prepared to turn around, keep looking backwards so you know how to go back, let someone know where you went, etc.

just one person's opinion

Zia

Post by Zia » October 21st, 2013, 9:36 pm

I appreciate any and all opinions heh. I tend to research every hike I do and like to get as firm a grip on what I'm planning as I can. Especially if I've never been there before. So thank you for the information :)

Guy

Post by Guy » October 22nd, 2013, 4:04 am

Yeah, only listed difficult because of the distance Zia. The trail is never even steep - just long!

We didn't need any traction devices, there is only really any snow on the last mile.

One thing to remember the mapped trail ends at the first big view of the Sandy River Canyon. Remember to make the switchback there and follow the user trail (& our footprints) to the big view on the North side of the ridge.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 22nd, 2013, 5:10 am

Oh - I was talking about Barret Spur - old age is a b....

Yeah, Yocum Ridge just long - unless you go beyond where the trail ends - someone broke their leg where it goes over steep rocks

Zia

Post by Zia » October 22nd, 2013, 5:41 am

retired jerry wrote:Oh - I was talking about Barret Spur - old age is a b....

Yeah, Yocum Ridge just long - unless you go beyond where the trail ends - someone broke their leg where it goes over steep rocks

:lol: I was wondering..but hey like I said I'll take any advice on trails. You never know I might add Barret Spur on my to do list and now I have a head start on that trip research.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 22nd, 2013, 6:21 am

There have been a number of trip reports for Barret Spur recently. It and Yocum Ridge are both great hikes. Barret Spur probably a little closer to trailhead but especially the last part of a mile is less of a trail.

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » October 22nd, 2013, 3:36 pm

We were just next door at Paradise Park and didn't need any type of spikes or snowshoes. Thanks VanMarmot for the report. We relied on it in making a decision Saturday morning and in the end strapped snowshoes to our packs which only added weight ~~ but Kevin did use them as photo props.

This past weekend was a great time to be on the mountain!

Ann
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir