Wallowas W of Lostine 6 days, meadows, no crowds, 8/8/13+

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Conrad59

Wallowas W of Lostine 6 days, meadows, no crowds, 8/8/13+

Post by Conrad59 » September 28th, 2013, 10:18 am

I already posted this on nwhikers.net, but I finally realized it might also be appreciated (more?) on portlandhikers.

This was 5-1/2 days, 1-1/2 of it off-trail in the best Class 1 exploring country I know anywhere. Many grassy meadows, often containing clear slow sandy trout streams. Many lakes. 4 out of 5 nights I had my lake or meadow totally to myself. I went one 3-day stretch not seeing a single person. No bugs! (almost). But that was luck; I've been here in August before with bad mosquitoes. But this seemed like a dryer summer, so maybe that's why. Great weather; it threatened storms several afternoons, but actually only rained in the wee hours a couple of nights.

Day 1 (8/7W): To Wood Lake
Image=(magenta = off-trail)
Woke up & got up around 2 AM, drove to Lostine & up the Lostine River, started up the Bowman Creek Trail around 7 AM. I took a side trip to visit Brownie Basin, which has unlimited meadow camping and the usual clear slow trout stream. Then past Laverty & Chimney Lakes & up to "Chimney Pass", then down to Wood Lake, which I had all to myself for the night. I saw noone on the trail all day, just passed a couple camped at Chimney Lake. At Wood Lake I was surprised by an apparent flu or something; I was suddenly exhausted and chilled, and barely got my tent up and contacts out before crashing for about 11 hours.
Image=Laverty Lake
Image=Chimney Lake
Image=Wood Lake

Day 2 (8/8Th): To Swamp Basin
This day was all off-trail & I saw noone all day. The route I planned on the map all worked, with nothing very scary or really above Class 1. No nasty brush bashing, either; the woods here are fairly uncluttered.

I packed up and headed NW over a little pass, partly on scraps of possible old trail. Then I contoured and descended N down a spur to "Lower Meadow" a mile NW of Wood Lake, containing foot-long trout. Then I climbed a spur and gully N until it turned W into a little flat meadow, then SSW up a dry draw until it faded into the slope above the cliffs W of Lower Meadow. Fortunately this slope was an easy walk, contouring S and then dropping into "Side Meadow" (midway crow-wise between Wood Lake and Swamp Basin), then W up a step to "Upper Side Meadow". Here I examined my options for getting up the steeper 300' to "Swamp Basin Pass". I decided to try the gully straight up NW and a bit to the right side of the pass, and it worked fine. Longer and more exposed than what I usually do, but it was really just a staircase of rocks and grass, so as long as I didn't actually lose my balance and fall backwards I was fine. I also used my new ice axe for the first time, for a nice bit of added security.
Image=Lower Meadow from above the cliffs to the W
Image=Side Meadow & Swamp Basin Pass

From Swamp Basin Pass I walked down to "Swamp Basin Lake", which I had all to myself for the night.
Image=Swamp Basin Lake

Day 3 (8/9F): To Bear Lake
Again I saw noone all day, even though after noon I was back on trail.

I packed up and headed back over Swamp Basin Pass, then contoured S on the bench to "Bear Pass" N of Bear Lake, crossing a huge meadow on the way. From Bear Pass I was back on trail for the rest of the trip. I hiked down past Bear Lake to the Washboard Trail fork at the pass 1/2 mile SW of Bear Lake, then continued W on the Washboard Trail. I was planning to camp in the meadows N of Sandy Saddle, but just past Sandy Saddle I hit a piece of trail I didn't care for. It was actual trail, but it had the typical slippery sandy surface for this area, and below the trail the ground sloped down to a cliff. So, I said "no thanks" and returned to a nice little meadow on Bear Creek near the Washboard fork, which I had all to myself for the night.
Image=Meadow N of Bear Pass
Image=Little Bear Lake
Image=Bear Creek meadow

Day 4 (8/10Sa): To Steamboat Lake
This was the least exciting day. First, a long switchbacky drop through forest (or, in places, hot brush) to North Minam Meadows. North Minam Meadows did not excite me; the meadows are tall-grass marshy, not good for roaming, although it turned out there were some dry paths here and there to get to the river. The camps are horsey. OTOH, the river itself, which looked muddy from 1000' up, turned out to be clear and gravelly. After lunch I headed on for Steamboat Lake. This turned into the slog from hell. Maybe I was still sick, but it took me 5 hours to gain the 2000'. I got to the lake after 7 PM, too late & tired for dinner. OTOH, I had the lake all to myself again.

I actually met two people (solo hikers like me) this day; one on the way down to N Minam Meadows, and the other on the slog up to Steamboat Lake.
Image=North Minam Meadows
Image=Steamboat Lake

Day 5 (8/11Su): To Lostine Meadows
Lots of nice scenery this day. First I ascended to Swamp Lake, perhaps the
prettiest spot of the trip. Then I continued over "Sky Lake Plateau", down past Sky Lake (which has a nice little camping meadow just outside the lake bowl), down through Elkhorn Basin (possibly my favorite spot anywhere), down through Copper Basin, and finally down Copper Creek to the Lostine. I almost didn't have to wade the Lostine in this low-water season, but someone hadn't tossed quite enough stepping stones in. I had a comfortable camp in Lostine Meadows; there was actually another party nearby, but they were out of sight and quiet.
Image=Swamp Lake
Image=Meadow by Sky Lake
Image=Elkhorn Basin
Image=Copper Basin
Image=Lostine Meadow

Day 6 (8/12M): Home
I got on the trail by about 7 AM, down the Lostine to Two Pan TH about 9, and down the road to my car by about 10 AM.

retired jerry

Re: Wallowas W of Lostine 6 days, meadows, no crowds, 8/8/13

Post by retired jerry » September 28th, 2013, 11:00 am

Nice route. I went up Lostine a year earlier and there were many people.

I think you could spend a lifetime exploring the Wallowas.

How many miles do you suppose you did?

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » September 28th, 2013, 11:01 am

Great TR Conrad! I love the maps with the routes highlighted. It helps me understand what you are describing.

Hike on,
Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Conrad59

Post by Conrad59 » September 28th, 2013, 11:18 am

retired jerry wrote:How many miles do you suppose you did?
Thanks guys. Don't know precise mileage since I don't track GPS, the USGS maps I used have no trail mileages, and part was off-trail anyway, but just from the 5-1/2 days minus that I was apparently sick, minus a ~40-lb pack, it ought to be roughly 50 miles.

I agree that there are generally many people up the Lostine (E Fork & Minam Lake), but on this route the crowds seem much thinner.

awildman

Post by awildman » September 28th, 2013, 11:29 am

Very nice trip report! I did a similar loop (without the visit to Swamp Basin) just after you in mid-August. Also didn't encounter many people. We hiked up to Hobo Lake and scrambled OT to Lookout Mountain, where we had a nice view of Swamp Basin and Bear Lake. I think you can easily take that ridge down to the saddle you crossed north of Bear Lake to visit those areas. It would be nice to hit area that as a lollipop day/night and then take the trail back past Chimney Lake, to avoid the long slog down to North Minam Meadows (going through Brownie Basin instead). When you were over in those basins, was there evidence of much use?

Thanks for sharing!
Rambling on at Allison Outside

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 28th, 2013, 12:24 pm

"but on this route the crowds seem much thinner."

Yeah, good idea for next time I go up there, thanks

Conrad59

Post by Conrad59 » September 28th, 2013, 12:46 pm

awildman wrote:was there evidence of much use?
Very little. There is an old trail from Bear Lake N uphill to "Bear Saddle"; it fades out near the spring on the USGS map, so it's hard to stay on when heading downhill. On the N side of Bear Saddle, just E of the permanent snowfield, you can see (from below) an old switchback, but so sluffed as to be useless for walking. I found no human sign in the huge meadow N & NW of Bear Saddle, nor anywhere in Swamp Basin, nor in any of the off-trail meadows I went through in Day 2 of my TR. On an earlier trip I did find an old campsite in the meadow 1/2 mile W of Wood Lake (which I reached by walking N a mile down the bench from Little Hobo Lake).

romann

Post by romann » September 28th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Great detail and pictures. Looks like top-notch alpine area to explore. You were lucky with T-storms (the lack of) and mosquitoes - one time I've been to the Wallowas the bugs were epic.

It's interesting how some (most of?) popular wilderness areas have a little spot or a couple of trails that get crowded, while the rest of the wilderness doesn't see many people at all.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » September 28th, 2013, 2:01 pm

That's a great trip and a great report, Conrad. That area is high on the list of possibilities for my next Wallowas trip, and your tracks give me some good ideas. Bummer you had the flu thing, but I'm glad you were able to finish the trip in spite of it. BTW, I've yet to see a bug in the Wallowas; my time's coming, I'm sure.

awildman

Post by awildman » September 28th, 2013, 2:41 pm

texasbb wrote:BTW, I've yet to see a bug in the Wallowas; my time's coming, I'm sure.
Oh, Texas, Texas, Texas... you just set yourself up for an epic 2014. :)
Rambling on at Allison Outside