T-Hike on Timberline Trail, Mt. Hood: 9/26-9/27

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
awildman

Re: T-Hike on Timberline Trail, Mt. Hood: 9/26-9/27

Post by awildman » September 29th, 2013, 11:10 am

Thanks, everyone!
drm wrote:I've still never figured out why people think it is creepy.
For me, it's the monotony and precise spacing of the trees, the propensity for clouds and fog to sit on the plateau, and the quiet. It's a very disorienting place. I've also encountered some Very Strange People and Things up there and have gotten turned around more than once.

To be clear, I don't dislike Benson Plateau. I just prefer to have other people with me when I'm up there for the night.
K.Wagner wrote:On the bear question, a number of years ago, we camped in Cairn Basin. That night, got to listen to a bear ripping apart a log, I suppose looking for larvae. We didn't get any sleep while that was going on!
Thrilling! I don't think I would have been able to sleep for the rest of the night.

I hadn't been to Cairn Basin since the fire and I was really shocked to see how much it was impacted. I'm glad that I got to experience it as a meadowy forest back in the day. Though the views are quite good now... Have you been back recently?
Rambling on at Allison Outside

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » September 29th, 2013, 11:46 am

That trip was ....... well, back around 1975. Have not been back since.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

aircooled

Post by aircooled » September 29th, 2013, 5:54 pm

You got some incredible pictures - the light is perfect! Well done and thanks for sharing.

HenryG

Post by HenryG » September 30th, 2013, 3:49 pm

vibramhead wrote:Wow. Just one beautiful shot after another. The first one especially.
Yes to Vibramhead and i would add #6 and 7 and 11 and 12 and .......... oh your pictures constantly floor me. Great report and a reminder to me that weather can enhance things.

travelmonkey

Post by travelmonkey » September 30th, 2013, 8:15 pm

I think my friend and I saw you on Thursday afternoon maybe less than a mile from the Elk Cove/Timberline Jct. The dog with the red pack (aka your driver) looks familiar. We were near a meadow having a late lunch. A couple and their dog had just walked by not much before you. Considering that it was a weekday and the weather was to be iffy (soon to be an understatement) for the weekend, I didn't expect to see anyone. You had mentioned going to McNeil Pt but it was too snowy. Our goal was to do the loop sans Eliot. We camped for the night at the intersection for the TT, PCT and trail down to the Top Spur parking lot. 3 other hikers came in about 830/9p after having done about 17 miles. The next morning we all got some updated weather forecast from some day hikers, one of which was a former search and rescue guy. Needless to say, they weren't favorable to be on the mountain for long. We ended bailing on Friday night. I think our drive home on I-84 from Hwy 35 was worse than any of the rain we endured on the trip though. Your photos are amazing, thanks for sharing.
Attachments
IMG_6268.JPG

awildman

Post by awildman » October 1st, 2013, 9:25 am

K.Wagner wrote:That trip was ....... well, back around 1975. Have not been back since.
It's probably time for a re-visit. :)
travelmonkey wrote:I think my friend and I saw you on Thursday afternoon maybe less than a mile from the Elk Cove/Timberline Jct. The dog with the red pack (aka your driver) looks familiar.
Yes, I remember! I thought about you guys a lot over the weekend, wondering if you made it all the way around or if you ended up bailing. I'm glad you got off the mountain before it got really gnarly! How did you get to your car(s) on Friday? Did you continue counter-clockwise or hike back to Elk Cove?

travelmonkey

Post by travelmonkey » October 1st, 2013, 5:29 pm

We were going counterclockwise so our adventure started at the Elk Cove TH. Our end point was the Tilly Jane TH so we dropped a car there and then got dropped off at Elk Cove. Since we went to plan B, we were going to bail at Timberline Lodge since we were going to stop there Saturday anyway. Well let's just say we got derailed which in the end turned out to be a blessing as the weather did indeed turned gnarly. It would have been pretty bad being in storm 1 & 2 while near Paradise or Zig Zag. Our adventure turned out to be one of those ones you hear about from other people. Around 5p we hitched a ride from some people (we're talking running out of some bushes to flag down a truck :) ) and did not make it back to the car until around 8p on Friday. I think we were on plan D by that point. I didn't realize you and the pup were camping. Elk Cove was new for me but it's one of my Timberline favorites now. I've been to most sections in the last 3 months and look forward to doing the loop in amazing weather next year. Small world to find you on here! Loved your photos.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » October 1st, 2013, 6:46 pm

Wow great photos! Great trip
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

awildman

Post by awildman » October 1st, 2013, 6:56 pm

travelmonkey wrote:Around 5p we hitched a ride from some people (we're talking running out of some bushes to flag down a truck :) ) and did not make it back to the car until around 8p on Friday.
:lol: Where did you jump them flag them down? Did they give you a ride all the way back to your car or did you have to hike up the Cooper Spur road?

Well, you'll get around next year for sure. And you can file this trip away as a good story.

travelmonkey

Post by travelmonkey » October 3rd, 2013, 9:26 am

HA! We ended up on a road that intersected with section of the PCT. There was one nice camp spot that we were set up to hunker down in. It came complete with it's own rapidly filling "pond". We heard a car and it passed. Awhile later we heard another and that's when I ran and jumped out of the bushes waving them down. As it turns out, they had rescued another guy hours earlier that had flipped his truck on that road. The driver took us back to the Tilly Jane TH and my car but not before dropping off his friend, swapping trucks, replacing a headlight (don't ask), stopping for gas, a sandwich at Subway and missing the 1rst turn to the TH causing us to take a back way. This became a "hike as I say, not as I do" type of adventure. Had we not felt safe we would have done what we needed to do. I should add that we had our own protection, if you will. However you can never assume how someone is going to be. You kind of have to take your faith in humanity and add a very health dose of smarts and awareness. An offering of coffee, a packet of pop tarts and some cash for gas always helps! :)