Crater Lake, Mt. Scott - June 21-22, 2008

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BCJ

Crater Lake, Mt. Scott - June 21-22, 2008

Post by BCJ » June 27th, 2008, 11:04 am

I preapologize for the fuzz that continues to appear on my photos.

My buddy and I wanted to go do a fun weekend trip and I was getting tired of the Gorge so we decided to try one last snowshoe trip for the year. We settled on Crater Lake with the intent of summiting Mt. Scott. I called ahead to the park and they said that snow conditions were very poor for snowshoeing, but we were determined so we went anyway. The trip from park headquarters to the base of Mt. Scott is 12.5 miles and then it's another 2.5 miles or so to the top of Scott. As the entire route before the Scott part was going to be on the road, I completely underestimated how strenuous the trip would be to fit into a weekend.

We started from park headquarters at a little after noon on Saturday and were immediately on snow. The weather was overcast with some occasional light showers, but nothing too bad. I realized on the way down that we were fortunate that the sun wasn't out much on Saturday because that would have made the snow even worse. It was fairly sloppy and suncupped so it made the going a lot more tiresome than I had imagined.

Typical stretch of road...

View along the way...

Mt. Scott...

It took us about five hours to cover the 12.5 miles to Scott and that is where the real adventure began.

We were hoping that the trail would be uncovered on part of the mountain so it would be easy to get up, but we weren't that lucky. The snow by then was very soft and steep and it was very tedious trying to get up. I do have to say that I absolutely love my MSR Denali Ascent EVO snowshoes...they worked like crampons and it would have been impossible to get up (and then down) without them. As there wasn't a route to follow, we made the best line we could find up and around the mountain and, after about two hours, we finally arrived on top. We decided to make camp there and did so in a small, windsheltered spot just a few feet from the lookout station.

The night was very cold and very, very windy. We were fortunate that the weather cleared up in the evening and the sunset was beautiful. We made dinner and went to bed, but sleep was a little difficult with the way the wind was whipping all around.

The morning was again beautiful and we got going early so we could get home to our families at a decent hour. The views extended for a long way in all directions and we could clearly see the Three Sister and thier nearby peaks, Mt. McLoughlin, Mt. Thielsen and Mt. Shasta. Of course, the lake was gorgeous.

Getting down Scott was a challenge as the soft and sloppy snow from the evening before had turned to solid ice. There was a lot of dry ground up high with a few ice patches so we went without snowshoes until the lower sections. I slipped and fell on the ice when my trekking pole folded in half and slid down about 25-30' before catching myself on a tree. I scraped up my arm pretty good and took a large chunk of skin out of my thumb (very painful). The trekking pole ended up in two pieces (Leki Ultralight; this is my second broken pair so I'm taking them back to REI to get something else as I don't trust these now). We got down to some steep snow slopes in the forested lower sections and I was a bit nervous about how we were going to get down without crampons. We tried the snowshoes and they stuck like champs and getting down the 30-40 degree slopes turned out to be much easier than we expected. This could not have been done with the classic (Atlas-style) snowshoes.

More views from along the way...

The slog back to the car was long and very tiring. The snow had firmed up overnight, which made the long stretches of suncupped snow quite exhausting. The snow was firm enough that once we got back on the road I went for most of the way down without snowshoes. This was mostly to take advantage of the dry pavement that made an occasional appearance. I would guess that the road was about 80% covered with snow, but that 20% of pavement was always great to see.

We made it down to the car by a little after noon on Sunday after having covered a lot of ground. I was happy to be sitting. The North Entrance of the park opened on Friday (which I didn't find out until we got there Saturday morning as the park website said it was still closed) so that cut over an hour off the drive home to Hillsboro.

Views from the car...

Mt. Scott...

The trip was strenuous but wonderful and I'm looking forward to going back next year (earlier in the season) to snowshoe the entire rim. I don't expect that the road will be open for at least another month. The road is still 80% covered in snow and there are many places where it's still more than 10' deep. There is also a lot of large rockfall covering the road that will take some time to clear out once the snow does melt. We only saw two other people (day hikers/snowshoers) and that was on the way out about a mile from park headquarters. The ranger who gave us our backcountry permits said he hadn't given out almost any of those in quite a while and was surprised that we were trying to do Mt. Scott as a weekend trip.

Total mileage was about 30 with an estimated elevation gain/loss of about 4000' (this includes a lot of ups and downs and route-finding corrections on Scott).

markesc

Re: Crater Lake, Mt. Scott - June 21-22, 2008

Post by markesc » June 27th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Wow!

Great photos, great writing, and congrats, def. not an easy trip! I can relate as I used to go up there all the time for sunrises in the winter as I went to school at SOU in Ashland from '98-'02....but I never did an overnight trip. I like the shot with Mt. Shasta in it! Thanks for sharing!! It's really deceiving how much work it is to make it around that lake, even a trip from the lodge to the watchman and back is a good workout!! I guess people ski around it and make it a 2/3 day trip in favorable snow conditions....

meana39

Post by meana39 » June 27th, 2008, 6:15 pm

What beautiful photos! We climbed Mount Scott last summer, but have never been there in the winter. It was wonderful to see the different scenery! Thanks for sharing.
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

fettster

Post by fettster » June 27th, 2008, 9:36 pm

Now this is why we live in Oregon. Awesome trip! Even with all the effort I wish I coulda been there too. Thanks for posting the report so we could at least it experience it that way.

jaimito

Post by jaimito » June 27th, 2008, 9:45 pm

I must say un#$@%*&! real… Great trip report.

cheers

Jewelle

Post by Jewelle » June 27th, 2008, 11:56 pm

Hey, thanks for the heads up. I'm planning a 7 day backpack trip around Crater Lake in Sept. I plan on spending the night on Mt. Scott during a full moon. Hope to get some good shots. Thanks for the photos, give's me a look as to what I'm headed for.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 28th, 2008, 12:02 am

Great trip report and photos.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » June 28th, 2008, 11:30 am

I haven't seen this quality of photos in a while...nice job...and a great recommendation...I need to buy some snowshoes!

BCJ

Post by BCJ » June 28th, 2008, 11:11 pm

Thanks much for all of the kind words. It really was a beautiful trip and I would have liked to have continued around the rim to complete the loop but we didn't have the time. I think this trip would have been much easier if done in three days. The climb up Scott wasn't too technically-challenging, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're comfortable on steep ice...I'd also recommend crampons, if you have them.

Also, that shot across the summit ridge of Scott with the mountian in the background wasn't Shasta, that's McLoughlin. Below is a shot of Shasta (along with that annoying fuzz in the top center of the photo)...

Here are some shots of the other peaks around that I left out of the original report because the shots were ruined by the fuzz (I need a new camera)...

Thielsen

Three Sisters and neighboring peaks

McLoughlin

BCJ

Post by BCJ » June 28th, 2008, 11:26 pm

Jewelle wrote:Hey, thanks for the heads up. I'm planning a 7 day backpack trip around Crater Lake in Sept. I plan on spending the night on Mt. Scott during a full moon. Hope to get some good shots. Thanks for the photos, give's me a look as to what I'm headed for.
Make sure you find out before you go what the camping regulations are for Mt. Scott...I didn't see any no camping signs, but there really aren't many places to set up on top and it gets a lot of people there in the summer so camping there may be a challenge. Below are a couple of shots of where we set up...seemed to be the only decent spot around, but you can see how close to the ranger lookout it is...