Mt Hood Paradise Park from Ramona falls (KaraokeMouse) 7-13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
MarsIsCobra

Mt Hood Paradise Park from Ramona falls (KaraokeMouse) 7-13

Post by MarsIsCobra » July 30th, 2013, 6:47 am

Mt Hood Paradise Park from Ramona Falls trailhead (Karaoke Mouse Reggae mix) July 2013

Obera and I hiked into Paradise Park from the Ramona Falls trailhead. I think we only saw two backpackers until we got to Paradise Park loop. There we talked to a few day hikers, one solo camper and two or three small backpacking groups. We had the trail entirely to ourselves on the hike back. It constantly amazes me how we have such unique access to the gorgeous land around us.

The hot day made the Sandy river crossing a high point. With a little planning, it was easy. More than that, it was gorgeously refreshing. Then a long viewless hike from the river up to the first vista. Once we got up into the loop the views were fantastic with the mountain and flowers in bloom. I smelled all the flowers and like the red ones best. We got into some flies (see the video at 1:35), but the wind kept them at bay most of the time. On top, numerous small and very cold creeks kept us cool. The river crossing on the way back was just as delightful as the first time (did I mention the day was very hot). Sorry I don't have a lot more trip report details, I just like to hike and make videos :)

Watch in HD for better experience
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPsMhoV4K7I&hd=1

http://gpsfly.org/a/2681

retired jerry

Re: Mt Hood Paradise Park from Ramona falls (KaraokeMouse) 7

Post by retired jerry » July 30th, 2013, 7:01 am

Nice you can make use of waterproof camera :)

I like those sections of trail, like Sandy to Paradise Park that have fewer people

I've tried crossing streams barefoot, sometimes cut my foot. I much prefer hopping rocks or logs. Or breathable shoe and synthetic socks that dry out quickly.

obera

Post by obera » July 30th, 2013, 8:52 am

This was such a great hike! I was surprised at how few people we saw out there.

So much hiking opportunity, so little time. Lousy job getting in the way! :D
oh-beer-ah

drm

Post by drm » July 30th, 2013, 9:27 am

Not many people because there are higher trailheads with less altitude gain to get to Paradise Park.

For the normal person, minimizing EG is a priority. Some of us are not normal. :lol:

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » July 30th, 2013, 9:37 am

drm wrote:For the normal person, minimizing EG is a priority. Some of us are not normal. :lol:
not normal :shock: precisely why we picked the Ramona Falls trailhead :)

@retired jerry - yes, the gopro comes stock in a waterproof housing. I have fun with it, need to find ways to get more creative.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 30th, 2013, 9:40 am

That was pretty good. It showed how you guys were having a good time. Showed some good views, like that overlook of Sandy River below Paradise Park.

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » July 30th, 2013, 9:49 am

retired jerry wrote:That was pretty good. It showed how you guys were having a good time. Showed some good views, like that overlook of Sandy River below Paradise Park.
There is no view finder on the gopro, you just "point and hope" :) I usually video while moving, so things are shaky and I never really know what I've got until I get home. Then it's weeding through an hour of footage as quickly as possible. This time I ended up with very few great landscape shots. But yeah - the hike was a blast and we did have fun. As always. I love hiking.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » July 30th, 2013, 6:37 pm

MarsIsCobra wrote:T As always. I love hiking.
Bammm! THAT :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » July 30th, 2013, 8:46 pm

Awesome!

When are you guys going to return to TFF hiking mob style? :D

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » July 31st, 2013, 7:32 am

Eric Peterson wrote:When are you guys going to return to TFF hiking mob style? :D
Yes! Need to join or organize a mob hike soon. Maybe towards the end of August. 17 or 24?

I'm still wanting to do another ruckle ridge hike with a mob. I'd like to use the "headband" strap for the gopro and have everyone wear it as we each do the catwalk.

To push it further, head down to Chinidere and come back the eagle/benson trail. Not a full on looney hike, but pretty bad ass nonetheless.

For those wanting to join in and do ruckle ridge but not the extended chinidere leg, they could head down Ruckle Creek trail after the hike up to the plateau.

heh! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tj0-vIzGig&hd=1